My next medical

Old April 1st 06, 04:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default My next medical

I used to do some work with the local oral surgery training program. One
day, I went into their office and they had no patients in the waiting area.
The two chief residents got a curious look and then pulled me into the chair
and yanked all four of mine.

Slow day?

Remind me not to get a job in a dentist's office.

Jose
--
Nothing takes longer than a shortcut.
Old April 1st 06, 05:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Remember why they call it "practicing" medicine. They have to practice on
somebody!

Actually, mine needed to come out, I just wasn't expecting it that day.

m...

Old April 2nd 06, 03:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Reminds me of the joke...don't ever tell a 2 wisdom teeth story...the 4
wisdom teeth guys will never let it stand...YOU GOT NOTHIN' 2 WISDOM
TOOTH GUY!
CPW

Old April 3rd 06, 12:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I had mine done 1.5 years ago at age 28 by a regular dentist local
anesthetic 2 1 day 2 weeks later the other 2 Cost was $350.00 per extraction
+ X rays Panoramic $$$$ Now if I went to the Oral Surgeon and had all 4
removed at once Would ahve been double or 3 times that ammount.

Steven L. Rhine
CP ASEL & AMEL Instrument Airplane
CFI (Student)

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" wrote in message
Montblack wrote:
Dentist said, these days he doesn't see many 46 year olds with all of

their
wisdom teeth. I've still got mine ...x(4).

As do I at 52. I was told by a dentist back when I was 17 to have mine
removed... could have had it paid for by CHAMPUS. But did I?

Nooooooo..... Now
God only knows what it'd cost. I'm still resisting the urge.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Old April 4th 06, 11:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Roger wrote:
Same for Colonoscopicy (sp?). You're gonna do WHAT with that thing?
The lights go out and you wake up an hour or two later. Of course you
told them your life's history while out and all the dirty little
secrets and where you hide your money and porn magazines.

No you don't. What you really do is fart a lot, to the great amusement of
everybody on the other side of the curtains. So nobody knows where you stashed
your money but they might be able to guess what you've had to eat.

If it was done as routine screening they don't care. You list it as
routine screening and every one is happy. Ah, the indignities of
age...and no you don't go flying right after having one of those due
to the little nap. OTOH I didn't notice any after effects from the
anesthetic.

I have driven after a root canal done after I preloaded myself with 15mg of
Vicodin (hydrocodone) without any problems but I don't think I'd consider flying
until the next day. And while I've never had a colonoscopy, I have had an EGD
(esophageal gastric duodenoscopy), which is where they stick the tube down your
throat and look at your guts from the other end. Like the colonoscopy, it's
done under conscious sedation. They call it conscious but as far as most people
can tell, it sure seems like lights out. In any case, I did *not* drive home
after that; I was driven by a friend. And if I wouldn't drive, I sure as hell
wouldn't fly.

But I would the next day.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Old April 4th 06, 12:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Roger wrote:
I busted a leg ice skating. (broke the outer bone right off) Had to
have it screwed back together. They never even asked to see the
X-Ray. OTOH I had the cast off in 4 weeks for physical therapy, and
was back ice skating in 60. I had a removable walking cast. Once the
swelling had gone down I had no restrictions as to driving ... or what
ever.

WTH? If they plated and screwed it, what did you need a cast for? It's already
held together by the hardware.

I never did have a limp. (except with the cast on)
Only thing is, if I fly commercial I have to carry a copy of the X-Ray
as I still have the metal plate and screws in my leg.

I don't see why. I carried two plates with 13 screws in my arm and 4 screws in
my hip without ever setting off a metal detector *anywhere*. Now I'm minus one
of the plates, 6 of the screws in my arm and the 4 screws in my hip but I've
gained a prosthetic hip. Still haven't ever set off a metal detector. I figure
that must be some sort of urban legend. I've heard of others setting them off
but never talked to anyone who it happened to themselves. And I work on an
orthopedics / neuro unit, so I talk to a *lot* of folks with hardware in them.

They tell me I'll have to have it out some day, but it doesn't bother
so I've figured, why bother.

There is some evidence to suggest that long term existence of hardware may lead
to osteoporosis but it is hardly definitive. Frankly, if it ain't broke, don't
fix it. The only reason I got rid of some of my hardware was that it remained
infected for all the years I had it and it started draining spontaneously every
couple of weeks. I can't be dripping from my arm while working on a surgical
floor so it had to be fixed... and it was. No more problems. The other
remaining plate has been fine and I have no plans to remove it... don't even
know it's there most of the time. My hip got arthritic and I have a new one now
so I ditched the screws in the old one.

All of my orthopedic procedures have been well documented with the FAA. I did
not mention the EGD as it was just part of a workup for another procedure rather
than because of a particular health problem. The subsequent surgery was
disclosed though...

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Old April 4th 06, 05:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Report it - nobody cares.

Three times I've reported surgeries to repair broken bones (parachute
accidents - I guess I just don't learn) and the most I've ever been
asked was to stand on one leg (the one I reported).

Michael

Old April 4th 06, 09:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Aluckyguess wrote:
I was at work the next day

I did one on each side, upper jaw, on the same day, local anesthetic
only.
I didn't realize he was even done removing the first one, but the
second one took two people.
Next day? I was unable to go to school (military), so I and a friend
went up to Napa valley all day. I looked like a super-chipmunk, with
those swollen jaws, but by mid-afternoon the pain was gone....
Nothing to do with flying, other than my attitude for that one day.

Old April 4th 06, 10:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"
Only thing is, if I fly commercial I have to carry a copy of the X-Ray
as I still have the metal plate and screws in my leg.

I don't see why. I carried two plates with 13 screws in my arm and 4
screws in my hip without ever setting off a metal detector *anywhere*.

Right. I have 4 big screws and two rods in my back, and don't set off any
metal detectors.

Plates and screws and other surgical hardware is either titanium, or high
grade stainless steel, both of which are non magnetic. You will not set off
any metal detectors, I'll bet. Have you gone through any pre-flight
screening, and set off the alarm?
--
Jim in NC

Old April 5th 06, 09:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

wrote

I did one on each side, upper jaw, on the same day, local anesthetic
only.
I didn't realize he was even done removing the first one, but the
second one took two people.
Next day? I was unable to go to school (military), so I and a friend
went up to Napa valley all day.

I had mine cut out, only three, and 2 of 3 had to be chiseled out. I was
back at work, for my warehouse job (college summer job) at 8 PM, that night.
No big deal.
--
Jim in NC