flaps again

Old January 4th 08, 09:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Morgans[_2_]

Default flaps again

"C J Campbell" wrote

For those who have not seen it, Karl's plane is a beautiful thing.

Glowing praise like that should have Karl posting a link, were we can all
ogle it!

Wait for it; here comes the link now....

Karl?? Karl? ... g
--
Jim in NC

Old January 5th 08, 03:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
karl mcgruber

Here's some pix:
http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c5/kgr...185kgfront.jpg
http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c5/kgr...niercessna.jpg
http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c5/kgr...__640x480_.jpg
http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c5/kgr...__640x480_.jpg
http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c5/kgr...nformation.jpg

Best,
Karl
"Curator" N185KG

Old January 5th 08, 04:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning, rec.aviation.piloting, rec.aviation.student
Bertie the Bunyip

On 3 Jan, 09:16, "Ken S. Tucker" wrote:
On Jan 2, 9:15 pm, wrote:

On Jan 2, 4:35 pm, Michael wrote:

Which brings us to the one (and only) difference between landing flaps
up and gear up. *Gear up is expensive, every time. *Flaps up is
actually more likely to be fatal (as in, you get too slow in a turn)
but most of the time it costs nothing at all except some extra runway,
which is free. *That's it.

* * * * *Unless you are landing on a minimal runway, as we often do
out here in the Canadian west. An inadvertent flaps-up landing can get
really messy at the far end, depending on the obstacles that might be
there.

Not really, you just need to learn how to land better,
making use of flare and ground effect.
Landing with zero flaps, needs a tricky extended flare
and once the tires are on the runway, keep the nose up,
with pitch control to the elevator, that way the entire
main wing operates as an air brake.
Be very gentle on wheel braking control because that
will lower the nose, and you want the nose as high
as possible, while rolling.

Once the nose falls, it's hard to get it up because of
the relation of the CM to the wheel contact point on
the ground. At a high AOA, the CM is pretty close
to the vertical location of the wheel contact point,
and the elevator is effective.

The key is to understand the wheel contact point in
relation to the CM. Most A/C with tricycle gear are
designed to keep the weight on the mains and keep
the forward lightly loaded.
Ken

Good grief.

Bertie
Old January 5th 08, 09:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Roger (K8RI)

On Thu, 3 Jan 2008 07:18:27 -0800, C J Campbell

On 2008-01-01 18:26:04 -0800, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN"
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com said:

Barry wrote:
My examiner called the no flap landing an emergency procedure.

From the Pilot/Controller Glossary:

EMERGENCY- A distress or an urgency condition.

DISTRESS- A condition of being threatened by serious and/or imminent danger
and of requiring immediate assistance.

URGENCY- A condition of being concerned about safety and of requiring timely
but not immediate assistance; a potential distress condition.

So I would say that the inability to extend flaps would be considered an
emergency only if it puts you in serious or imminent danger, or causes you to
be concerned about safety.

I would call it no more than an annoyance unless I have to stuff the airplane
into a really short strip. Emergency? That examiner has to be kidding.

He calls it an emergency because that is where a flap failure is in the
PTS. It is in the "Emergency Procedures" section. I doubt very much
that the examiner thinks it is really an emergency.

As was said earlier, no flaps can be a bit of an inconvenience, or
normal, but a split flap condition can really add excitement to your
day. :-)) They had an AD out for Bonanzas, Debonairs, and Barons for
this. Then someone managed to convince the FAA that even a split flap
condition in these is not an emergency although it might push the
adrenalin up there a bit. All of these planes have enough aileron
authority to overcome the split flap condition so they dropped the AD.

Roger (K8RI)

OTOH, people do manage to turn non-emergencies into emergencies. Every
now and then you hear of someone who smashes up a perfectly flyable
airplane simply because they managed to spear a June bug with the pitot
tube, or a door popped open in flight, or something minor like that.

Old January 5th 08, 01:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Morgans[_2_]

"karl mcgruber" skywagon wrote in message
Here's some pix:
http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c5/kgr...185kgfront.jpg
http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c5/kgr...niercessna.jpg
http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c5/kgr...__640x480_.jpg
http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c5/kgr...__640x480_.jpg
http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c5/kgr...nformation.jpg

Ahh, Karl, that last one is not a Cessna 185, I believe.

Or is that what you hope it will grow up to be? g

Nice 185, though. Thanks.
--
Jim in NC

Old January 5th 08, 02:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
C J Campbell[_1_]

On 2008-01-05 05:53:09 -0800, "Morgans" said:

"karl mcgruber" skywagon wrote in message
Here's some pix:
http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c5/kgr...185kgfront.jpg
http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c5/kgr...niercessna.jpg
http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c5/kgr...__640x480_.jpg
http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c5/kgr...__640x480_.jpg
http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c5/kgr...nformation.jpg

Ahh, Karl, that last one is not a Cessna 185, I believe.

Or is that what you hope it will grow up to be? g

Nice 185, though. Thanks.

No. The last one is Karl at work.
--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Old January 5th 08, 04:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Morgans[_2_]

"C J Campbell" wrote

No. The last one is Karl at work.

I suspected that.
--
Jim in NC

flaps Kobra[_4_] Piloting 84 July 16th 07 06:16 PM
flaps Kobra[_4_] Owning 85 July 16th 07 06:16 PM
Britney's flaps Michael Baldwin, Bruce Products 0 December 9th 06 12:34 AM
FLAPS skysailor Soaring 36 September 7th 05 05:28 AM
f-84G Flaps question Frederico Afonso Military Aviation 0 September 8th 04 05:58 PM