Time, running out of fuel and fuel gauges

Old May 1st 05, 11:51 PM

In the Bonanza I now fly, the wing tanks slope from the cap to the
back of
the wing. Below about 26 gallons, I cannot see the fuel nor dip a

stick to
determine fuel quantity.

Guys flying 180s/185s have the same problem. They make a dipstick
that looks like a scimitar, a curved blade that has a tee on top to
rest on the tank neck and inserted so that the curved blade reaches
toward the back of the tank. (Got to be careful not to cut the rubber
bladder.) It will detect lower fuel levels than the eyeball can.

Dan

Old May 2nd 05, 01:35 AM
Ed H

"Dylan Smith" wrote in message
A couple of points with regard to running out of fuel:

Question for all: how accurate are fuel flow meters?

Old May 2nd 05, 02:45 AM
john smith

Ed H wrote:
Question for all: how accurate are fuel flow meters?

The Cherokee Six I fly has an FS450.
It had been installed for over a year and never calibrated.
After a trip to AirVenture in 2001 with a fuel flow on the guage of 16
gph, imagine my surprise when the fuel truck upload calculated out to 12
gph!
A series of four flights over the next couple months resulted in
tweaking the calibration to where a three hour trip showed only a 0.6
gallon difference between actual fuel used and calculated fuel used.
I couldn't adjust it any better than that.
Old May 2nd 05, 02:57 AM
Peter R.

Ed H wrote:

"Dylan Smith" wrote in message
A couple of points with regard to running out of fuel:

Question for all: how accurate are fuel flow meters?

I have a JPI EDM-800 engine monitor installed in my Bonanza and its fuel
flow meter is accurate to less than 1 gallon per three hour flight. The
JPI reads one gallon less than there really is in the tanks after a three
hour flight. The JPI also has a programmable alarm that will flash time
remaining when time reaches a preset limit. I set it to one hour
remaining., which is the upper limit of the alarm.

Regarding accuracy, there is a method for adjusting the k-factor in this
instrument that would allow me to get the fuel flow even more accurate, but
I have yet to do this.

Another nice feature of the JPI is that it feeds fuel flow and fuel
remaining data to the Garmin GNS430. This allows me to go to the Fuel
Planning page of the GPS to see an actual landing fuel, fuel to next
waypoint, fuel needed for remaining trip, and time remaining (endurance).

Of course, the GIGO factor applies here (garbage in, garbage out). The JPI
needs to be told how much fuel is on board. If the pilot fails to
initialize the instrument with the actual FOB, the fuel remaining and
endurance will obviously be incorrect.

--
Peter

Old May 2nd 05, 03:04 AM
Peter R.

Guys flying 180s/185s have the same problem. They make a dipstick
that looks like a scimitar, a curved blade that has a tee on top to
rest on the tank neck and inserted so that the curved blade reaches
toward the back of the tank.

I wonder if this is possible for the Bonanza's tanks?

--
Peter

Old May 2nd 05, 03:57 AM
George Patterson

Peter R. wrote:

I wonder if this is possible for the Bonanza's tanks?

Why would you need this with tricycle gear?

George Patterson
There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures. Right next to the
mashed potatoes.
Old May 2nd 05, 03:58 AM
George Patterson

Gene Seibel wrote:
The only regulations for fuel gauges are that they read correctly at
empty.

No, the regs also require that they indicate the quantity of fuel in the tank.
All the time.

Old May 2nd 05, 04:12 AM
Peter R.

George Patterson wrote:

I wonder if this is possible for the Bonanza's tanks?

Why would you need this with tricycle gear?

Sorry, George, your question has me confused. Are you asking why I would
like some method for verifying the amount of fuel in the tanks?

--
Peter

Old May 2nd 05, 04:16 AM
George Patterson

Peter R. wrote:

Sorry, George, your question has me confused. Are you asking why I would
like some method for verifying the amount of fuel in the tanks?

No, I just find it amazing that the slope of the tanks could be severe enough on
a trike to require a stick like those used on tailwheel aircraft. Hence, the
question.

Old May 2nd 05, 04:31 AM
Peter R.

George Patterson wrote:

No, I just find it amazing that the slope of the tanks could be severe enough on
a trike to require a stick like those used on tailwheel aircraft. Hence, the
question.

I am not exactly sure what shape the Bonanza's fuel tanks are, but looking
inside I see a shallow slope to the trailing edge. This only permits 26
gallons or more of fuel to be seen.

It would be much more comforting to have a method for verifying exactly how
many gallons of fuel are in each tank. Hence my question.

--
Peter