Landing with broken rudder cable

Old August 31st 19, 01:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Default Landing with broken rudder cable

I don't think he is suggesting actually going into a cloud......more like, know what your ship if you flew hands off in benign spiral mode which could be used if you were sucked up in a cloud or were trapped on top while wave flying.
Old August 31st 19, 01:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Harry Senn saved my life 5 years before I had a gap in the wave bars close up on me.

He taught my about the benign spinal which I had not been taught in my primary instruction. Trim more or less best L/D, hands and feet off controls other than full spoilers.

Not all ships will do it, and you have to practice in the BLUE over and over again with your ship with different configurations until you Know it will work and not advance into a spiral dive.

Kevin
92
Old August 31st 19, 01:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Still inadvertent IMC in a glider is a terrifying thing and not something to be taken lightly. If you are going to fly wave you must make some preparations and think it through even if you intend to be the most cautious wave flier ever. It can still bite you.

Kevin
92
Old September 1st 19, 01:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

That's why I've already made my bail out decision in the event of a
fire.Â* A friend in the Dominican Republic died because he didn't wear a
parachute and he couldn't get it back to the airport in time.Â* Below
700' AGL, I will put it on the ground with minimal maneuvering.Â* Above
700' AGL, continue to climb while jettisoning the canopy and getting
out.Â* I wear a very quick opening square parachute.

We just completed annual on my Stemme and there were things which should
have been caught on previous inspections, but were not. Every thing has
been corrected.

On 8/30/2019 5:56 PM, Charlie Quebec wrote:
A Stemme caught fire crashed and burnt killing both occupants here in Aus some years ago, given the small number going around, the percentages don’t look to good to me.

--
Dan, 5J
Old September 1st 19, 01:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

I have a Dynon D-10a in my panel and I'm qualified to use it.Â* A lot of
these new glider computers have an attitude indicator function. It would
pay dividends to learn how to use it.

Old September 1st 19, 06:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected][_1_]

I have a great deal of experience flying in max-effort rudder-on-the-stop slips in numerous aircraft ranging from Open Jantars to K-21’s to the awesome AS-W12 and have never felt the aircraft uncontrollable. Have flown literally hundreds of patterns in full rudder-stalled slips right through the flair as this is the only way to land a -12 without using the drag chutes. Never saw a problem.
Old September 10th 19, 08:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
john firth

On Friday, August 30, 2019 at 12:36:02 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Long time ago I landed glider with broken rudder. Rudder cable broke during stopping spin rotation in aerobatic flight on 3000 feet, decided not to bail out to see if flying and landing is possible and to save the glider. Flying with "hardover rudder" (full deflection) was interesting experience. Broken rudder cable will cause a severe yaw and roll with the resulting sideslip. Glider keeps turning, spiraling or circling in one direction (of unbroken cable) weather you like it or not it wants to spin or spiral all the time. You need much higher speed about 140 km/h or more, or whatever it takes to control it to stop turning and to go into steep sideslip to fly straight with 30-50 degree of bank. Forget your legs, you don’t need rudder pedals any more. High speed and ailerons are your only friends. Keep your speed high because glider wants to spiral and stall at slower speeds. I landed that "sucker" perfectly by flying high speed in deep "grave" sideslip all the way to the ground to middle of airport leveling wings moment before touchdown with full air brakes. I'm probably one of very few pilots that pulled this off with success, and I was 22 at that time, had 130 flying hours in 220 flights.
I remember that in situation like this you think very fast, you even have time to think that a few months earlier there was the same type of accident in other part of the country and pilot bailed out and glider went through the roof of the house. Also tighten your belts and keep your feet off rudder pedals, just in case. Keep your speed high, wings level, expect severe yaw, circles become wider, it takes time before you can fly straight with one wing low. If you slow down glider will start turning again so keep your speed up to go straight. This flight was 9 minutes including 6 minutes tow to 3300 feet when several other “normal” aerobatic flights were 16 minutes.
Andre

Gliders of the 50 s and 60 s had rudder areas often much greater than the fin;
this made them liable to lock hard over.
In the 70 s Wortmann among others, designed tail sections with adequate
( flap deflected) lift coefficients with rudder area only 20% or so of the
total area. These will not lock over as I proved with a test on my PIK 20.
Proceedu establish a slip with full rudder, remove feet from pedals
and release the stick. Glider returns to level flight after a few oscillations.
No problem getting the string centered with aileron only.
JMF