One Lucky Dude in Milwaukee

Old November 14th 05, 01:26 AM
Jay Honeck

Default One Lucky Dude in Milwaukee

A Cherokee 180 landing in a thunderstorm, ends up entangled in power
lines -- and the pilot survives!

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/11/13/pla...led/index.html
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 14th 05, 01:43 AM
Dan Luke

"Another woman said it appeared that the pilot was trying to maneuver
the plane to miss hitting homes."

Does AOPA hand this out in scripts for eyewitnesses to read to the
press?

Old November 14th 05, 03:14 AM
George Patterson

Dan Luke wrote:
"Another woman said it appeared that the pilot was trying to maneuver
the plane to miss hitting homes."

Does AOPA hand this out in scripts for eyewitnesses to read to the
press?

I don't think they have to. If you were coming down, wouldn't you try to avoid
something like a house? I was taught to hit the softest, cheapest thing I could
find if a crash is inevitable.

George Patterson
Drink is the curse of the land. It makes you quarrel with your neighbor.
It makes you shoot at your landlord. And it makes you miss him.
Old November 14th 05, 03:22 AM
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Dan Luke wrote:
"Another woman said it appeared that the pilot was trying to maneuver
the plane to miss hitting homes."

Does AOPA hand this out in scripts for eyewitnesses to read to the
press?

Of ocurse he's trying to avoid hitting homes. He doesn't want to hit
*anything*.

I remember reading in the paper about my own plane crash where somebody on the
ground commented on the superior job I'd done avoiding houses where kids were
playing out front. To tell you the truth, I don't remember them even being
there. All my attention was drawn to the field I was trying for.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Old November 15th 05, 12:19 AM
G Farris

In article
outaviation.com,
says...

Not all of the press was positive!
http://www.620wtmj.com/_content/news/story_801.asp

Well, it's not all that bad. Puts the FAA in a rather bad light for not
doing their job, but otherwise :

Had he been driving a car, instead of flying a light plane, the danger he
presents to others would have been much greater. It's a fact : light
aviation accidents very rarely cause any injuries or deaths to people on
the ground. The only significant danger is to those directly involved, who
are supposed to be aware and consenting.

Second fact : as a pilot, in the execsise of aviation activities, your
chances of being killed by another, negligent operator are close to nil. It
"can" happen, and has happened of course, but it is safe to say you are
master of your own destiny, and if you do right, avitaion will do right by
you. In car accidents it always seems it's the drunken kids who just held
up a drugstore who walk away from the accident, while the schoolteacher and
family of five perish. In aviation, you get out of it what you put into it
- that should satisfy those "Live Free or Die" zealots.

Third fact (artifact) - Aviaiton is a great ambassador for sobriety! All of
the pilots I know are careful about the amount they drink, and many do not
drink at all, BECAUSE of their aviation activity. Flying is a lot more fun
than drinking anyway. Medical qualifications in a more general sense follow
the same rule (look at Jay and his diet). Fact : The attitude of being a
pilot is good for your health, and reduces dangers to others and to
society.

GF

Old November 15th 05, 03:50 PM
Skylune

by G Farris IFR@[EMAIL PROTECTED] Nov 15, 2005 at 01:19 AM

In article
9df32ce06cd276804d2ad5ee13daf3ce@[EMAIL PROTECTED]
,

live-ski-or-die@[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[...]

I happen to agree with (just about) everything you said. Just pointing
out that the press coverage was not overwhelmingly positive, as the
headline indicated.

About the second point though, concern about mid-airs is definitely high
on many pilots worry lists: See and avoid MEANs that others actions can
definitely have an "impact" on your own safety in the air. Read the
just-released transcript of the tower's communications with the ill-fated
150 that had a mid-air in Washington.

Old November 15th 05, 04:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

About the second point though, concern about mid-airs is definitely high
on many pilots worry lists: See and avoid MEANs that others actions can
definitely have an "impact" on your own safety in the air. Read the
just-released transcript of the tower's communications with the ill-fated
150 that had a mid-air in Washington.

Of course it can happen, and does. And ground casualties can and do happen.
The number of people though who can say their lives or the lives of their
loved ones have been affected by an accident to an airplane in which they
were not travelling is extremely small. Of course it requires vigilance by
all pilots to avoid air-to-air collisions, and of course it requires
sensible operating practice to avoid endangering residents on the ground,
but pilots tend largely to be both vigilant and sensible.

Most of us take some satisfaction in knowing that we are unlikely to be
gratuitously killed by a negligent pilot other than ourselves! This is not
true on the road, where thousands are killed every year despite their being
cautious, sensible drivers.

G Faris

Lucky folks David Lesher Owning 9 August 5th 05 02:11 PM
401TFW/614TFS Lucky Devils in the Gulf War MKopack Military Aviation 0 July 7th 05 06:35 PM
Are pilots really good or just lucky??? Icebound Instrument Flight Rules 68 December 9th 04 01:53 PM
Prop Strike in Milwaukee Ben Smith Piloting 9 October 1st 04 11:21 PM
Ride from Milwaukee to OshKosh? News1 Home Built 2 June 27th 04 12:58 AM