Removing Old Tape

Old March 26th 12, 08:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kevin Christner

Default Removing Old Tape

I have some cloth type tape sealing the ailerons of my Elfe S3. I'm
pretty sure the tape is restricting the ailerons from reaching maximum
deflection, and it needs to be replaced anyways.

Any ideas for the best way to get this stuff off?

Thanks

2C
Old March 26th 12, 08:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Evan Ludeman[_4_]

On Mar 26, 3:31*pm, Kevin Christner wrote:
I have some cloth type tape sealing the ailerons of my Elfe S3. *I'm
pretty sure the tape is restricting the ailerons from reaching maximum
deflection, and it needs to be replaced anyways.

Any ideas for the best way to get this stuff off?

Thanks

2C

Heat often helps. Hair dryer is probably easiest/safest. Most PSA
adhesives on tapes we use become much easier to deal with at about
120F.

T8
Old March 26th 12, 09:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Koerner

But if there is a solvent in your future... Naptha solvent (cigarette
lighter fuel) is said to be safest on glider finishes. However,
Xylene solvent (major ingredient in 3M Adhesive Remover) usually works
the best on most adhesives; normally better than Naptha or Acetone.

GW
Old March 26th 12, 09:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike C

On Mar 26, 2:15*pm, Steve Koerner wrote:
But if there is a solvent in your future... Naptha solvent (cigarette
lighter fuel) is said to be safest on glider finishes. * However,
Xylene solvent (major ingredient in 3M Adhesive Remover) usually works
the best on most adhesives; normally better than Naptha or Acetone.

GW

Goo Gone Extreme works well.

http://hpd.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/house...ds&id=13009030

Mike

Old March 26th 12, 11:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kimmo Hytoenen

At 19:31 26 March 2012, Kevin Christner wrote:
I have some cloth type tape sealing the ailerons of my Elfe S3.

I'm
pretty sure the tape is restricting the ailerons from reaching

maximum
deflection, and it needs to be replaced anyways.

Any ideas for the best way to get this stuff off?

Thanks

2C

Add generously carnauba wax, and then put plastic on top of it so
that the solvents of the wax cannot dissolve, but soften the glue.

Old March 27th 12, 11:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
glidergeek

On Mar 26, 3:40*pm, Kimmo Hytoenen wrote:
At 19:31 26 March 2012, Kevin Christner wrote:

I have some cloth type tape sealing the ailerons of my Elfe S3.

I'm
pretty sure the tape is restricting the ailerons from reaching

maximum
deflection, and it needs to be replaced anyways.

Any ideas for the best way to get this stuff off?

Thanks

2C

Add generously carnauba wax, and then put plastic on top of it so
that the solvents of the wax cannot dissolve, but soften the glue.

I've been removing the mylar and double sided tape dimple zig zag off
of the DG wings. I made a mix of acetone and 3M adhesive remover an
old toothbrush and it works like a champ, can't smoke while you're
doing it.

Removing 2-33A wheel lanebush Soaring 2 June 27th 09 02:15 PM
Removing tape residue from canopy BravoNiner Soaring 15 March 23rd 09 07:23 AM
removing old, dried, masking tape Michael Horowitz Home Built 9 January 4th 07 05:54 PM
Removing RTV John Home Built 6 October 31st 06 10:07 PM
Removing old antennas Jay Honeck Owning 30 March 21st 04 04:34 PM