A few newbie questions about the sport

Old September 19th 18, 07:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

Default A few newbie questions about the sport

On Tuesday, September 18, 2018 at 4:00:07 PM UTC-7, Paul T wrote:

Sorry can't afford transatlantic telephone calls - I asked a fairly simple
question, why can't you answer this on a public forum?

I'll take "sealioning" for a thousand, Alex!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sealioning
Old September 20th 18, 02:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

With or without the beard?
Sorta depends if you watch enough.......LOL......
Old September 20th 18, 02:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

On Tuesday, September 18, 2018 at 6:00:07 PM UTC-5, Paul T wrote:

Sorry can't afford transatlantic telephone calls - I asked a fairly simple

question, why can't you answer this on a public forum?

Assuming you are British - do a search of BGA's excellent magazine; a few years ago there was an article about a student who basically soloed in 5 flights by using Condor to prepare.

I believe the French CNVV has developed a full-up Condor (w/cockpit and big screens) glider simulator for use by French glider clubs.

Our own gliding club (St Louis Soaring Association) in the US is in the process of building up a Condor sim with realistic flight controls and multiple big screens.

Any simulator is just a training tool (Condor is technically an Aircrew Training Device in the lingo of the flight simulation industry) and it's effectiveness is driven by how it is used. Since the cockpit of a glider is not the best classroom, used properly Condor can be a great help to the learning process. Learn it in the sim, practice it in the glider.

Kirk
(been using sims for training for almost 50 years now...yikes!)
Old September 20th 18, 05:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy[_3_]

Warning Thread drift light on
John OHM said it might be better to put it in a field than land at a active airport. This is crazy. There is nothing to be afraid of landing at a "Active" airport. Get on the radio early,
just check out the layout from the air, get on the radio somemore, land and stop next to taxiway, get out and push your ship behind the hold line. Helluva lot safer than landing in ANY field IMHO Airports are a know factor, fields, any fields are unknown factors. Hopefully everyone knows how to push there plane around on the ground by hand with no wing wheels or tail dollys. You pick the tail boom up drag it around to get the tail pointed where you want to go, move to the leading edge of the wing, next to the fuselage, level the wings and push, you can even steer most planes by raising or lowering the wing a little bit.
Thread drift light off sorry.

Old September 20th 18, 06:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh

Airports have their own challenges for gliders. A lot depends on runway width and lights. I passed on one airstrip in the book because the advertised width was tight and ended up in a nice hay field.

I do know two pilots who discovered they were landing on an RC field late in the proceedings.

Yes, do get on the radio and keep an eye out for NORDOs.
Old September 20th 18, 06:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul T[_4_]

At 18:16 19 September 2018, Bob Kuykendall wrote:
On Tuesday, September 18, 2018 at 4:00:07 PM UTC-7, Paul T wrote:

Sorry can't afford transatlantic telephone calls - I asked a fairly

simple
question, why can't you answer this on a public forum?

I'll take "sealioning" for a thousand, Alex!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sealioning

Don't be a **** Bob and assume the worst - was asking a fairly simple
question to someone as to the effectiveness of training with simulation -
which his purportedly his business. Was interested in knowing what the
savings in RL training might be? - don't see why that can't be answered on

a public forum.

Old September 20th 18, 06:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul T[_4_]

At 13:31 20 September 2018, kirk.stant wrote:
On Tuesday, September 18, 2018 at 6:00:07 PM UTC-5, Paul T wrote:

Sorry can't afford transatlantic telephone calls - I asked a fairly

simpl=
=20
question, why can't you answer this on a public forum?

Assuming you are British - do a search of BGA's excellent magazine; a

few
y=
ears ago there was an article about a student who basically soloed in 5
fli=
ghts by using Condor to prepare.=20

=
the best classroom, used properly Condor can be a great help to the
learnin=
g process. Learn it in the sim, practice it in the glider.

Kirk
(been using sims for training for almost 50 years now...yikes!)

You ask a simple question on here and get slaughtered - I asked a
simple question of someone who uses this method as a business , what
is typically the time saved using this method-its it really such a
difficult
question to answer? Why can't htat be answered on a public forum -
some kind of big secret or something?

Old September 20th 18, 08:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

On Thursday, September 20, 2018 at 11:00:08 AM UTC-7, Paul T wrote:
[...]

If you want to ask a simple question, might I suggest you do it without an accusatory tone. Writers including myself have given you plenty antidotal "evidence" of simulation training as a good learning tool. I was required by my insurance to attend Flight Safety for yearly simulation training in a complex aircraft I have flown. Could be Scott runs a small operation, catering to glider pilots, and has not funded a multi-part double blind study large enough for a statically valid result, to see if 1) Condor simulation reduces time to ticket for; a) ab initio student; b) for licensed power pilots transitioning; c) rusty returning pilots; d) currency…..

