AOPA credit card --- WARNING.

Old November 25th 04, 10:43 PM
Matt Whiting

Casey Wilson wrote:

"RS" wrote in message
news:%Cqpd.97927$5K2.50864@attbi_s03...

"Casey Wilson" wrote in message
news:FUppd.10488$1B2.4184@trnddc02...

I'm with Paul. If you can't afford to pay off the balance at the end
of the month, then you can't afford to use the card in the first place.

Are you a supporter of legalized loan sharking? Because that is what I
think MBNA is doing. Not to mention that MBNA has surpassed Enron as the
biggest contributor to George Bush. It's all good, move along folks,
nothing to worry about...

Nothing in my post warranted your response. I'll put it this way, if
you don't like what they offer, close your account. MBNA isn't holding a gun
to your head. Sheesh!

Casey, you obviously don't understand liberals. They feel that they
shouldn't have to take responsibility for their actions, but rather be
protected and looked after by the government.

Matt

Old November 25th 04, 10:49 PM
Matt Whiting

RS wrote:

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message

But tell me, what will you do when home, auto and commercial proprerty
loan companies hike their rates just because they feel like it? Even if
you pay on time, every time. All they need to do is lobby hard enough to
put it into law and you are totally screwed.

What then, Mr Clever Guy?

I'm not following you. If you pay "on time, every time" -- credit card
companies CAN'T charge you any interest.

What would you do if they hiked the APR on your auto or home loan just
because they felt like it, even if you had a perfect payment history? Well,
that's what the credit card companys are doing now - they are changing the
rules mid-stream. Credit is credit - regardless what it is for. You guys on
your high moral horses about paying credit cards off every month do not
impress me (unless you have zero credit - no home, auto, commercial loans at
all).

They aren't changing the rules midstream. Read your credit card
agreement. This is all spelled out in there. I actually read mine and
it is quite appalling what you agree to when you accept a credit card,
but it is hardly a rules change mid-stream. I don't care about all of
these issues as I pay my bill in full each month and they can't charge
me anything for that, because the agreement says so!

Likewise, my home mortgage can't be changed arbitrarily other than the
annual adjustment due to its being an ARM. However, this is likewise
all spelled out in the agreement I signed when I got the loan.

As for car loans, anyone buying a car on a loan is almost as foolish as
anyone carrying a credit card balance. Cars should be bought only with
cash as should any depreciating asset.

You do read your agreements for loans, credit cards, etc., right?

Matt

Old November 25th 04, 11:24 PM
mike regish

Did you tell them that if they didn't show they would be responsible for
one night's payment.

Just curious. You don't make that clear here.

mike regish

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message

It was then up to US to "prove" to VISA that the guest had stayed with
us -- which, of course, they had not. Despite the fact that these
guests insisted on "guaranteed reservations", despite the fact that we had
pre-authorized their stay on their credit card, despite the fact that we
had mailed post cards to their home, reminding them of their
reservation -- and despite the fact that we followed VISA's own procedures
for no-shows to the letter -- we were totally helpless, and had to eat the
bill. No amount of documentation or phone calls mattered to VISA.

THAT is the real credit card scandal that is sweeping America right now --
but no one outside of the industry knows (or, quite frankly) cares about
it. But we ALL pay for scumbags like these in the end.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 25th 04, 11:30 PM
mike regish

Yeah. Like Bush has taken full responsibility for getting us into Iraq under
wrong and false pretenses. Wasn't HIS fault. It was bad intel. Yeah...that's
it...bad intel. That's the ticket.

Oh...wait...Bush isn't a liberal, is he?

Get back on your meds, Matt.

mike regish

Old November 25th 04, 11:31 PM
John Harlow

Here's another credit card mystery: Why the hell does ANYONE use any
card but Discover? Everyone else charges to use their cards, while
Discover actually PAYS you to use their card -- yet they are a
distant third or fourth in the industry.

I have a Visa Platinum "rewards" card through Bank Of America, which I not
only have setup auto-debit to my account for the outstanding balance every
month (never a finance charge nor worry of late fee, plus I get free use of
their money for 30 days), but they cut ME a check for $150 a year for using
their card. I buy everything with it.

But they don't seem to advertise it. The way I found out about it is I
called to cancel my regular Visa, When they asked "why?" I said I use
Discover which pays cash back. Then and only then did they say they had a
competitive card; it actually pays twice what Discover does, plus Discover
has gone to their silly $20 cash back increments.

Definitely an excellent deal.

Old November 25th 04, 11:31 PM
Bob Noel

In article Fuspd.85361$V41.50473@attbi_s52,
"Jay Honeck" wrote:

has American Express or Diners Club done the same to you?
(just curious)

We'll never know -- I threw BOTH of them out right after we opened, after
they tried to charge us 5% for each transaction. (The other cards -- Visa,
Mastercard & Discover -- charge us "only" 4% for the privilege of "working"
with them.)

um, does making a reservation at your place require a credit card?
My Visa card is really just a debit card (with a small daily limit). And
my employer's wonderful travel policy requires me to use the Diners Club
for business travel.

Here's another credit card mystery: Why the hell does ANYONE use any card
but Discover?

Because almost every place that I need to use a credit card won't take
Discover (self-serve pump at the airport, the aeroclub, etc).

--
Bob Noel
Old November 25th 04, 11:36 PM
Vaughn

"Paul Tomblin" wrote in message
Nobody is *forcing* you to buy what you can't currently afford, you know.

No, but the *******s sure do try to seduce you into the deficit spending
lifestyle, and they try to start us off early. Just go into any college dorm
lobby or study area and the place will be awash with credit card applications.
Guess who puts them there? Guess why?

Back before credit cards existed, people actually saved up money ahead of
time for major purchases, instead of all this "buy now and pay later"
instant gratification stuff.

Agreed.

Vaughn