1000km Soaring Weather coming to NV CA SW U.S. - Fri-Sun 06/23-25

Old June 21st 06, 02:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default 1000km Soaring Weather coming to NV CA SW U.S. - Fri-Sun 06/23-25

Great soaring weather is coming this weekend (Fri-Sun 06/23 to 06/25
.... and a few days beyond) to the SW U.S. Deserts (CA, NV Mojave Owens
Valley).

Finally the 500mb Four Corners High will be building in providing a
light NE to SE flow into the Mojave Deserts and SW side of the Great
Basin regin. Later in the summer this can cause extensiv e Monsoon
moisture and thunderstorms. But this early in the season, CU fields
should be extensive with only a few aftern thunderstorms. Cloud bases
should be in the 16,000 to 18,000msl range (just like you guys in
Colorado/New Mexico have had for some time .

Watch out Colorado racing guys... Boulder... 5Z ... John Seaborn...
Bill Hill ... Albuquerque Soaring!

The California Racers will be having their fun!

Walt Rogers, WX - Discus 2A

Old June 21st 06, 05:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Friday and Saturday are toss up right now for the classic 1000km zig
zag or triangle from the Western Mojave Desert into SW NV... or for the
people flying out of Warner Springs.

Too early to say...

Walt, WX

Old June 22nd 06, 12:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Walt... what effect will the haze/smoke from the SoCal fires have?

Right now, it is 105F at 1630Lcl, and I was surprised, it was a rather
smooth descent today into LAS from the west. A few bumps as we entered the
haze/inversion layer at about 17KMSL, a few more bumps over RedRocks to the
west of the city, only 5K AGL or less crossing the ridge and not the normal
roughness one normally receives. Really a smooth ride around the valley
lining up for the runway.

Tonight's low is forecast as 77F in LAS and 66F in Pahrump, Sandy Valley and
Primm with 110F forecast high for Sat/Sun. We are currently under the dome
of High pressure, and as it moves east this weekend, the hotter temps from
the south will be pulled in with S to SW winds.

We'll be looking for all you SoCal cross-country racers to be landing at
Jean this weekend.

BT
LVVSA

ups.com...

Old June 22nd 06, 04:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

"WaltWX" wrote in message
Friday and Saturday are toss up right now for the classic 1000km zig
zag or triangle from the Western Mojave Desert into SW NV... or for the
people flying out of Warner Springs.

Too early to say...

Walt, WX

From the feel of the weather in Tehachapi today, I'd imagine a peak on

Saturday or Sunday.

Jim

Old June 22nd 06, 05:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

It's going to stay dry (blue) for Fri Sat in the NE corner of the Great
Basin. Very dry airmass but with thermals in Central NV probably to
24,000msl.

By Sun/Mon or beyond cloud bases may come down to 18,000-21,000msl

Walt

TTaylor at cc.usu.edu wrote:
WaltWX wrote:
Friday and Saturday are toss up right now for the classic 1000km zig
zag or triangle from the Western Mojave Desert into SW NV... or for the
people flying out of Warner Springs.

Too early to say...

Walt, WX

Walt,

What is the outlook for those of us on the NE corner of the basin? The
forecast is for hot this weekend, but we have not had cloud cover for
the last week. Yes we are all tired of seeing the 18 to 20 K heights
in CO and NM, except the pilots there of course.

Tim
Logan, UT

Old June 22nd 06, 05:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Saturday looks SPECTACULAR. I can't image it being any better...
except, perhaps, for some Cu to mark things. Sun Mon may have that ...
and will also be very good days.

Walt

JS wrote:

"WaltWX" wrote in message
Friday and Saturday are toss up right now for the classic 1000km zig
zag or triangle from the Western Mojave Desert into SW NV... or for the
people flying out of Warner Springs.

Too early to say...

Walt, WX

From the feel of the weather in Tehachapi today, I'd imagine a peak on

Saturday or Sunday.

Jim

Old June 22nd 06, 10:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

As of early afternoon Thursday, pre-monsoon moisture has made its way
north of Phoenix - further than models had originally predicted - and
current predictions for the weekend in Arizona are for a couple of 750
km days here, especially in the south.

Mike

JS wrote:

"WaltWX" wrote in message
Friday and Saturday are toss up right now for the classic 1000km zig
zag or triangle from the Western Mojave Desert into SW NV... or for the
people flying out of Warner Springs.

Too early to say...

Walt, WX

From the feel of the weather in Tehachapi today, I'd imagine a peak on

Saturday or Sunday.

Jim

Old June 25th 06, 07:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

HA! So much for our forecasts.

"Weather forecasts are like horoscopes with numbers"

Mike

JS wrote:

"WaltWX" wrote in message
Friday and Saturday are toss up right now for the classic 1000km zig
zag or triangle from the Western Mojave Desert into SW NV... or for the
people flying out of Warner Springs.

Too early to say...

Walt, WX

From the feel of the weather in Tehachapi today, I'd imagine a peak on
Saturday or Sunday.

Jim

Old June 28th 06, 07:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

So you'd prefer the Specialized Soaring Forecasters like Walt to return
to not sharing their predictions with us?

I for one spent many valuable kitchen passes to show up on the ramp at
Cal City in hopes of flying a 500k in my 1-26. Walt was even gracious
enough to give me cuts in the launch line to try and get airborne just
a little earlier. With more than double my L/D, Kevin Wayt flew 860
km, while I seem to have forgotten how to soar.

Thanks again, Walt...keep the forecasts coming -- it got me to change
my priorities for the weekend and go soar rather than just fly. And
thanks for giving me consideration in the line...I'm all the more sorry
for not capitalizing on it. I still had fun, and despite the fact that
I drove to Lone Pine (vs. Soaring there), the wife & daughter enjoyed
their special weekend.

Here's to the SSF's like Walt & Dan.

So Mike, when was the last time DUATS gave you a three-day headsup on
decent forecast conditions (right, wrong or indifferent)?

-Pete