Tinted canopies desirable?

Old August 8th 09, 06:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Itsaplane[_2_]

Default Tinted canopies desirable?

I've wondered about the desirability of having a tinted canopy. Even
with the heat of flying in the desert, I'm concerned that if you made
the mistake of landing after sunset, near dark, you might wish your
canopy wasn't tinted...

Comments?

Eric
ER
Old August 8th 09, 06:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Aug 7, 10:06*pm, Itsaplane wrote:
I've wondered about the desirability of having a tinted canopy. *Even
with the heat of flying in the desert, I'm concerned that if you made
the mistake of landing after sunset, near dark, you might wish your
canopy wasn't tinted...

Comments?

Eric
ER

A very darkly tinted canopy on a PW-5 also has the advantage that your
friends can't see you. (How's that Al?).

-

Seriously having faced evil hot heat, I'll take the tinting to cut
down on heat in the high desert and elsewhere. Both my gliders have
had the standard meccaplex dark blue tint and I'd order another with
that when I get the chance. It does not seem to be a problem late in
the day.

Darryl

Old August 8th 09, 09:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Al[_7_]

On Aug 7, 10:22*pm, Darryl Ramm wrote:
On Aug 7, 10:06*pm, Itsaplane wrote:

I've wondered about the desirability of having a tinted canopy. *Even
with the heat of flying in the desert, I'm concerned that if you made
the mistake of landing after sunset, near dark, you might wish your
canopy wasn't tinted...

Comments?

Eric
ER

A very darkly tinted canopy on a PW-5 also has the advantage that your
friends can't see you. (How's that Al?).

-

Nice PW5 with a Limo tint job....
Old August 8th 09, 02:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tuno

I weighed the pros and cons carefully when I ordered my new tedsled in
2007, and went with the tinted. (I fly in the hot desert.)

I'm glad I did.

Cogito ergo volo

~ted/2NO
Old August 8th 09, 03:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Udo Rumpf[_2_]

I have owned an ASW24 with a dark blue tinted canopy, and now an ASW27
with a clear canopy and the differance is remarable. The clear canopy is
much hotter everything being equal.
Udo

Old August 8th 09, 03:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wayne Paul

Ray Poquette's company "ThermoTec" makes custom canopies in clear, blue and UV block gray. Here is the link to a graph on his website that may be of interest.
http://www.thermotecusa.com/ThermoTe...opy%20Info.htm

Wayne
HP14 "6F"
http://www.soaridaho.com/

Old August 8th 09, 04:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gary Boggs

I have a G 102 with a very dark canopy and I wish I had a clear one.
It's not usually very hot here, and quite often it's cloudy. It is
much cooler when the sun is shining, but most of the time we're trying
to keep warm! I've landed at legal dark a few times and you hardly
notice the tint. Anyone have a clear 102 canopy they want to trade?

Boggs

On Aug 8, 7:32*am, "Wayne Paul" wrote:
[...]

ER- Hide quoted text -

Old August 8th 09, 05:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_10_]

On Aug 7, 10:06*pm, Itsaplane wrote:
I've wondered about the desirability of having a tinted canopy. *Even
with the heat of flying in the desert, I'm concerned that if you made
the mistake of landing after sunset, near dark, you might wish your
canopy wasn't tinted...

Comments?

Eric
ER

If you fly in the desert you will have daily battles with heat from
May-September so I'd recommend a tinted canopy. I've had tinted
canopies on all my gliders, flying in AZ, NV, CA and UT, and have
never had visibility problems. The tinted canopies look a lot darker
when viewed from the outside because you are looking through two
layers of plastic. From the inside they considerably less dark. Go sit
in a glider with one at the end of a soaring day.

9B
Old August 8th 09, 05:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

Believe most gliders have clear canopies because tinted ones weren't
even available until close to 1980? Only time I wished for a clear
canopy was landing in a tiny field in pouring rain off a Pennsylvania
ridge. If you fly where it's cool and cloudy, there's little
difference. In the Southwest, tinted is a lot more comfortable.
If you're planning a Venus out and return, get the gangster tint.
Jim
Old August 8th 09, 08:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

Itsaplane wrote:
I've wondered about the desirability of having a tinted canopy. Even
with the heat of flying in the desert, I'm concerned that if you made
the mistake of landing after sunset, near dark, you might wish your
canopy wasn't tinted...

I'm curious about how well the typical digital camera handles the blue
tinting. Since they all (most?) have automatic white balance, perhaps
they avoid the color cast that often occurred with film cameras. Of
course, it's not an issue if all your pictures are through an open vent
window.

Most of my flying is in desert conditions, like eastern Washington and
Idaho states, Parowan, Ely, Minden, but I've also flown in other areas
across the country, including back east a number of times. I've always
had clear canopies, but rarely felt overheated, even though I always fly
in long pants and shirts, so I've stayed with the clear canopies for
photography (maybe not an issue anymore) and low light conditions.

I am curious about the use of a blue tint, which would seem to decrease
the contrast of clouds against the sky, instead of a gray or brownish tint.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA

* "Transponders in Sailplanes" http://tinyurl.com/y739x4
* Sections on Mode S, TPAS, ADS-B, Flarm, more

* "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org

micro mesh on canopies BB Soaring 9 November 13th 07 11:24 PM
Grob 103 Canopies Terry Healy Soaring 0 January 15th 04 03:29 PM
Mecaplex and DG recommend tinted John Galloway Soaring 0 September 14th 03 03:50 PM
Who makes Canopies? spektr Home Built 7 August 5th 03 02:04 PM