You Know You're Old Dept.

Old January 1st 07, 09:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Richard Isakson

Default You Know You're Old Dept.

"DABEAR" wrote ...

I've had only one opportunity to fly in an aircraft as a passenger and
find myself sitting in leather seats:

Swift Aire Lines, DeHavilland Heron, four-engines if you can believe it
(old RAF Military Utility Transport ~ the twin version was the "Dove"),
from Los Angeles to Santa Maria.

Hey Bubba, if you remember Swift Aire, You ARE old.

Rich

Old January 1st 07, 04:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Montblack

("John Clear" wrote)
When I was in college, a friend remarked 'you know you are getting old
when the girls that pose in THOSE magazines are younger then you'...

I believe this one tops them all:

This year is bad enough, next January it gets worse - much, much worse.

Young ladies will qualify for Playboy magazine's Playmate status

.... (wait for it) ...

sigh ....who were BORN in the 1990's!

Montblack-in-time
"Libyans!" (1985) (1955) (1885) (2015) (...and beyond)
http://www.bttf.com/travel.htm
Good luck getting that hovering skateboard certified - in any category!

http://www.tvparty.com/tunnel.html
Best show on TV, to a 2nd grader - I had the lunch box!

Old January 1st 07, 08:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Ed Sullivan

On 31 Dec 2006 22:25:37 -0800, "DABEAR"
wrote:

You can bet I'm old, I can remember when many early military aircraft
used to stop at Visalia, California airport when flying through the
central valley. Visalia had a long runway for those days. Among the
aircraft I saw there were a squadron of Curtiss Hawk P6E's from
Selfridge Field in the Snow owl paint jobs; a squadron of Martin B-10
or 12's; several versions of the Northrup attack and Consolidated
attack aircraft, I can't remember the numbers; an Grumman F3F1 and
later at the start of the war it was a base for Lockheed Hudsons,
P-61s and A-26s. B-17s, B-24s and B25s frequently landed there.
Old January 1st 07, 09:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
DABEAR

Richard Isakson wrote:

Hey Bubba, if you remember Swift Aire, You ARE old.

Rich

YEAH! And I've got pictures of their aircraft, too!

On tin type in sepia tone! G

Old January 2nd 07, 01:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Roger[_4_]

On Mon, 1 Jan 2007 09:30:11 -0600, "Montblack"
wrote:

("John Clear" wrote)
When I was in college, a friend remarked 'you know you are getting old
when the girls that pose in THOSE magazines are younger then you'...

I believe this one tops them all:

This year is bad enough, next January it gets worse - much, much worse.

Young ladies will qualify for Playboy magazine's Playmate status

... (wait for it) ...

sigh ....who were BORN in the 1990's!

Montblack-in-time
"Libyans!" (1985) (1955) (1885) (2015) (...and beyond)
http://www.bttf.com/travel.htm
Good luck getting that hovering skateboard certified - in any category!

http://www.tvparty.com/tunnel.html
Best show on TV, to a 2nd grader - I had the lunch box!

And then there was .... 2000 plus on the radio. Boy, did they ever
have it wrong!

Anyone here remember that one?

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Old January 2nd 07, 01:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Roger[_4_]

On Mon, 01 Jan 2007 13:23:40 -0800, Richard Riley
wrote:

On 1 Jan 2007 12:36:00 -0800, "DABEAR"
wrote:

Richard Isakson wrote:

Hey Bubba, if you remember Swift Aire, You ARE old.

Rich

YEAH! And I've got pictures of their aircraft, too!

On tin type in sepia tone! G

Such timely posts. I caught Joyce cleaning the storage room in the
basement. She was checking to see what was in those yellow boxes. At
least she didn't open the black plastic inside to see what was in
that.

There are two unopened *large* boxes of Kodak E-6 processing
chemicals. Three bottles of T-Max developer. (Two unopened and one
collapsed) you know which one had been opened. Uncounted boxes of Jobo
Chrome and E-6 processing kits. I liked Jobo's 3 step process for
color negatives. One minute develop, one minute wash, one minute fix.
they didn't count the 10 minutes in the washer afterwards.

