Expired helicopter parts.

Old November 30th 04, 10:18 PM
John

Default Expired helicopter parts.

Recently I was watching "Monster Garage". The challenge on this
episode (37) was for the team to build a very fast car out of a jet
boat. During the build one of the team members spent six dollars and
some change for an expired helicopter piece. Since the part had been
expired it was apparently only worth a little over six dollars as
scrap aluminum. My question is, what piece of the helicopter is this?
Where did he get it? Or rather where can someone buy expired
helicopter parts?

Basically I live in central California, and since i've been interested
in aviation practically my whole life, i would like to get my hands on
one or more of these parts if they can be found for a reasonable
price.

Thanks to anyone offering advice on where I can find these helicopter
parts.

A link to details of the build:
http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/mo...pisode_37.html
Old December 1st 04, 01:27 PM
B4RT

It was either a horizontal stabilizer or a vertical fin (parts on the tail
section of a helicopter); I cant remember exactly which part it was but I
remember seeing that show.

There are some aircraft boneyards in Arizona if you're looking for this kind
of thing.

Bart

om...

Old December 1st 04, 01:36 PM
SelwayKid

(John) wrote in message . com...
Recently I was watching "Monster Garage". The challenge on this
episode (37) was for the team to build a very fast car out of a jet
boat. During the build one of the team members spent six dollars and
some change for an expired helicopter piece. Since the part had been
expired it was apparently only worth a little over six dollars as
scrap aluminum. My question is, what piece of the helicopter is this?
Where did he get it? Or rather where can someone buy expired
helicopter parts?

Basically I live in central California, and since i've been interested
in aviation practically my whole life, i would like to get my hands on
one or more of these parts if they can be found for a reasonable
price.

Thanks to anyone offering advice on where I can find these helicopter
parts.

Don't expect too much in the way of parts. However, what may be silly
to me might be a goldmine to you! There are a number of time-life
limited components on helicopters. With all the spinning and turning
that goes on, the parts wear at a predetermined rate and are retired
before (well before) failure that could cause a crash. Rotor blades,
transmissions, engines, airframes, etc. In central CA you might call
Bettencourt Flying Service in Delhi and ask for John. He is owner of a
helicopter business, a designated maintenance inspector, a high time
helicopter pilot and as knowledgable as anyone in the country. He is
also a good friend and former student of mine (long ago).
What may be a cheap price on the market might be excessive to you so
be prepared for unusual prices!!
Ol Shy & Bashful

Old December 1st 04, 03:24 PM
brien

Their was a time when Repair stations would cut or destroy in some way
unairworthy parts. Repair Stations are cautioned about destroying private
property.Case in point A repair station found a fabric covered aircraft to
have bad fabric and cut out the N number saying it was not airworthy
anymore. The court said it was private property they destroyed and ruled
that the repair station pay the total cost for a new recover of the
aircraft. Their are a lot of parts out their, and now their could be a lot
of expired helicopter parts that could be presented as airworthy when they
are run out watch out who you buy from and tractability of parts.
"SelwayKid" wrote in message
om...
(John) wrote in message

. com...
[...]

http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/mo...2/episode_37.h
tml

Old December 2nd 04, 07:23 PM
SelwayKid

"brien" wrote in message nk.net...
Their was a time when Repair stations would cut or destroy in some way
unairworthy parts. Repair Stations are cautioned about destroying private
property.Case in point A repair station found a fabric covered aircraft to
have bad fabric and cut out the N number saying it was not airworthy
anymore. The court said it was private property they destroyed and ruled
that the repair station pay the total cost for a new recover of the
aircraft. Their are a lot of parts out their, and now their could be a lot
of expired helicopter parts that could be presented as airworthy when they
are run out watch out who you buy from and tractability of parts.

***************************************
Brien
I doubt any serious helicopter owner or operator will be scrounging
yellow tag parts in a bone yard to keep their machine aloft. However,
I know it happens and not just with helicopters. I'm speaking of time
life items and not just everything. I drove a truck that had a
salvaged altimeter and compass in it. The FAA never gave it a second
look! Never got that damned truck off the ground either no matter how
hard I tried...ggg
Cheers
Ol Shy & Bashful
"SelwayKid" wrote in message
om...

. com...

Old December 2nd 04, 11:41 PM
Jim

Try Faith Aircraft Salvage Near Bradshaw Rd. and Jakson Hwy (S-16) Should be
available from 411 information For Sacramento Ca. He usually has several
rollover specials on hands (R-22) but never has any big buck stuff like 206,
369 etc. He did have a H-269A two years ago that was drug in on a new
helicopter trailer he got for about Free and sold for 3k time that much!
Also check eBay search key word Helicopter and then left colume click
parts results. Anything on eBay is considered NON AIRWORTHY unless
absolute and complete part tracability and serial numbers are included. BBW
but parts are cheap (plus shipping) if you just need a wall hangar.

http://search.ebay.com/helicopter_Pa...ZC12QQsacatego
ryZ6028QQsocolumnlayoutZ3QQsomorecategoriesZ1QQsos ortorderZ2QQsosortproperty
Z3QQsotimedisplayZ1

om...

Old December 7th 04, 08:26 PM
John

I think i've found out what piece it was thanks to your help.

It looks to be a horizontal stabilizer off of one of the bell aircraft.

I was interested in it not to put on a helicopter, but to build a
computer desk. As in the tv show they turn in vertically which in turn
would make a nice table top. Possibly with a pice of glass cut to fit
it.

The reason i wanted it time expired is it would be of no use to a
helicopter any more, and i could possibly come across one for fairly
cheap. Still looking to obtain one though.

Thanks

Old December 10th 04, 05:19 AM
Colibri

John wrote:
I think i've found out what piece it was thanks to your help.

It looks to be a horizontal stabilizer off of one of the bell aircraft.

I was interested in it not to put on a helicopter, but to build a
computer desk. As in the tv show they turn in vertically which in turn
would make a nice table top. Possibly with a pice of glass cut to fit
it.

The reason i wanted it time expired is it would be of no use to a
helicopter any more, and i could possibly come across one for fairly
cheap. Still looking to obtain one though.

Thanks

Found one.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...0526 943&rd=1
No bids yet, and auction ends 16 hours from now. Maybe he'll relist it.