Replace weather covers

Old September 30th 18, 10:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Colin Roney

Default Replace weather covers

My weather covers are beginning to look a bit tatty and will
need to be replaced sooner rather than later. The UV has
done it`s damage over the years and the seagulls also who
like to peck and engage in other activities. The plan is to
replace the covers with sailcloth. Any ideas what the best
spec is best for the job.?

Old September 30th 18, 11:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Am 30.09.2018 um 11:42 schrieb Colin Roney:
My weather covers are beginning to look a bit tatty and will
need to be replaced sooner rather than later. The UV has
done it`s damage over the years and the seagulls also who
like to peck and engage in other activities. The plan is to
replace the covers with sailcloth. Any ideas what the best
spec is best for the job.?

We are content with the covers from

https://www.aeroprotect.de/en/default.php

DG500M, then adjusted for DG1001M (from 22m to 20m),
during the season always outside, 8 years old still OK

Frank

Old September 30th 18, 12:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

On Sun, 30 Sep 2018 09:42:51 +0000, Colin Roney wrote:

My weather covers are beginning to look a bit tatty and will need to be
replaced sooner rather than later. The UV has done it`s damage over the
years and the seagulls also who like to peck and engage in other
activities. The plan is to replace the covers with sailcloth. Any ideas
what the best spec is best for the job.?

I'm happy with mine from Clouddancers http://clouddancers.de/
which are still looking good after 8 years use, despite the dirty birdies
best efforts.

I think having covers with a soft/waffled layer under the waterproof top
cover and a netting undersurface for ventilation of the wing and
tailplane is a near essential.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org
Old September 30th 18, 08:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

Another thumbs up for Clouddancer.
I've owned EMFO and currently 2 Clouddancer "Uncutable" sets, besides a canopy/engine bay cover from Jaxida and the usual assortment of other canopy covers.
Jim
Old September 30th 18, 10:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Pitman

Vertigo covers are very good. www.vertigocovers.co.uk

Very well made, and people report very long lasting. Worth the
expense if you have a glider which stays outside all season.

Old October 1st 18, 04:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Rander

Colin,
If you are looking to make your own from sailcloth rethink the material a bit.
Our club is in Portland Oregon and has been making their own for a couple reasons. We needed rain proof cover that would last a good long time as we have our gliders on the line from April 1st - October 3st each year.

Having tried different products we have settled on Soft Touch for the tops and Sunbrella for the bottoms. While over the years they get dirty the still keep doing the job after 7 years or more.

These materials do shrink a bit so make the wing covers 6" longer and a few inches wider.

Steve R.
Old October 2nd 18, 06:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Per Carlin

The choice of material is essential if you make covers by yourself:
The fabric shall be made of Polyester as if does not degenerate due to UV-light as quickly as other fabrics, Nylon is a big NO for long term outdoor usage. The water barrier(in the fabric) shall be PU, it is cheaper and more common with PVC barrier. PU will last longer, PVC will start to fall apart after a year of two.
you also need some kind of lining to make a barrier for condensation, the old school is std cotton, works fine but is kind of expensive. I found knitted 3D-mesh in polyester (equivalent as clouddancers hail proof lining) to be both cheaper and better but also bulkier and heavier which is to be considered during handling and transport.

This is what I used:
https://www.profabrics.co.uk/product...ant=6809802627
https://www.profabrics.co.uk/product...ant=5940965187
https://www.profabrics.co.uk/product...esh-lime-green
Old October 2nd 18, 07:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Colin Roney

At 05:39 02 October 2018, Per Carlin wrote:
The choice of material is essential if you make covers

by yourself:=20

=
common with PVC barrier. PU will last longer, PVC will

start to fall apart
=
after a year of two.
you also need some kind of lining to make a barrier for

condensation, the
o=
ld school is std cotton, works fine but is kind of

expensive. I found
knitt=
ed 3D-mesh in polyester (equivalent as clouddancers

hail proof lining) to
b=
e both cheaper and better but also bulkier and heavier

which is to be
consi=
dered during handling and transport.

This is what I used:
https://www.profabrics.co.uk/products/500d-uv-

resistant-polyester?variant=
=3D6809802627
https://www.profabrics.co.uk/products/padded-mesh-

spacer-mesh?variant=3D594=
0965187
https://www.profabrics.co.uk/products/medium-

weight-knit-mesh-lime-green

Many thanks to those of you who sent in replies.
My plan is to look into the possibilities of making a set
of covers myself from Sailcloth. A few more ideas on
spec/design of Sailcloth covers would be appreciated.
Per Carlin`s contribution is great.

Old October 3rd 18, 03:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Reinholt

Colin,
Please contact Steve Rander directly. Steve founded and operated Schooner Creek Boat Works (Custom built yachts and repair facility) for almost 40 years. He is an incredible craftsman. He also is an accomplished ocean sailboat racer. In addition, he has been a glider pilot for decades. Anything regarding sailing I'd listen to what he has to say.
Craig

Many thanks to those of you who sent in replies.
My plan is to look into the possibilities of making a set
of covers myself from Sailcloth. A few more ideas on
spec/design of Sailcloth covers would be appreciated.
Per Carlin`s contribution is great.

all-weather covers from Kerry Cover Co. Ltd. Peter Scholz[_3_] Soaring 20 December 14th 16 02:55 AM
All Weather Covers Charlie Gillespie Soaring 12 October 20th 14 02:43 PM
weather covers Colin Roney Soaring 2 May 15th 14 08:12 PM
Warm Weather Pilots, Cold Weather Ops john smith Piloting 3 December 2nd 04 05:00 PM
And they say the automated Weather Station problems "ASOS" are insignificant because only light aircraft need Weather Observations and forecasts... Roy Piloting 4 July 12th 03 04:03 PM