Have you ever seen/made such a flying handcraft?

Old August 7th 04, 09:12 AM
Qingpei Hu

Default Have you ever seen/made such a flying handcraft?

Hi, Dear All,

I have alwaying been thinking to make a light, tiny, paper(or some
other light material) butterfly, that could fly with flapping his
wings by some mechanical power engine(like clockwork spring or elasic,
or else).

While I was a child, I liked playing paper-plane very much. I have
many paper-planes, made by various methods. But none could fly with
FLAPPING their wings. Whenever I see some birds over fly, I would
remember the dream of childhood.

Have you seen any craft that could fly by flapping his wings?
especially one with light, and tiny body, like paper...

I am consiering whether I could make one by myself...Any suggestions
would be welcome!

Thank you!

Regards,
Neon
Old August 9th 04, 11:12 AM
ChuckSlusarczyk

In article , Qingpei Hu says...

Hi, Dear All,

I have alwaying been thinking to make a light, tiny, paper(or some
other light material) butterfly, that could fly with flapping his
wings by some mechanical power engine(like clockwork spring or elasic,
or else).

Neon
My son and I fly very delicate Indoor model airplanes and one of the classes he
flys is ornithopter. If you go to my son's web page you can see some styles of
these models including a rubber powered ornithopter with which he has won many
contests and also has set records. hope this helps.

http://www.indoorfreeflight.com/

See ya

Chuck S

Old August 9th 04, 02:59 PM
Qingpei Hu

Neon
My son and I fly very delicate Indoor model airplanes and one of the classes he
flys is ornithopter. If you go to my son's web page you can see some styles of
these models including a rubber powered ornithopter with which he has won many
contests and also has set records. hope this helps.

http://www.indoorfreeflight.com/

See ya

Chuck S

Hi, it's really wonderful! So delicate!

Thank you very much!

One thing I wanna mention, the reason why I went back to this idea is
one glance on one TV program on UAV by National Geographic Channel
----- Spies That Fly !

I am not interested in the UAVs in it, coz it's too far from my reach.
What sparks me most is the a tiny, gentle, delicate flying vechicle in
the hand of one scientist. It was released into the office air, and
flapped its wings and flied around for a while.

I have tried to review the program again to make sure what it is, but
failed. It seems it won't be displayed again lately.

Have you ever seen that before? Any idea with it?

Wish this information would still be useful to your son.

Neon
Old August 17th 04, 04:10 PM
Wright1902Glider

AH HAA! Finally another subject for the resident 19th century-flight guru!

Google search on Alph. Penaud amd Sir George Caley. Penaud designed a
flapping-wing model aircraft in the 1870's. He also designed several
"helicopter" type flying models.

In 1878, Bishop Milton Wright returned from Germany with one of these flying
"bat" toys. He gave it to his two youngest sons, who played with it until it
broke. The two boys built their own versions of these "bats", making them
larger and larger until they were too heavy to fly. The older of the two boys
was named Wilbur. The younger was named Orville.

Harry Frey