2011 Senior Championships, First Official Day.

Old March 14th 11, 06:56 AM
Walt Connelly Walt Connelly is offline
Senior Member

Default 2011 Senior Championships, First Official Day.

Well the first official day went off well. Hook up crew managed to get everyone airborne in just under an hour. The Japanese guys are great, they work hard and don't seem to tire but neither did I at 19 or 20. I was standing with three of them on my side of the grid prior to launch and asked their ages and majors in college. Their combined ages just equaled mine. I hooked up the first several airplanes and then turned it over to my able assistant and one more of the Japanese students. Let the young guys chase the rope, the old guy will run the wing. I have new orthotics in my shoes for tomorrow and my foot should feel better. The aches and pains of getting older.

I really admire how they do things as a team when the come here to learn to fly. They hook up and launch each other and jump in to launch the American students and other pilots here at Seminole Lake. It's amazing how far they come to learn to fly and yet I have a friend about 50 miles away on the coast who thinks it's too far to drive. If he really wanted to learn to soar it would be a different issue I'm sure.

I've been trying to participate in the assembly and disassembly of as many planes as possible. I was somewhat intimidated by the need to box and unbox a glass ship each day but with as much practice as I have had recently that feeling is going away. KS, R and 711 make it look easy. At least I am becoming familiar with what I would like to have and not have relative to assembly.

The weather looks good for the rest of the week. Mostly blue but warm and flyable anyway. Tuesday is looking good for my ride with KS with possibly a chance for a few clouds, that would be nice. Okay, where did I put that condom catheter thingy?

Walt
Old March 14th 11, 12:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

I was somewhat intimidated by the need to box
and unbox a glass ship each day but with as much practice as I have had
recently that feeling is going away.

Some pilots/owners don't see that as a need, and only put the glider
away if thunderstorms threaten.

Even when bad weather is on the way the glider may be safer tied down
than risking being caught in strong winds while in the middle of the
de-rig.

Andy

Old March 14th 11, 05:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
lanebush

On Mar 14, 8:28*am, Andy wrote:
I was somewhat intimidated by the need to box
and unbox a glass ship each day but with as much practice as I have had
recently that feeling is going away.

Some pilots/owners don't see that as a need, and only put the glider
away if thunderstorms threaten.

Even when bad weather is on the way the glider may be safer tied down
than risking being caught in strong winds while in the middle of the
de-rig.

Andy

Is there a spot web site set up?
Old March 14th 11, 07:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

http://www.hawketracking.org/snats/files/tracking.htm
Old March 14th 11, 07:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Mar 14, 10:52*am, lanebush wrote:
On Mar 14, 8:28*am, Andy wrote:

I was somewhat intimidated by the need to box
and unbox a glass ship each day but with as much practice as I have had
recently that feeling is going away.

Some pilots/owners don't see that as a need, and only put the glider
away if thunderstorms threaten.

Even when bad weather is on the way the glider may be safer tied down
than risking being caught in strong winds while in the middle of the
de-rig.

Andy

Is there a spot web site set up?

Now that's what I'd call a non sequitur.
Old March 14th 11, 08:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

On Mar 14, 8:28*am, Andy wrote:

I was somewhat intimidated by the need to box
and unbox a glass ship each day but with as much practice as I have had
recently that feeling is going away.

Some pilots/owners don't see that as a need, and only put the glider
away if thunderstorms threaten.

Even when bad weather is on the way the glider may be safer tied down
than risking being caught in strong winds while in the middle of the
de-rig.

Andy

Is there a spot web site set up?

Now that's what I'd call a non sequitur.

since when has staying strictly on topic had any place on RAS?