Riding vs Flying -- How many here ride?

Old July 1st 06, 04:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

Default Riding vs Flying -- How many here ride?

Wot say the group -- do you
currently ride a motorcycle? Did you in the past?

No, and no. I have ridden mopeds on Block Island though.

Jose
--
The monkey turns the crank and thinks he's making the music.
Old July 1st 06, 04:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"houstondan" wrote:
jay, yep, i still ride a bike (1700cc yamaha warrior...v-twin) and i
will say that your analysis of the similarity is good. on a bike, as in
a plane, you have your life in your own hands. it's all up to you. i
will say that over the years, my idea of a good bike ride has shifted a
bit. a couple of hours being bounced in a convection-oven (houston
summer at 80mph) is about all i can take, or want to take, any more.
lately, i'll confess to looking at the bike and thinking how much it
would bring in a.m.u.

My husband and I used to ride a lot. He does not fly. I see the
similarities in the passions for both and miss the bikes. However, I
disagree that on the bike, "it's all up to you". Where we lived, the
area had become so congested that the part of the risk factor that is
attributed to *other people* was far greater than the other-pilots
aspect of flying. There's risk in both, but I don't feel nearly as
vulnerable in an airplane as I do on the bike anymore. That
question-and-answer exchange -- "Why don't you ride anymore?" "It's too
dangerous!" -- coming from a pilot always gets some funny reactions.

That said, I still think bikes are a lot of fun and miss an occasional
ride.
Old July 1st 06, 04:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Chris Ehlbeck

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
oups.com...
Having just returned from a 3-day motorcycle camping trip, the riding
experience is once again fresh in my mind. (Alas, I don't get to ride
much nowadays; but there was a time when Mary and I rode
coast-to-coast...)

I'm always struck by the similarities between riding and flying.
Basically, riding is 2-dimensional flying, with similar handling
characteristics and risk factors. The geometry of banking into turns
is identical, and the camaraderie with fellow riders is very similar to
that seen among pilots.

And, of course, the risk of instant death caused by someone else's (or
your own) stupidity is always present. That heightened sense of "being
alive" is something both riders and flyers seem to crave.

It used to be that most pilots I knew rode motorcycles, but that seems
to be less of a correlation lately. Wot say the group -- do you
currently ride a motorcycle? Did you in the past?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Pathfinder N56993
www.AlexisParkInn.com
"Your Aviation Destination"

After a 15 year hiatus I just bought a new motorcycle. Yes there are
similarities. But I have to admit, the $10 breakfasts are easier on the
wallet than the $100 hamburger!

--
Chris Ehlbeck, PP-ASEL
"It's a license to learn, have fun and buy really expensive hamburgers."

Old July 1st 06, 05:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
bsalai

Jay Honeck wrote:
[...]

I've ridden since 1968, I just learned to fly three years ago. I now fly
more than I ride, but enjoy both. Wife won't do either one, sigh...

Brad
Old July 1st 06, 05:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John Gaquin

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message

Wot say the group -- do you
currently ride a motorcycle? Did you in the past?

Haven't ridden in about 25 years - no particular reason, just other
interests predominant. Rode extensively through the 70s, particularly
mid-late. Owned 5 bikes: a '67 BSA 650, '69 Triumph 650, '72 Honda 750,
and two bikes I built in custom frames - one with a late 50s Harley engine,
one with a Honda 750. That Honda four in a low frame with a long wheelbase
was the best road bike I owned. Smooth as silk, but not much torque, so you
had to manage the powerband-not a real big issue. Crossed the country at
least once on each of them except the Harley custom, which I sold shortly
after building it. Total cross-country treks = 6, about 2/3 off highway.
Never had to lay a bike down; never had any trouble with other motorists.
Good old days.

Old July 1st 06, 05:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily[_1_]

Jay Honeck wrote:
snip

It used to be that most pilots I knew rode motorcycles, but that seems
to be less of a correlation lately. Wot say the group -- do you
currently ride a motorcycle? Did you in the past?

No way in hell. I'm afraid of heights and yes, that includes the three
feet off the ground on a bike. Waaaaaay too easy to fall off.
Old July 1st 06, 05:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Vaughn Simon

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
oups.com...

It used to be that most pilots I knew rode motorcycles, but that seems
to be less of a correlation lately. Wot say the group -- do you
currently ride a motorcycle? Did you in the past?

I still have my old '65 Beemer out in the shed, I drove it daily for 15+
years and nearly rolled the odometer over, but now I haven't even cranked for
some 20 years.

Vaughn

Old July 1st 06, 06:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Wizard of Draws[_1_]

On 7/1/06 8:35 AM, in article
, "Jay Honeck"
wrote:

[...]

Yep and yep. Started on a Honda 250XL, learning out in the desert and then
once I got comfortable, to college. Imagine riding to art class with a
drawing board strapped to your back. I felt like a hang glider.

Now I own and ride a Honda ST 1100.
--
Jeff 'The Wizard of Draws' Bucchino

Cartoons with a Touch of Magic
http://www.wizardofdraws.com

More Cartoons with a Touch of Magic
http://www.cartoonclipart.com

Old July 1st 06, 06:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Montblack[_1_]

("john smith" wrote)
After reading numerous reports about crushed bones and the long
rehabilition process, I decide there would not be a motorcycle in my
future.

So you went out and got married, instead.

Selective research! g

Montblack

Old July 1st 06, 06:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Montblack[_1_]

("Emily" wrote)
No way in hell. I'm afraid of heights and yes, that includes the three
feet off the ground on a bike. Waaaaaay too easy to fall off.

There's a Harley shirt that speaks to that very possibility. :-)

Montblack