A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

30 Jun LS-4 Accident?

Old July 4th 19, 12:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default 30 Jun LS-4 Accident?

The accidents are getting too numerous to keep up with!
Hit a fence/fence post?? Another fatality.
Old July 4th 19, 12:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, July 3, 2019 at 4:16:43 PM UTC-7, wrote:
The accidents are getting too numerous to keep up with!
Hit a fence/fence post?? Another fatality.

Please do not make irresponsible posts like this. It's not a counting game for your amusement. At least post some details or a link, instead of causing worry here for everybody who knows somebody with an LS4. We don't even know what country you are talking about.

I presume you are referring to this accident in New Mexico. https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/226749
Old July 4th 19, 02:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

This report, calling it a crash, may not be accurate. The pilot may have suffered an in-flight medical incident, which resulted in an emergency landing while enduring significant impairment. The pilot was found in the cockpit with no apparent injuries, the aircraft certainly did not exhibit major damage and the cause of the accident is still under investigation.

The pilot, a visitor from out of state, was a fine gentleman and a good pilot. He had flown from Moriarty in previous years, but I personally choose to believe that he experienced a serious incapacitation while in flight and made an heroic effort to land safely, but had some bad luck on final approach.
My heartfelt condolences to his family and friends.

Until a final report is in via the Coroner, the NM Office of the Medical Investigation and NTSB, it would be inappropriate for RAS commenters to express uninformed and speculative opinions.

That is the job of the mainstream news media.
Old July 4th 19, 05:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

It’s not a counting game for my amusement. We all should be concerned about gliding accidents, especially fatal ones. Who here hasn’t learned something from other people’s mistakes?As to details, didn’t I include the glider type and the DATE? Yes, it’s the NM accident I’m referring to, the circumstances, etc..
Old July 4th 19, 05:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike C
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, July 3, 2019 at 7:48:37 PM UTC-6, wrote:
This report, calling it a crash, may not be accurate. The pilot may have suffered an in-flight medical incident, which resulted in an emergency landing while enduring significant impairment. The pilot was found in the cockpit with no apparent injuries, the aircraft certainly did not exhibit major damage and the cause of the accident is still under investigation.

The pilot, a visitor from out of state, was a fine gentleman and a good pilot. He had flown from Moriarty in previous years, but I personally choose to believe that he experienced a serious incapacitation while in flight and made an heroic effort to land safely, but had some bad luck on final approach.
My heartfelt condolences to his family and friends.

Until a final report is in via the Coroner, the NM Office of the Medical Investigation and NTSB, it would be inappropriate for RAS commenters to express uninformed and speculative opinions.

That is the job of the mainstream news media.

The autopsy has revealed that the pilot had a massive heart attack while flying.
He must have been experiencing intense pain but still managed to land his sailplane without major damage. Very sad.
Old July 4th 19, 02:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roy B.
external usenet poster

All:
Such medical events really do happen in an aging pilot group and are indeed sad when they do. In my club 5 years ago, we had a pilot fly for about 2 hours, execute an appropriate pattern, approach & landing, but he never exited the aircraft after pulling off the runway. One of the line kids who went out to help him reported back "He is asleep and I couldn't wake him". The EMTs could not revive him. I was the tow pilot that day.
ROY
Old July 4th 19, 08:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

I presume you are referring to this accident in New Mexico. https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/226749

The report on this website is an irresponsible fabrication, except for the location and aircraft registration. The aircraft was not "totally destroyed," but did have damage to the leading edge, canopy and landing gear doors. The Coroner's report indicated the pilot suffered a heart attack, but managed to land with what I consider to be minor damage, considering the pain he must have been experiencing. He was found dead in the cockpit with no apparent injuries.

Just because it is on the Internet does not mean it is true. I know this must be a surprise to some of you.
Old July 4th 19, 08:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

ASN website accident narrative description was changed.