I've forgotten how many steps were in the Kodak kit, but it seems like
I kept running out of bottles of counter top space when developing
slides. So you can understand why I liked the Jobo process. I still
have the motorized, temperature controlled processor too.

That was the nice thing about color though. Same developer and
process times for all negatives. And slides used their own developing
process but again, all were E-6, or you sent them in.

I have a huge enlarger for large format that I've never used. It was
old when I got it. I threw out all the commercial color print
processing stuff I had. Couldn't give it away. Now I wish I had that
big SS tank back.

Heck, tintype musthave been the latest thing, then. I'da figgured it
for glass wash negatives...

In one of my photography classes I we had to make our own
photosensitive material, coat and dry the paper and then make prints.

Pinhole cameras. One kid decided to do a shot of the campus. He
planted this large card board box on the steps of the administration
building overlooking the campus. He painted on the box: " This is a
camera, Please do not move". The Prof had to go down and get him out
of the city jail due to the bomb scare and this was in 88 or 89.

At any rate, what started out to be a "work in the shop" evening has
turned out to be a sort out chemicals, clean bottles, find old
photography stuff and RESCUE old photography stuff with the admonition
of Please don't open any more of those yellow boxes.

Old January 2nd 07, 04:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Stuart & Kathryn Fields

Ramey AFB Puerto Rico 72 Strategic Bomb Wing. 54-56.
We had Curtis Lemays Brother-in-law for a Wing commander. Wore a small
tiger emblem on the back of his helmet liner.

--
Stuart Fields
Experimental Helo magazine

www.vkss.com
www.experimentalhelo.com

" Don L n FTW" wrote in message
news

"Wayne Paul" wrote in message
Stuart,

When I was in high school we lived in northern Idaho. Our home was

about
100 miles from Fairchild AFB. I distenctly remember hearing the B-36's
rumble and seeing the contrails streaming from each engine as they flew
over Troy.

Wayne
http://www.soaridaho.com/

C-82s McChord AFB 53-54
C-47s Korea 54-55 (last C-47 Sqdn in the AF)
B-36 Fairchild AFB 55-56 I probably was in one of those you
saw.....................

Old January 2nd 07, 04:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

When all the State Cops look like teen-agers . . . . .

And they stop me in my regular ride and ask if I shouldn't think about
getting an "Antique License" ? . . . . . and then (dammit, I just
HAD to) ask them whether they meant for the car or for myself.
I got a sort of revenge, however. He nearly fell down laughing so hard
on the walk back to his cruiser !

Flash

Old January 2nd 07, 06:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Roger[_4_]

On Mon, 01 Jan 2007 16:38:39 -0800, Richard Riley
wrote:

On Mon, 01 Jan 2007 19:29:04 -0500, Roger
wrote:

And then there was .... 2000 plus on the radio. Boy, did they ever
have it wrong!

Anyone here remember that one?

Don't remember that, but the one that makes me shake my head was "The
21st Century" on CBS. Sponsored by Union Carbide, hosted by Walter
Cronkite. Kind of a follow up to "The 20th Century" documentary
series. 1967-1970

He'd go into labs, show the latest and neatest stuff and predict what
we'd have now. I remember 3 items specifically.

Flat TV's that we could hang on our walls

Prosthetic limbs that would read nerve impulses

IC silicon chips.

I remember the last one clearly. They had a chip with 3 transistors
on it, and were working on one that would have 100 transistors. Soon,
you'd be able to have a working computer in your pocket.

Some of the stuff hasn't come to pass - like the dishes you wouldn't
wash, you'd just melt them and re-cast them. Or the typewriter that
would use a laser to burn mistakes off the paper. But for wild
guesses they did pretty well.

2000 Plus was a sci fi show probably from around 1950, give or take a
couple of years, but I'm pretty sure it was before 1950. OTOH it was
2000 *Plus* and they didn't say plus how much. I'd guess it was about
the "Tom Corbit" time.