AD on Glasflugel Gliders

Old August 7th 12, 02:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
avH8tor

Default AD on Glasflugel Gliders

https://www.federalregister.gov/arti...alregister.gov
Old August 7th 12, 06:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

So after reading this am I correct in assuming that of the Libelle
201b's it only applies to S/N 169?
Old August 7th 12, 07:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter von Tresckow

I believe that is the one t-tail Libelle.

Peter

Old September 8th 12, 03:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
avH8tor

More on Sept 8: http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2012...2012-22039.pdf
Old September 8th 12, 04:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
RAS56 RAS56 is offline
Member

I didn't see it listed on this AD, but it sounds similar to one that a friend just addressed on his late model (2001) 304 CZ-17. He originally thought the AD was overkill, especially for something as new and well-taken care of as his, but when they got into performing the actions to comply, found very significant levels of corrosion and was happy they had discovered it.

He monitors this forum, so perhaps will chime in and relate his thoughts and experiences on this subject.

Regards,

Rob
ZAP
Old September 10th 12, 04:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Randy Teel

I was not really too concerned about the latest Service Bulletin/AD since my 304CZ
was such a new glider and never abused or left out the weather, but I was so very
wrong! I had just received my CG release hardware and I ask my mechanic to do the
AD inspection at the same time. When the pushrod was removed, major damage was
discovered. About 4" up from the bottom of the pushrod, there was about a 1" spilt.
At some time, there had to be at least 3" of water in the bottom of the pushrod. This
water froze and ruptured out the side of the pushrod. A lot of rust/corrosion was removed
from the pushrod. This damage was not discovered during the initial inspection for
drain hole. The damage was located above a rib/bulkhead in the fin.
If you want to see pictures of the old pushrod, email me at

Randy
N304BU

Tulsa, OK

He notified me that I did not have the
required drain hole, so I ordered the kit and it was installed this morning. My
mechanic called me this afternoon to tell me that there was a major issue with
my original elevator pushrod. He said that from the amount of corrosion at the
bottom of the pushrod that there might have been at least 3" of water in it. At
some point in time, the water froze and ruptured the bottom of the pushrod. His
personal opinion is that the pushrod might have failed within a couple of years!
I am picking up my glider in the morning and will get pictures posted to very
soon. If it is truly as bad as my mechanic says it was, I would suggest that you
do not put off the inspection. The damage was not noticed during the original
inspection for the drain hole!

Old September 10th 12, 05:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Randy Teel

My previous post was from a posting I did on the 304CZ YahooGroup. I was editing it on my iPad for the R.A.S. and did not turn out as planned. On my iPad I don't have the option to correct my posting.

Randy

Glasflugel AD BruceGreeff Soaring 8 November 8th 11 01:06 AM
Glasflugel 303 canopy Wayne Paul Home Built 0 December 12th 09 06:42 AM
FS:Original Glasflugel 304 Pete Russell Soaring 0 March 6th 06 12:58 AM
FS: Glasflugel 304c tvlawyer Soaring 0 February 28th 04 03:56 AM
FS: Glasflugel 304c tvlawyer Soaring 0 February 22nd 04 05:25 PM