Simulation training has been around and proven since the Link trainer in the big one, that is WWII. Don't blame Scott or the newsgroup for calling you out on your behavior! For the most part we have a great group that are helpful to one another and many members are the most respected members of our sport internationally. If you truly wanted to know you would have taken Scott up on his offer to communication directly.
Old September 20th 18, 08:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul T[_4_]

wrote:

Sorry can't afford transatlantic telephone calls - I asked a fairly
simpl=3D
=3D20
question, why can't you answer this on a public forum?

Assuming you are British - do a search of BGA's excellent

magazine; a=20
few
y=3D
ears ago there was an article about a student who basically soloed

in 5
fli=3D
ghts by using Condor to prepare.=3D20

I believe the French CNVV has developed a full-up Condor

(w/cockpit=20
and
big=3D
screens) glider simulator for use by French glider clubs.

Our own gliding club (St Louis Soaring Association) in the US is in

the
pro=3D
cess of building up a Condor sim with realistic flight controls and
multipl=3D
e big screens.

Any simulator is just a training tool (Condor is technically an

Aircrew
Tra=3D
ining Device in the lingo of the flight simulation industry) and it's
effec=3D
tiveness is driven by how it is used. Since the cockpit of a glider is

not
=3D
the best classroom, used properly Condor can be a great help to

the
learnin=3D
g process. Learn it in the sim, practice it in the glider.

Kirk
(been using sims for training for almost 50 years now...yikes!)

=20
=20
You ask a simple question on here and get slaughtered - I asked

a=20
simple question of someone who uses this method as a business ,

what=20
is typically the time saved using this method-its it really such a
difficult=20
question to answer? Why can't htat be answered on a public forum -

=20
some kind of big secret or something?

If you want to ask a simple question, might I suggest you do it without

an
=
accusatory tone. Writers including myself have given you plenty

antidotal
"=
evidence" of simulation training as a good learning tool. I was

required
b=
y my insurance to attend Flight Safety for yearly simulation training in

=
complex aircraft I have flown. Could be Scott runs a small operation,
cater=
ing to glider pilots, and has not funded a multi-part double blind study
la=
rge enough for a statically valid result, to see if 1) Condor simulation
re=
duces time to ticket for; a) ab initio student; b) for licensed power
pilot=
s transitioning; c) rusty returning pilots; d) currency=E2=80=A6.. =20

Simulation training has been around and proven since the Link trainer

in
th=
e big one, that is WWII. Don't blame Scott or the newsgroup for

calling
yo=
u out on your behavior! For the most part we have a great group that

are
he=
lpful to one another and many members are the most respected

members of
our=
sport internationally. If you truly wanted to know you would have

taken
S=
cott up on his offer to communication directly.

Yeah at great expense to myself, sorry but I cannot afford to make
transantlantic telephone calls - there was no accusatory tone - asked a
simple question that's all - dont see why that can't be answered. Think
you are getting a bit oversensitiveness and reading things into things
that aren't there . The guy stated this was his business and made some
claims in a public forum - I merely asked if he had any evidence for that
and what the average time saving was - surely a simple answer like' in
my experience for the 50 students that have used this method - the
average student can save 2 -4 hours on R/L training' would have
answered the question - cannot see why that is so hard to do?

If you wish to know the reason for this - is that I with some friends are
thinking of establishing a gliding club in Bulgaria - Bulgaria is one of
the
poorest countries in the EU - we would like to establish a club that the a

person on an average income can afford to fly - average incomes are low
in Bulgaria @ 400euro/month - so any money savings saved in training
would be beneficial and it may pay to use a simulator in the training
syllabus.

Old September 20th 18, 09:44 PM
POPS POPS is offline
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul T[_4_] View Post
At 22:44 18 September 2018, Scott Manley wrote:

Do you have the evidence to prove this Scott, and if so how much of

'time-saver' on real life flying does the computer based training

make

the average student?

Paul,

Call me at the phone number listed in the my reply to Newbie. I would

be
happy to share my thoughts on your question based on my experience

over 10
years.

The airlines, military, and professional flight training organization
(e.g., Flight Safety) have long established the economic and time-

saving
benefits of simulation-based flight training. I have no need to reprove
the already proven.

My primary evidence of the effectiveness and efficiency of computer-

based
flight simulation is the testimony of the 70 folks I have worked with.

Sorry can't afford transatlantic telephone calls - I asked a fairly simple

question, why can't you answer this on a public forum?

Geeeezzzzzz, get WhatsApp, Skype, whatever... so you can talk for freeeeeeeee, or until you pass out.