Life Insurance for Glider Pilots??

Old January 11th 05, 02:30 AM

Default Life Insurance for Glider Pilots??

Looking for recommendations on who provides reasonable coverage rates
for glider pilots; just went through the '45' age barrier and rates are
starting to shoot up (like exponential); looking for alternatives.
Any help deeply appreciated!

Peter (2T)
(CA, USA)

Old January 11th 05, 06:54 AM
F.L. Whiteley

wrote in message
ups.com...
Looking for recommendations on who provides reasonable coverage rates
for glider pilots; just went through the '45' age barrier and rates are
starting to shoot up (like exponential); looking for alternatives.
Any help deeply appreciated!

Peter (2T)
(CA, USA)

Here's a start

http://tinyurl.com/4kg4t

Old January 11th 05, 07:04 AM
BTIZ

I've bought lots of life insurance.. starting years ago..
as I was already rated as a pilot.. my agent was able to find companies that
would write policies for pilots without exorbitant rates.. as I reached age
40.. the extra couple of dollars I paid per month disappeared.. probably
because by then I had proved I could fly.. LOL

Buying life insurance for any individual, the premium rates go up
drastically when you are past age 45, and again at age 50.. because you fly
just makes it more expensive.

BT

ups.com...

Old January 11th 05, 03:49 PM

I get SSA's ADD (accidental death & dismemberment) every year for $113
bucks that buys me 100K worth. I'm covered in my experimental sailplane
while racing it. Only problem is you got to "buy the farm" in an
accident, cancer doesn't count. Also you must kick off within a year of
your crash or they won't pay either. Not a bad price for the stated
limits. Didn't read to much of the dismemberment limitations, it got
into 2 legs or 1 leg and 1 arm, got depressed and quit reading.
:) JJ

Old January 12th 05, 02:09 AM

I'm 41 and bought a $500K term life policy from First Penn Pacific
about four years ago. The policy is for 30 years and has fixed
payments that stay constant for the term of the policy. I have no
health problems, and am a non-smoker. The policy costs $900 per year
with aviation coverage.

I would also suggest purchasing a disability insurance policy to cover
your living expenses (e.g., mortgage if this applies) in case of an
accident, glider or otherwise. I work in health care and see first
hand that disability resulting from an accident is much more likely to
occur than death.

Old January 12th 05, 07:41 PM
CharlieSierra

Peter -

The best deal out there that I've found is AOPA. Even with the yearly
dues, the coverage is exceptional for the price. Other policies with an
aviation rider often include rather broad exclusions which theirs
doesn't. Check it out!

Conrad
(CS)