Fastest 100hp homebuilt or kit?

Old November 12th 05, 09:26 AM
THEByleDuct

Default Fastest 100hp homebuilt or kit?

One that is rarely mentioned is the mini-IMP http://www.mini-imp.com/

100hp
200+ mph max speed
180+ mph cruise speed
45-50 mph stall speed
5 gph consumption
Full specs at http://www.mini-imp.com/news.htm

Old November 12th 05, 10:57 AM
Philippe Vessaire

"tom pettit" tompetatpeakdotorg wrote:

Okay, I don't want to pay the fuel bill on a monster engine. I do want
to go fast. What kit or plans homebuilt will go 200 mph on 100 hp?

http://www.avnet.co.uk/lts/pages/mcr.htm
http://www.avnet.co.uk/lts/pages/vla.htm

not yet 200mph, performances are for Rotax 912.

You can't, to day, see fastest 80HP two seater. You don't realy get a lot
more speed with 100HP (only 7% more).
VNE is 199mph....

by
--
Pub: http://www.slowfood.fr/france
Philippe Vessaire Ò¿Ó¬

Old November 12th 05, 02:41 PM
firstflight

How about 200kts on 80hp engine? 2 seats.
http://www.lhaviation.com/site_frame...rges/index.htm

LH-10 Ellipse. Might have to wait a few years, but I know I want one!

JF

Old November 12th 05, 03:47 PM

Klaus's O-200 makes much more than 100 HP. Probably more like 150.

He manufactures, uses, and sells high-compression pistons for the
O-200. Plus, when he's racing it's probably turning 4k rpm or better.

Book rpm for the 100 HP O-200 is 2750 at takeoff, much less at cruise.

Mike Arman didn't have to "trick" the Rotax 582 for power to get over
200 mph in the AR-5. He did trick the airframe, however. Read all
the books and articles in his bibliography and you can build his
airplane too. He doesn't sell plans but you could still figure it all
out and come close, especially if you're as sharp and as talented as
Arman. Of course, I'm addressing the original poster here, only.

Old November 12th 05, 05:11 PM
Philippe Vessaire

firstflight wrote:

How about 200kts on 80hp engine? 2 seats.
http://www.lhaviation.com/site_frame...rges/index.htm

LH-10 Ellipse. Might have to wait a few years, but I know I want one!

http://www.avnet.co.uk/lts/pages/mcr.htm
http://www.avnet.co.uk/lts/pages/vla.htm

MCR01

vapor plane vs 20 years flying...

by

Old November 12th 05, 05:45 PM
GTH

firstflight a écrit :
How about 200kts on 80hp engine? 2 seats.
http://www.lhaviation.com/site_frame...rges/index.htm

LH-10 Ellipse. Might have to wait a few years, but I know I want one!

You bet !

A magnificent example of vapor technology ;-)
Unobtanium wings with Gossamer skin on helium-cell Futurium foam,
Not-Yet-Invented engine and No-Drag01 airfoil, the lot...

I saw the mockup at the Blois Show (France) last September.
IMHO, a very good add-on to MS Flight Simulator.

Regards,
Gilles Thesee
Grenoble, France
http://contrails.free.fr
Old November 12th 05, 06:05 PM
GTH

a écrit :
One that is rarely mentioned is the mini-IMP
http://www.mini-imp.com/

100hp
200+ mph max speed
180+ mph cruise speed
45-50 mph stall speed
5 gph consumption
Full specs at http://www.mini-imp.com/news.htm

This is a single-seater. Besides, the mini-Imps I know of are much, much
slower than that.
And the takeoff performance and handling are reported to be, ahem...abysmal.

On the other hand, the MCR 01 are very well behaved, conventional
airplanes, with brilliant takeoff and landing performance. And they are
flying by the hundred in this country.
See
http://contrails.free.fr/temp/MOV00659.MPG

Regards,
Gilles Thesee
Grenoble, France
http://contrails.free.fr
Old November 12th 05, 06:37 PM
Darrel Toepfer

GTH wrote:

On the other hand, the MCR 01 are very well behaved, conventional
airplanes, with brilliant takeoff and landing performance. And they are
flying by the hundred in this country.
See
http://contrails.free.fr/temp/MOV00659.MPG

Regards,
Gilles Thesee
Grenoble, France
http://contrails.free.fr

How much do you have invested in your 4 seater? Thanks, looks nice...
Old November 12th 05, 09:36 PM
keepitrunning

"Jim Carriere" wrote :
Serious answer, Vari Eze comes close, probably not too many others.

I wonder what the horse power is in Klaus Savier's Vari Eze? Reno Race
results show
he goes 250mph:
http://www.sportclass.com/race_results_2004.html

Here is his site: