Flashing landing lights?

Old October 28th 08, 10:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.misc
Potatora

Default Flashing landing lights?

A couple days ago I saw an airliner coming into Boise, in final
approach, with its landing lights flashing. They were alternating high
beam to low beam (I never knew they had that capability) on the left,
then on the right. left, right, left, right...

What was that all about? Onboard emergency as in sick passenger?
Old October 29th 08, 06:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.misc
John Kunkel

"Potatora" wrote in message
A couple days ago I saw an airliner coming into Boise, in final
approach, with its landing lights flashing. They were alternating high
beam to low beam (I never knew they had that capability) on the left,
then on the right. left, right, left, right...

The flashing lights enhance visibility.

Old October 29th 08, 07:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.misc
Potatora

On Oct 29, 11:41*am, "John Kunkel" wrote:
"Potatora" wrote in message

A couple days ago I saw an airliner coming into Boise, in final
approach, with its landing lights flashing. They were alternating high
beam to low beam (I never knew they had that capability) on the left,
then on the right. left, right, left, right...

The flashing lights enhance visibility.

Well, duh, I guess the would. But why would visibility need to be
enhanced? It was unlimited already, not a cloud in the sky. Why have I
never seen any other airliner doing that?

I am NOT talking about the 'strobe' light, or the red and green
running lights. I'm talking about the *landing* lights, the really
bright ones on the wing.

Old October 29th 08, 09:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.misc
Scott Skylane

Potatora wrote:

The flashing lights enhance visibility.

Well, duh, I guess the would. But why would visibility need to be
enhanced? It was unlimited already, not a cloud in the sky. Why have I
never seen any other airliner doing that?

/snip/

No, he means that the flashing enhances the visibility of the aircraft
to others in the area. The human eye picks up on movement/change much
faster than on something in a steady state. While this type of landing
light feature is a common add-on to smaller aircraft, it is, for some
reason, fairly un-common on large aircraft.

Happy Flying!
Scott Skylane
Old October 30th 08, 03:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.misc
Potatora

On Oct 29, 2:38*pm, Scott Skylane wrote:

No, he means that the flashing enhances the visibility of the aircraft
to others in the area. *The human eye picks up on movement/change much
faster than on something in a steady state. *While this type of landing
light feature is a common add-on to smaller aircraft, it is, for some
reason, fairly un-common on large aircraft.

Why was THIS airliner using it and not others?

I KNOW it would enhance visibility. The question is why would THIS ONE
airplane use it. SEE?
Old October 30th 08, 04:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.misc
Scott Skylane

Potatora wrote:

On Oct 29, 2:38 pm, Scott Skylane wrote:

No, he means that the flashing enhances the visibility of the aircraft
to others in the area. The human eye picks up on movement/change much
faster than on something in a steady state. While this type of landing
light feature is a common add-on to smaller aircraft, it is, for some
reason, fairly un-common on large aircraft.

Why was THIS airliner using it and not others?

I KNOW it would enhance visibility. The question is why would THIS ONE
airplane use it. SEE?

Read my last sentence, and understand it. SEE???
Old October 30th 08, 11:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.misc
Bob Noel[_2_]

Potatora wrote:
On Oct 29, 2:38 pm, Scott Skylane wrote:

No, he means that the flashing enhances the visibility of the aircraft
to others in the area. The human eye picks up on movement/change much
faster than on something in a steady state. While this type of landing
light feature is a common add-on to smaller aircraft, it is, for some
reason, fairly un-common on large aircraft.

Why was THIS airliner using it and not others?

I KNOW it would enhance visibility. The question is why would THIS ONE
airplane use it. SEE?

When safety enhancements are retrofitted to a fleet, there will always
be a time when most aircraft do not have the enhancement.

Old October 30th 08, 08:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.misc
Potatora

On Oct 30, 4:54*am, Bob Noel wrote:

When safety enhancements are retrofitted to a fleet, there will always
be a time when most aircraft do not have the enhancement.

So we can expect to see more of this blinking in the future? I would
think it would be a distraction to the pilot when landing the plane.
To the ground personnel, it would certainly be an enhancement. But
what happens when you have several aircraft visible in an area, and
one of them has blinking landing lights? Wouldn't that also be a
distraction from the other aircraft? What I'm getting at, is I can see
it as being useful for a signaling mechanism e.g. for an ambulance
crew when a plane is bringing in a passenger needing attention
(remember how the police and fire couldn't communicate during 9/11
because of radio issues? All that would need to be communicated from
the tower is "it's the plane with the blinking lights").

What I don't see being very useful is for some planes to use it and
others not to, based only on the whim of the pilot. So I'm wondering
if there's any policy or rule by any authority on when this feature
can or can not be used.

Old October 31st 08, 12:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.misc
Bob Noel[_2_]

Potatora wrote:
On Oct 30, 4:54 am, Bob Noel wrote:

When safety enhancements are retrofitted to a fleet, there will always
be a time when most aircraft do not have the enhancement.

So we can expect to see more of this blinking in the future?

I hope so. It greatly increases the ability of other pilots
to see the aircraft.

mystery of the colored flashing lights [email protected] Instrument Flight Rules 11 April 1st 07 09:21 PM
Landing lights Robert Barker Owning 20 May 11th 06 02:33 AM
Landing lights Matt Barrow Owning 0 May 9th 06 04:11 PM
Advice on landing lights? Rob Turk Home Built 29 January 23rd 06 07:32 PM
Landing Lights at NAPA Jay Honeck Owning 43 November 3rd 05 08:32 PM