Smithsonian museum at Dulles

Old May 30th 05, 01:53 AM
Jay Honeck

I do have to say that once you figure out the Metro it does work
nicely. They run frequently and seem to run on time. It is more
complicated than other city trains I've taken but it works.

We loved the Metro!

When we visited D.C. in 2000, we didn't rent a car, choosing to ride the
Metro every day instead, and were delighted to find that it was clean, fast,
and went right where we wanted to go. (You're right, though -- figuring out
the fare system seemed to be overly complex.)

Just be careful where you go. On our last day we were "out" of museums, so
we went looking for the Navy Museum, which we discovered was located in or
near a pretty scary part of town.

I knew something was up when the station we got off at appeared to be
brand-spanking new -- and completely empty. When we ventured up the stairs
to street level, we took one look around and decided to get back on the
train... But the subway system itself was wonderful.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 30th 05, 03:14 AM
George Patterson

Dan Luke wrote:

Perhaps it's the exaggerated impression of an out-of-towner, but aren't
half the streets, lanes, parkways and boulevards in Atlanta named
"Peachtree?"

No. There is exactly one Peachtree St. in Atlanta, GA. There are tons of other
streets with "Peachtree" in the name, but the only "Peachtree Street" is the
main drag that runs north from Five Points.

George Patterson
Why do men's hearts beat faster, knees get weak, throats become dry,
and they think irrationally when a woman wears leather clothing?
Because she smells like a new truck.
Old May 30th 05, 03:18 AM

Tell me about it. I visited Minneapolis a few years ago, and had some
real
fun trying to find my motel again after dark. The multiple "10s" naming
was
real confusing. I finally did it by remembering some landmarks (a water
tank and broadcast towers).

David Johnson

We had (Freeway) 118 pass by our airport for years - with an Airport Rd
exit.

They finally connected 118 to the "610 bridge" (Mississippi River) in 1998
after about 15 years of no construction. I said flip a coin for the final
name - I liked 118 because it was on my side of the river g, plus we
already have a 694 just south of us, so 610 might be confusing for some I
thought.

They decided on Hwy 10. This is a problem.

The "old" Hwy 10 is the first exit south off of I-35 from the "new" Hwy 10
...confusion.

They added to the confusion. They renamed the previous Hwy 10 ...County 10.

So now when you head north on I-35 out of Minneapolis, instead of exiting on
118 (or 610) you now have two choices of 10's to exit on - right next to
each other. Hwy 10 or Co. Rd 10.

We call them "New 10" and "Old 10" but MN-DOT won't put that on the signs!!!

Oh well.

Montblack

Old May 30th 05, 11:38 AM
Cub Driver

On 29 May 2005 05:38:57 -0700, "Robert M. Gary"
wrote:

Maybe its worse with M.S streets since it only seems to show the
federal name.

I was driving home with GPS guidance last fall (Garmin 286) and was
astonished to find NH 108 identified as New Hampshire College Highway.
I have lived in this area since 1950 and never heard it called that.
(NH College became UNH in 1928

-- all the best, Dan Ford

email (put Cubdriver in subject line)

Warbird's Forum:
www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum: www.pipercubforum.com
the blog: www.danford.net
In Search of Lost Time: www.readingproust.com
Old May 30th 05, 11:42 AM
Cub Driver

On Mon, 30 May 2005 00:53:46 GMT, "Jay Honeck"
wrote:

We loved the Metro!

When we visited D.C. in 2000, we didn't rent a car,

Everyone in DC rides the Metro. It is brilliantly designed, fast,
reasonably priced, and safe. I have ridden it from Greenbelt in the
north to Vienna in the southwest, from 7 a.m. to midnight, and I've
never felt a qualm.

There are no cops on the Metro, and no muggers either, and almost no
vagrants. It is rarely crowded. It may well be the best public
transport system in the world.

Old May 30th 05, 11:44 AM
Cub Driver

On 29 May 2005 05:33:18 -0700, "Robert M. Gary"
wrote:

The $7 bus ride math works differently
for me because I have to multiply everything by 4.

I think kids are half price. Evidently the fare is now $8, so it would
be $24 (I think). And for that you get to visit NASM next day

Of course, hotels are pricey in DC now, and everywhere. It takes a lot
of work to find a room under $200 a night. (Weekends are closer to
$100, but never reach it

Old May 30th 05, 01:52 PM
Robert M. Gary

The gate itself was actually closed. The exit gate was open and I was
inclined to go in through the out door but my wife was there and I knew
I'd hear about it for years.

-Robert

Old May 30th 05, 01:55 PM
Jay Honeck

There are no cops on the Metro, and no muggers either, and almost no
vagrants. It is rarely crowded. It may well be the best public
transport system in the world.

Really? No cops -- in one of the highest-crime cities in America? I seem
to remember seeing quite a bunch of police officers in the station, but none
on the trains themselves...

And you're right -- I don't remember seeing any pan-handlers.

How has D.C. managed to create such a great system? What's the secret?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 30th 05, 03:50 PM
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Cub Driver wrote:
Everyone in DC rides the Metro. It is brilliantly designed, fast,
reasonably priced, and safe. I have ridden it from Greenbelt in the
north to Vienna in the southwest, from 7 a.m. to midnight, and I've
never felt a qualm.

There are no cops on the Metro, and no muggers either, and almost no
vagrants. It is rarely crowded. It may well be the best public
transport system in the world.

That is absolutely correct. I was up in the DC area last month and my father
and I used it to ride from Falls Church into the District so we could visit the
Vietnam and Korean War Memorials. Everybody on the Metro looked like they
either worked for the government, a restaurant, or were touring like me. There
were no low lifes, no panhandlers in the stations, no graffiti, no cops and no
bad guys that I noticed. I felt completely at ease.

The only negative was trying to figure out how to work the ticket machines. I'd
learned in the past you *never* want to pay with a $20 bill. They claim the
Metro will send you a refund check within 10 days but it was more like 7 weeks.
Carry ones and fives and you can cover any contingency.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Old May 30th 05, 03:52 PM
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Robert M. Gary wrote:
The gate itself was actually closed. The exit gate was open and I was
inclined to go in through the out door but my wife was there and I knew
I'd hear about it for years.

Years? If you're married to a woman it's more likely to be for the rest of your
life. Don't ask me how I know this.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE