Owens Valley Cell Provider? Was: Trouble Reaching...

Old January 9th 07, 06:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
309

Default Owens Valley Cell Provider? Was: Trouble Reaching...

For soaring (and crewing) in the Owens' Valley, what is the best cell
service provider (or recommended provider)?

Years ago, I picked AT&T since they reported had the best coverage in
the Owens' (back then). My old cell phones are now battered and in
need of replacement, and that usually means a new contract. So I'm
considering getting that "new contract" with a different provider,
mainly to get better service in the lowlands and on travel (Chicago,
D.C., Seattle, Moses Lake, Glasgow (MT), Vegas, Parhump, Parowan,
Aguila, etc.).

Consumer Reports did a survey and found that Verizon has the best
coverage in most urban areas, but alas, it doesn't look like they
surveyed the Owens Valley (from Mojave, Lone Pine, Bishop, Bridgeport
and on up into Reno...). Not that I'd call the Owens' urban...
Consumer Reports got really ticked off at Cingular and AT&T since the
AT&T victims really suffered service degradation (unless they upgraded
equipment -- and renewed the contract, of course).

My AT&T/Cingular phone usually worked well on the ramp at Cal City, for
what it's worth. My Sprint (work) cell phone didn't get beans for
reception there... The only time I had poor reception with AT&T was
when I landed out at Olancha...

I'd be particularly interested in what the Crystal Squadron has to
recommend, since they're usually just driving through...

Any recommendations on cell phone hardware would be appreciated,
especially hardware to avoid. I'd like to get a phone withOUT a
camera, since those aren't allowed at work...

Thanks,

-Pete

Old January 10th 07, 01:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper

I can't answer your questions. However, if you go with Verizon, be sure your
new phone is "tri-mode". Digital service does not work in most of Nevada
once you head a bit east of the populated areas. Analog phones (the other
part of tri-mode), are getting rarer.

I was able to get an analog/digital phone from Verizon recently (the LG
VX5300). Reasonably rate on-line, has camera and Bluetooth.

One of the reasons I can't answer your other questions is that the motorhome
I travel in has a wireless cellular amp by Digital Antenna. This acts like a
cell site and makes your phone transmit on low power to a small inside
antenna, conserving battery. The amp then retransmits from roof top gain
antenna, up to 3 watts. We were able to maintain cell service (analog) all
the way across Nevada Hwy 50 on a recent trip.

bumper

oups.com...

Old January 10th 07, 01:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jeremy Zawodny

bumper wrote:
I can't answer your questions. However, if you go with Verizon, be sure your
new phone is "tri-mode". Digital service does not work in most of Nevada
once you head a bit east of the populated areas. Analog phones (the other
part of tri-mode), are getting rarer.

I was able to get an analog/digital phone from Verizon recently (the LG
VX5300). Reasonably rate on-line, has camera and Bluetooth.

One of the reasons I can't answer your other questions is that the motorhome
I travel in has a wireless cellular amp by Digital Antenna. This acts like a
cell site and makes your phone transmit on low power to a small inside
antenna, conserving battery. The amp then retransmits from roof top gain
antenna, up to 3 watts. We were able to maintain cell service (analog) all
the way across Nevada Hwy 50 on a recent trip.

I'll second the recommendation for a tri-mode phone from Verizon. I've
been flying (and trailering my glider) with a Motorola V710 for a few
years now and *rarely* can't get a signal.

In fact, when I drove from Truckee to Parowan a couple years ago (on
highway 50), I made a point of checking every 20 minutes or so (there
wasn't much else to do!). I had a *digital* signal 90% of the time.
When I didn't, analog filled in the gap.

It's my personal belief that you can't beat the coverage provided by a
tri-mode phone from Verizon (in the USA, at least).

Jeremy
Old January 10th 07, 02:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
HL Falbaum

I had a Tri-mode phone from Verizon and was told by them (Atlanta GA) that
analog is soon to phase out. My all digital works well in the Southern
Boonies!
Anyone know when analog goes away?
--
Hartley Falbaum

Trouble Reaching Caracole? 309 Soaring 7 January 31st 07 12:12 PM
Cell phones on GA aircraft Mxsmanic Piloting 18 October 16th 06 08:12 PM
Planes & Cell phones Greg Copeland Piloting 52 June 10th 04 10:38 PM