Looking for info on world record jet aircraft

Old May 27th 12, 06:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Ted Parvo

Default Looking for info on world record jet aircraft

I'm looking for *verification for a claimed Guinness World Record for
World's smallest jet aircraft. A BD5.

The link on the Guinness site has not worked for months. I have
contacted them, and through email exchanges, their representative has
indicated they have no knowledge of this aircraft

The person claiming the record, a guy by the name of Juan Jimenez, has
informed me that the reason I cannot find the record is because I
"have the IQ of a pin", and do not know "which database to search".

I am quite sure I have searched the "correct database", and reasonably
sure the people at Guinness know their own database and how to search
it, but the final response to detailed questions about this BD5 is
that they have no knowledge of it.

Can anyone in this forum shed light on this discrepancy?
Old May 27th 12, 07:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Richard Isakson

"Ted Parvo" wrote in message

I'm looking for verification for a claimed Guinness World Record for
World's smallest jet aircraft. A BD5.

The link on the Guinness site has not worked for months. I have
contacted them, and through email exchanges, their representative has
indicated they have no knowledge of this aircraft

The person claiming the record, a guy by the name of Juan Jimenez, has
informed me that the reason I cannot find the record is because I
"have the IQ of a pin", and do not know "which database to search".

I am quite sure I have searched the "correct database", and reasonably
sure the people at Guinness know their own database and how to search
it, but the final response to detailed questions about this BD5 is
that they have no knowledge of it.

Can anyone in this forum shed light on this discrepancy?

Ted,

You may find enlightenment through a search of the archives of this group.
Or you might look up the definition of the word Apteryx.

Rich Isakson

Old May 27th 12, 11:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Ted Parvo

On May 27, 1:48*pm, "Richard Isakson" wrote:
"Ted Parvo" *wrote in message

[...]

I have done some research, including this forum. There is no record of
flight that I can find, although it has apparently passed some taxi
tests.

I'm curious mostly because Guinness seems to have no official
recollection of the aircraft, which seems odd. Even if the record has
been beat, they should have it in their archives. It is Deregistered,
could that have something to do with it? Or it some sort of scam they
don't want to discuss?

Old May 28th 12, 01:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Bob Moore

Ted Parvo wrote
I'm looking for *verification for a claimed Guinness World Record for
World's smallest jet aircraft. A BD5.

Can there not be a "World's Smallest Jet Aircraft" without involving
a "Guinness World Record"? It is my understanding that in order to
claim a "Guinness World Record", one must make application and provide
proof to the Guinness orginization. Maybe no one applied.

However....just Google BD-5J and you will find that there have been
several built and I have personally seen one of fly an aerobatic routine
at an airshow.

Bob Moore
Old May 28th 12, 01:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Richard Isakson

"Ted Parvo" wrote in message

[...]

I believe that at one time people were pushing so hard for records that they
started getting hurt and Guinness disallowed some categories. Whether the
category "smallest jet to fly that's never flown" was one of those
categories, I have no idea.

Richard Isakson

Old May 28th 12, 06:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, Bob Moore said:
However....just Google BD-5J and you will find that there have been
several built and I have personally seen one of fly an aerobatic routine
at an airshow.

However the one Jimenez bought, which he claims on Wikipedia "held the
Guiness record for World's Smallest Jet for more than 25 years" has never
been seen to fly. When I pointed that out on the Talk page for the BD5
entry, he got very angry and claimed that he was going to fly it any day
now, while not denying that it has never flown. He hasn't updated that
assertion since 2006.

Jimenez himself, posting as "Flybd5", is the main source for all the
information about it on Wikipedia, you can take anything it says there
with a massive grain of salt. It is currently listed on his web site as
"for sale", again with no indication that it has ever flown, but that page
hasn't been updated in a very long time. http://bd5.com/my5j.htm

--
Paul Tomblin http://blog.xcski.com/
"You are installing Internet Explorer 4.0. Windows NT needs to overwrite
Old May 28th 12, 07:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Philippe[_5_]

le dimanche 27 mai 2012 19:33, Ted Parvo a écrit:

I'm looking for verification for a claimed Guinness World Record for
World's smallest jet aircraft. A BD5.

too heavy!!!
http://www.minijets.org/typo3/index.php?id=25
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=7Y-AL3YfWzM
I think MC15J is the winer

--
Philippe Vessaire Ò¿Ó¬

Old May 29th 12, 02:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Wayne Paul

Though Jimenez's BD5J may have never flown, there have been several that
have. I saw a demonstration team at an airshow that was flying BD5Js. Here
is a YouTube video relating to the one that appeared in a James Bond movie.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gPc2D9FMOo

and here is the it's last flight in Arizona
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38Wq8...eature=related

Undoubtedly today's smallest jet aircraft is the cricri.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Y-AL3YfWzM

Wayne
http://www.soaridaho.com/

Old May 29th 12, 08:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Ted Parvo

and here is the it's last flight in Arizonahttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38Wq8Fulsfc&feature=related

[...]

Thanks for the info. I don't think Juan's has flown, and I don't know
if his holds any record anymore. He's not very eager to answer
questions. I've found that he's a bit of a prick, to say the least.

Old May 31st 12, 03:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Ted Parvo

In article ,
(Paul Tomblin) wrote:

[...]

His posting name is why I looked into the BD5, and I stumbled on
something that's not adding up.

If it's never flown, how can it get an aircraft record? Was this claim
used to market the aircraft or designers, based on this specific kit
that never flew?

No-one involved seems eager to answer these questions, and they
shouldn't be. It is a curiosity that the record holder of 25 years
angrily won't, and the issuer of the record claims complete ignorance
of this aircraft, or the BD5. No hits on a search of their site.

If there were a simple answer, I'd have it by now, but there seems to
be no answer at all, and that's just a bit damn weird, as is the
holder of this "record".

new gliding world record Tony[_5_] Soaring 1 March 1st 12 02:55 AM
New world speed record: 534 km/h! [email protected] Soaring 8 September 23rd 06 02:25 PM
World Record? Rabid enthusiast Soaring 1 March 18th 06 03:18 AM
World Record 31,000 feet Paul Repacholi Soaring 16 December 8th 04 06:10 PM
World Record Glider Tow! Robs-Birds Soaring 3 November 18th 04 06:16 PM