travel time to gliding site / club?

Old May 20th 08, 01:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nigel Rotherham

Default travel time to gliding site / club?

Hi everyone :-) GR8 to have service 'back'!
Question for any / all interested: What is your travel time / distance
(round trip?) from home to gliding / soaring club - site? Not that will
make any difference to actual journey I need to take but knowing what
fellow enthusiast 'endure' to enjoy our fantastic sport / hobby will
probably make me feel 'much better' (s a factor in choosing which club
to join here in South Africa)! From my home (Benoni) must allow 4 hrs
(approx 350 Km) average for any of the 'local' clubs...
Thanks in advance. FLY SAFE! very best regards Nigel R
Old May 20th 08, 02:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ed Winchester

Nigel Rotherham wrote:
Hi everyone :-) GR8 to have service 'back'!
Question for any / all interested: What is your travel time / distance
(round trip?) from home to gliding / soaring club - site? Not that will
make any difference to actual journey I need to take but knowing what
fellow enthusiast 'endure' to enjoy our fantastic sport / hobby will
probably make me feel 'much better' (s a factor in choosing which club
to join here in South Africa)! From my home (Benoni) must allow 4 hrs
(approx 350 Km) average for any of the 'local' clubs...
Thanks in advance. FLY SAFE! very best regards Nigel R

I drive (or sometimes fly) just at 90 miles to my glider club at
Beltzville, PA. Takes about 1 hr 40 minutes if I don't speed.
Old May 20th 08, 02:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bert Willing[_2_]

For about 10 years, I used to travel 350km (=3.5h, one way) from Western
Switzerland to Southern France to go soaring. Over the season 2003, that did
put 25'000km on the clock of my car. No, I didn't have to pay the gas...
Since 2 years, I reduced that to 30km (one way, which is less than I travel
to work). I still travel occasionally to Southern France, but now I tend to
spend more than the weekend over there.
One reason for the change is family, the other reason is that I want to see
another part of the Alps.

Is it insane to go 350km one way for gliding ? Well, others spend that time
in front of a TV set and nobody thinks that they are insane...

Have fun!
Bert

Old May 20th 08, 02:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On May 20, 5:25*am, Nigel Rotherham wrote:
Hi everyone :-) *GR8 to have service 'back'!
Question for any */ all interested: *What is your travel time / distance
(round trip?) from home to gliding / soaring club - site? *Not that will
make any difference to actual journey I need to take but knowing what
fellow enthusiast 'endure' to enjoy our fantastic sport / hobby will
probably make me feel 'much better' (s a factor in choosing which club
to join here in South Africa)! *From my home (Benoni) must allow 4 hrs
(approx 350 Km) average for any of the 'local' clubs...
Thanks in advance. *FLY SAFE! *very best regards Nigel R

75 mile round trip, almost all interstate. Usually less than 40
minutes each way.
Old May 20th 08, 02:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wayne Paul

Four miles. The time required depends on whether I drive, ride my bike or
walk.

Wayne
HP-14 "Six Foxtrot"
http://www.soaridaho.com/

Old May 20th 08, 02:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Hal[_2_]

On May 20, 6:42*am, "Wayne Paul" wrote:
Four miles. *The time required depends on whether I drive, ride my bike or
walk.

Wayne
HP-14 "Six Foxtrot"http://www.soaridaho.com/

"Nigel Rotherham" wrote in message

Hi everyone :-) *GR8 to have service 'back'!
Question for any */ all interested: *What is your travel time / distance
(round trip?) from home to gliding / soaring club - site? *Not that will
make any difference to actual journey I need to take but knowing what
fellow enthusiast 'endure' to enjoy our fantastic sport / hobby will
probably make me feel 'much better' (s a factor in choosing which club
to join here in South Africa)! *From my home (Benoni) must allow 4 hrs
(approx 350 Km) average for any of the 'local' clubs...
Thanks in advance. *FLY SAFE! *very best regards Nigel R- Hide quoted text -

Two hours each way for Williams CA and three plus for Truckee although
it is a mix now as I purchased a motor glider and often fly out of the
local airport (15 minutes). I try to stay overnight if I go to the
gliderport as it is too tiring to do all the driving and fly. It is
expensive but the motorglider definetly makes it possible to fly more
often.
Old May 20th 08, 04:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On May 20, 6:53 am, Hal wrote:
[...]

From my home to the Ephrata airport is 97.8 miles (157 km) one way. I
drive that distance almost every weekend. I used to fly from
Wenatchee, WA and that distance from my house was 128.2 miles (206
km). Every year for past 4 years I take a trip from my house in Pasco,
WA to Montague, CA for a long weekend of flying (4 days) and that is
586 miles (943 km) one way and I don't think I am insane (at least not
yet). So, the distance to travel issue is one that you can put up
with.

Jacek
Pasco, WA
Old May 20th 08, 05:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
sisu1a

On May 20, 5:25 am, Nigel Rotherham wrote:
Hi everyone :-) GR8 to have service 'back'!
Question for any / all interested: What is your travel time / distance
(round trip?) from home to gliding / soaring club - site? Not that will
make any difference to actual journey I need to take but knowing what
fellow enthusiast 'endure' to enjoy our fantastic sport / hobby will
probably make me feel 'much better' (s a factor in choosing which club
to join here in South Africa)! From my home (Benoni) must allow 4 hrs
(approx 350 Km) average for any of the 'local' clubs...
Thanks in advance. FLY SAFE! very best regards Nigel R

185mi each way, although I could fly a little closer I could not do it
for less money as my club is CHEAP with tows at $15 for the first 1000
and $1 each additional 100. (Avenal Ca, Cental CA Soaring Club,
www.soaravenal.com). I camp at the airfield and fly for a few days to
justify the drive etc.

Paul

PS. does "GR8 to have service back" mean you only post through
gliderpilot.net, or was your local computer service interrupted?
Old May 20th 08, 06:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper

9.5 miles and 12 minutes from home to Minden airport.

If it gets any better than this, we don't deserve it.

bumper
zz
Minden, Nevada (one of the best soaring sites in the whole dern world)

Old May 20th 08, 08:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

75 miles one-way, approximately 1 hr 15' on a good day.

Cheers, Charles

Time travel Jim Naval Aviation 18 December 22nd 06 04:57 AM
Kent Gliding Club (UK) Justin Fielding Soaring 2 June 27th 05 07:30 PM
Best Gliding Club Web Site Clint Soaring 12 November 17th 03 08:30 AM
Cheapest Club (was Best Gliding Club Website) Clint Soaring 20 November 15th 03 04:49 AM
they took me back in time and the nsa or japan wired my head and now they know the idea came from me so if your back in time and wounder what happen they change tim liverance history for good. I work at rts wright industries and it a time travel trap tim liverance Military Aviation 0 August 18th 03 12:18 AM