National 425

Old December 6th 20, 08:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Phoenix

Default National 425

Anybody got a ballpark guess as to what a National 425 chute is worth?
Old December 7th 20, 09:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Russ Owens

On Sunday, December 6, 2020 at 12:52:45 PM UTC-8, Phoenix wrote:
Anybody got a ballpark guess as to what a National 425 chute is worth?

Start by assuming that a chute has a service life of 20 years and adjust the "new" price down from that. Then adjust for the fact that it's a "used" (even if never used) safety item. Let's not get into a discussion that many riggers will still pack a chute that is older than 20 years!
I recently bought a six year-old chute from a reliable seller as my old chute was 23 years old and my rigger advised me that he could see signs of aging and advised me to retire it. I don't have 20 years off service life left in ME to need a chute good for 20 more years!
Old December 8th 20, 09:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Foster

On Monday, December 7, 2020 at 2:06:59 PM UTC-7, Russ Owens wrote:
On Sunday, December 6, 2020 at 12:52:45 PM UTC-8, Phoenix wrote:
Anybody got a ballpark guess as to what a National 425 chute is worth?

Start by assuming that a chute has a service life of 20 years and adjust the "new" price down from that. Then adjust for the fact that it's a "used" (even if never used) safety item. Let's not get into a discussion that many riggers will still pack a chute that is older than 20 years!
I recently bought a six year-old chute from a reliable seller as my old chute was 23 years old and my rigger advised me that he could see signs of aging and advised me to retire it. I don't have 20 years off service life left in ME to need a chute good for 20 more years!

My rule of thumb when it comes to used parachutes is $2000 minus $100 for every year it is old. In other words, I picked up a used Softie that was 4 yrs old for $1600.