GPS questions

Old August 14th 05, 01:23 AM
Jase Vanover

Default GPS questions

Background... newly minted PPL, looking to ease navigation via GPS. I
actually find it cool to navigate via maps, compass and timepiece, but I
realize there is a lot more capability out there.

I'll be renting for awhile, so portability is important. I've done the
standard research (including searching prior posts on this newsgroup), but
still have a few questions that remain unanswered.

The Garmin 396 looks pretty awesome. I don't know if I'll fly enough to
warrant the Wx subscription, but I have a healthy respect for weather and so
lean towards it for the additional security.

The only downside I see in the 396 is screen size. I like what I've seen of
the Avmap (Jay... figure I can count on your endorsement here, based on
reading past postings). I think all it's missing vs. the 396 is weather.
Would be interesting to know if anyone has heard if this will be a soft
upgrade in the future. Also, I believe the Avmap is direct powered from the
plane, and I don't know if and how this will be possible on rental aircraft.
Any insight?

I've also run into the Flight Cheetah in my searches, though haven't found
much talk about it on the newsgroups. It seems to have everything, but I
hesitate to be a "test pilot" being a neophyte at flying to start with.

I won't say cost isn't an issue, but I have room enough to spare to pretty
much get whatever portable is best. I welcome any and all advice on the
issue. Thank you to all in advance.

Old August 14th 05, 03:53 AM
Kyle Boatright

"Jase Vanover" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Personally, I think the WX feature is very handy, depending on where and
what you fly. I fly a high performance homebuilt with a wood prop. The high
performance part lets me overfly plenty of weather and to quickly get to and
through gaps in bad weather. However, the wood prop means I really, really,
need to avoid flying in rain. For me, XM weather is in my future, but maybe
after the "new" has worn off and the prices are a bit lower.

In your case, you need to figure out what having the weather overlay is
worth. You can buy a great aviation GPS for well under $500, although it
may not be in color and it may not have the very latest bells and whistles.
It'll still have a map, the databases, and all the other functionality. If
you go that route, you can probably buy that GPS today, wait a year and buy
today's top-of-the line GPS with weather capability (a 396, hypothetically),
and spend less total $ than you would just going out and buying the 396
today.

Something to think about. Of course, you may want/need the 396's
functionality today, and if that's the case, go for it. One appropriate tool
is far more useful than several tools that *almost* get the job done.

Old August 14th 05, 09:48 AM
Thomas Borchert

Jase,

Have a look at the Lowrance Airmap 2000c, which has a bigger screen
than the Garmin but isn't quite as big as the Avmap - at a very
interesting price.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old August 14th 05, 12:45 PM
John Doe

"Kyle Boatright" wrote in message

[...]

I tend to agree. I bought a Garmin 196 for less than $500 on ebay and it's
worked perfect for what I need today.

As a "newly minted PPL" I would avoid any weather that would require you to
even think about needing a 396. I've been flying just fine for almost 20
years without XM weather and the closer I go to bad weather the dumber I
feel after I land.

Old August 14th 05, 02:15 PM
Blueskies

"Thomas Borchert" wrote in message ...
Jase,

Have a look at the Lowrance Airmap 2000c, which has a bigger screen
than the Garmin but isn't quite as big as the Avmap - at a very
interesting price.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

This 2000c is a very good unit.

Old August 14th 05, 03:06 PM
Ronald Gardner

As a new PPL your call to Flight Service should negate need for weather. Try
finding a used Garmin 295 on ebay. Not sure what they now go for but with the
new stuff out the prices should have dropped. I picked one up on a great deal
several years ago and I think it is great for PPL VFR. With the yoke mount it
does not cover up a large portion of instrument panel, but because it is close
to you the smaller screen is fine.

Ron Gardner

Old August 14th 05, 08:15 PM
Jay Honeck

Have a look at the Lowrance Airmap 2000c, which has a bigger screen
than the Garmin but isn't quite as big as the Avmap - at a very
interesting price.

This 2000c is a very good unit.

I agree -- and, in fact, we bought one at OSH '05, to replace our old
Lowrance Airmap 300.

If portability is necessary -- and a cigarette lighter is unavailable -- go
with the 2000c. It's not quite an AvMap -- nothing else is -- but the 2000c
has batteries that last between 2 and 5 hours, if needed.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 14th 05, 10:50 PM
Aluckyguess

I have a 296. The terrain feature is nice. If you have the money get the 396
I tested one and it is incredible.

Old August 15th 05, 12:26 AM
Bob Fry

Has Lowrance put terrain and/or obstacle data into their GPS yet?
Old August 15th 05, 12:46 AM
Newps

Jay Honeck wrote:

Have a look at the Lowrance Airmap 2000c, which has a bigger screen
than the Garmin but isn't quite as big as the Avmap - at a very
interesting price.

This 2000c is a very good unit.

I agree -- and, in fact, we bought one at OSH '05, to replace our old
Lowrance Airmap 300.

If portability is necessary -- and a cigarette lighter is unavailable -- go
with the 2000c. It's not quite an AvMap -- nothing else is -- but the 2000c
has batteries that last between 2 and 5 hours, if needed.

You can always hardwire it to the plane. I did that when I had Garmin
handhelds.