Twin engine prop rotation?

Old December 12th 07, 05:54 AM
Chris Wells Chris Wells is offline
Senior Member

Default Twin engine prop rotation?

What are the aerodynamic implications of prop rotation on a twin? I was reading an article about the development of the P38, and apparently they changed the prop rotation from "inwards" to "outwards" - why? Is this a standard rotation on twin engine planes now?
Old December 12th 07, 03:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.misc
John Szalay

Default 1967 Lightning strike crash?

Chris Wells wrote in
:

I'm reading some articles on aircraft lighgtning strikes, and most
mention an incident in 1967 when an airplane was brought down by
lightning; however I can't find info on this crash. Can anyone tell me
when & where this happened?

IIRC: that was a Cargo 747 over Spain

Here tis....

5) 09.05.76 () Boeing 747-131F
5-8104 (19677/73) Islamic Republic of Iran Air Force
17 fatalities / 17 occupants +
Location: Madrid; nr (Spain) Natu Freight
Phase: Descent from: to: Madrid-Torrejon AFB Flightnr.: ULF48
The aircraft was struck by lightning while descending through FL100 on
its way to Torrejon AFB. The explosion in the no.1 fuel tank which
followed caused severe damage to the left wing. 54 Seconds later the
left wing failed and freighter crashed. POSSIBLE CAUSE: Ignition of fuel
vapour in the ullage of the tank in the vicinity of a motor drive fuel
valve.
Source: FI 15.5.76(1283)

26/06/1959 Lombardia, Italy Lockheed 1549A TWA Hit by Lightning 68 dead

08/12/1963 Elkton, USA 707-121 Pan American World Airways Hit by
lightning 81 dead

http://dnausers.d-n-a.net/dnetGOJG/081263.htm
Old December 12th 07, 03:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.misc
John Szalay

OOPS 76 not 67 sorry bout that...

http://www.airdisaster.com/cgi-bin/v...5091976&reg=5-
8104&airline=Iranian+Air+Force

John Szalay wrote in
2:

Chris Wells wrote in
:

Old December 12th 07, 03:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.misc
John Szalay

Ooops , you said 67 not 76, my bad...

John Szalay wrote in
2:

Chris Wells wrote in
:

Old December 12th 07, 03:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.misc
John Szalay

Chris Wells wrote in
:

I'm reading some articles on aircraft lighgtning strikes, and most
mention an incident in 1967 when an airplane was brought down by
lightning; however I can't find info on this crash. Can anyone tell me
when & where this happened?

All I could find, none for 67

http://www.airdisaster.com/cgi-bin/s...arch=lightning
Old December 12th 07, 10:49 PM
Chris Wells Chris Wells is offline
Senior Member

Hmmm...all the articles indicate it happened in the US...I looked through the NTSB database but came up with squat.
Old December 12th 07, 11:15 PM
Chris Wells Chris Wells is offline
Senior Member

Also, this thread is about twin prop rotation - you want the lightning thread, not the Lightning thread

I figure the way the slipstream works, outward-turning props would tend to exert an upward force on the elevator, inducing a negative pitch moment - compensating for an opposite effect from the thrust lines of the engines, maybe?
Old December 13th 07, 03:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.misc
John Szalay

Default Lightning strikes.

Chris Wells wrote in
:

Hmmm...all the articles indicate it happened in the US...I looked
through the NTSB database but came up with squat.

Which crash ? there are numerous reports.

and the NTSB reports are not complete.. there have been several
crashes that seem never to make it into their database.

Old December 13th 07, 07:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.misc
John Szalay

Chris Wells wrote in
:

I'm reading some articles on aircraft lighgtning strikes, and most
mention an incident in 1967 when an airplane was brought down by
lightning; however I can't find info on this crash. Can anyone tell me
when & where this happened?

One case of a lightning strike on an aircraft,
Spring 1947 Chuck Yeager and Bob Hoover were
flying a B-25 back from the David Clark plant to
Dayton after being fitted for pressure suits for
the Bell X-1 flights. when they were struck
by lightning, blowing away the plexiglass nose
of the aircraft. Hoover was piloting at the time,
but both were blinded by the flash, they had a rush
of air and a smell of burning, after they recovered
their sight, they continued on. But they both came
close to leaving the aircraft, neither wanted to be
the first to bail.
What stands out funny about this incident, the David
Clark plant also produced womens bras and panties so
Chuck had procured several boxes for Glennis onboard,
and he said of this..

"If we had gone down, the investigators would have
searched our wreckage to find two fighters jocks and
a ton of bras and panties"
Old December 16th 07, 01:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.misc
John Szalay

Chris Wells wrote in
:

The references say it was the last lightning-caused crash in the US...

last reference I could find was 1963. NTSB record.

http://ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=86&key=0

will keep looking..