What essentials do you always have on board?

Old November 8th 06, 06:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Roger (K8RI)

Default What essentials do you always have on board?

On Sat, 04 Nov 2006 13:58:29 GMT, john smith wrote:

In article ,
"Roger (K8RI)" wrote:

Good Lord! How many hours do you fly at a time. I limit the legs to
around five hours so that's never been a problem...and don't drink a
lot of what ever before starting out.

Which leads to serious dehydration and potential mental impairment.

That was before heading out. "Sipping" on a soft drink or plain water
while in the air works fine. Coffee and particularly tea are
diauretics and tend to cause your system to *flush* out requiring a
premature ..er... stop. OTOH anything with an artificial sweetner will
probably have me stopping at the next closest ariport ..right after
taking off and I'll probably be in there the rest of the day. That
stuff works bettern' Epson salts. Just remember the "milk shake" in
VanWilder! Don't cough or sneeze.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Old November 8th 06, 07:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Grumman-581[_4_]

wrote:
I am so very thankful I live in New Zealand.

http://www.nickscipio.com/funstuff/a...datenight.html

Old November 8th 06, 07:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Grumman-581[_3_]

"LWG" wrote in message
. ..
The people of Florida would probably appreciate your travel there more
frequently. I think they have a few more of the predatory class left.

The nice thing about Florida is that they have plenty of gators for body
disposal...

http://grumman581.googlepages.com/gators-gotta-eat-too

Old November 9th 06, 07:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
David Dyer-Bennet

Sylvain wrote:
Grumman-581 wrote:

Interesting technique... Wouldn't work for me though... First thing I do
after putting my luggage in my rental car is transfer my .45 from my
luggage to my fanny pack or whatever concealed type holster I might be
using... If it's convenient, I'll even do it at the airport before I get
the rental car...

ok, I know this is getting quite a bit OT, but I am curious: who
issues carry permits (counties? states? I thought it was the county)
and can you still carry when leaving this jurisdiction?

They're nearly all governed by state law. Generally the permit is
mandated and requirements set and forms standardized at the state level,
and the actual approval process is at the local level (city or county).

Generally, the permit is valid throughout the state it's for, although I
think there are a couple of exceptions in a couple of states. (Um,
there are often specific places which are all prohibited, like the
secure zone at airports for example; by "throughout" I just mean that
there aren't entire cities that are different -- usually.)

And then most states have at least some kind of reciprocity with some
other states. I've carried in KY and TN on my MN permit, entirely
legally (I have to conform to the laws of the state I'm actually in, and
it's my responsibility to find out what those are; in addition to
research, I was with local permit-holders).

Then there are out-of-state permits; if I traveled to Florida regularly
I'd get a Florida permit, and as another poster recently mentioned,
transfer my gun from my luggage to my holster when I got in the rental
car, or even back in the airport terminal (generally a permit-holder is
legal carrying in the *non-secure* portions of even major commercial
airports). Florida also happens to be the most widely accepted permit;
a Florida permit would let me carry in a bunch of states I can't carry
in now; but I essentially never visit any of them.

As you may have noticed, lots of this is a matter of state law. And
ignorance is no excuse.

And let us not forget Vermont and Alaska, which have no requirement for
permits to carry. If you can legally own the gun, you can legally carry
it. Seems like a civilized arrangement to me.