Just Too Much Fun!

Old January 22nd 10, 01:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie Papa

Default Just Too Much Fun!

I’m writing from Immokalee Florida, after a day spent with Don
Ingraham, of Cross Country Soaring http://crosscountrysoaring.com/ ,
working on winch launch training. To describe the first launch, the
phrase ‘mind blowing’ would be suitable, were it not so over-used,
because your mind just cannot process what is happening as fast as it
happens. I think the most aviation fun I’ve had since my first loop
with Roy Couliette many years ago.

Don offers excellent equipment, (winch and G 103), and instruction
that blends patience with enthusiasm. His written material, which is
offered free on his web site (find it under ‘videos +’), is well
organized and illustrated. And his colleague Stan offers interesting
conversation while showing you how the winch works, and retrieving the
cable for the next launch. It turns out that the launch is a
choreographed dance between the driver and the pilot, mostly
rehearsed, and a little different every time, as variables in wind and
pilot technique need compensation at the Corvette engine’s throttle.

Immokalee is 45 min. from Naples, where a non-flying spouse and kids
could enjoy all the stereotypical benefits of Florida, but seems
itself a real low rent contrast. However, a room at the Imokalee Inn
is only $60, and 3 miles from the airport. So, as strongly as I could
encourage you, get your sorry frost-bitten ass down to South West
Florida for two days of fun and instruction. His endorsement program
is a bargain at $600, and I’m getting a BFR thrown into the bargain.
If Don doesn’t wear you out (I had 15 flights today!), you can join
the gliding club on the field for a week at a fee of $100, which
includes glider rental. There is more complete information on Don’s
web page, including a couple of U Tube videos that should convince you
if you are wavering.

A program this good, and this hard to find in North America, deserves
support. But, I promise, you’ll be doing a bigger favor for yourself
than Don.
Old January 22nd 10, 01:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
vaughn[_2_]

"Charlie Papa" wrote in message
I’m writing from Immokalee Florida, after a day spent with Don
Ingraham, of Cross Country Soaring http://crosscountrysoaring.com/ ,

I flew there the first week & agree with everything Charlie Papa wrote (except I
didn't try the Immokalee Inn) Don's schedule seems to be filling up, but I
really hope to get over there again for another dose of those breathtaking
launches before he leaves. Also, I hope we can get him to promise to come back
again next year.

BTW: Immokalee is the only place that I have ever seen "Caution Panther
Crossing" signs on the road.
http://dep.state.fl.us/secretary/new...10/1010_01.htm

Vaughn

Old January 22nd 10, 10:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom Gardner

On Jan 22, 1:03*am, Charlie Papa wrote:
To describe the first launch, the
phrase ‘mind blowing’ would be suitable, were it not so over-used,
because your mind just cannot process what is happening as fast as it
happens.

It certainly is, and winch launches hooked my daughter on
gliding whereas aerotows didn't.

It is worth looking at
http://www.gliding.co.uk/bgainfo/saf...hlaunching.htm
to see the BGA's safety recommendations and watch some
sobering simulations of launch failures.

Please note that I am in no way qualified to offer advice on safety.
Old January 28th 10, 05:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Adam

On Jan 21, 7:03*pm, Charlie Papa wrote:
[...]

I am just back from a long weekend in Immokalee, FL. I picked two days
to fly with Don at Cross Country Soaring and was signed off with a
winch endorsement and BFR yesterday after 20 launches in total (14+6).
A typical day will log 20-25 launches at a leisurely pace.

Everything these guys are talking about above is spot-on. The field is
perfect for winching and 2000'+ launches are possible from Don's 330
hp winch.

Yesterday we used r/w 36 for short "pattern" launches to 1000' agl.
After a couple we stumbled across a 6 knotter that soon turned into 10
knots. A few minutes later we climbed through 4000' agl and pulled
spoiler. It was painful but I was there to winch, not thermal! I've
never seen more turkey vultures marking thermals and it is very easy
to get away from well under 2000'.

Don breaks down the instruction into logical steps and after you get
past the first couple of face-melters, you take over. By #6 you are
flying the entire launch.

The operation runs smoothly and safety is always forefront. The
equipment and instruction is first-rate. I've flown with Don in the
past and it is always a pleasure. I've met winch-driver Stan and his
son Doug back in MN; both are Sparrowhawk owners from S.D. (Doug was a
test pilot/builder with SH program and brought his ship down for the
week). Stan has forgotten more than I have experienced. A lot of
glider folks with extensive past winch experience showed up to check
it out, pitch in, and take a flight in between students - there was
definitely a buzz in the air!

I'd really like to see this location develop as a winter flying
destination. The local airport staff and chamber of commerce are very
supportive of the operation, the local club is growing offer temporary
memberships to visitors, and the amenities in nearby Naples are
unbeatable. Off season condo rentals are cheap as are direct flights
to Fort Meyers.

Thanks Don, Stan, Mike and Suzzane S., Dick, etc - this was a super
way to get a quick midwinter soaring fix and learn something new. I
had a blast!

/Adam