New 7 part personal soaring movie in Utah

Old March 30th 05, 11:34 PM
Shawn

Malcolm Austin wrote:
"Nyal Williams" wrote in message

At 14:00 30 March 2005, wrote:

I like very much watching at soaring videos. Expecially
those which do
"not" add music.
Unfortunately, between the 47 movies I could download

from Internet

(not many because my modem isn't that fast), only 2
have really
natural sound.
If I could suggest to a friend how to edit his new
movies, I would say
"Please, don't add music. Let us enjoy the same real
sound of air and
wind that you loved when you were up there".
In my opinion, the natural sound of air around the
glider is one of
the most fascinating sounds in the universe.
I didn't try to download your videos yet. I shall try
this nights.
Thankyou for sharing your wonderful gliding experiences.
Happy thermals!

Roberto Ciuffoletti

I agree so strongly that I will hardly look at one
anymore. I have 50years in the classical music field;
I cannot endure the current popular music, that travels
under the useless term 'Rock Music.' My own tastes
dictate that the Debussy String Quartet would best
fit soaring movies and that 'Rock' would best fit NASCAR
races, but I know from experience that not many outside
my field would agree with me.

Leave it out unless you can compose music to fit precisely
the actual movement, just like a film music composer.

[These comments directed at no one in particular}

Hi Nyal,
I would personally add Enya to the list of music

makes who
fit in well with
soaring flight. Others I note mention John Williams & Morricone and I
cannot disagreee
with this.

My only preference is that if back ground music is used, enough of

the main
audio remains
to understand what the pilot is going through.

Am I the only one who gets a thrill when I hear the audio vario chirping
away in the "up" mode,
I wonder?

Maybe no music would be better after all...
:-)

Shawn
Old March 31st 05, 12:25 AM

I've thought for some time that it would be great if someone who is
good at video editing (not me) would offer to put together a soaring
DVD from footage donated by various pilots. (I have some I'd offer.)
The DVD could then be circulated and copied freely to help

a) encourage new people to enter the sport -- having a brief tutorial
on soaring would help here, like "how do you get home when the winds
stops?" "how dangerous is it?" etc.

b) keep glider pilots sane during their off season.

Any takers??

The reason for putting it on DVD and making it freely copyable, rather
than posting on the web, is the time delay for the downloader and the
cost for the provider. Last I looked web hosting services allowed about
1 GB per dollar per month of downloads before a surcharge set in. So a
5 GB DVD would cost the provider $5 per download! Not a great way to
get takers. But blank DVDs go for about a buck these days and the cost
would be borne by a large number of us, rather than just one person. I
can't figure out why (OK, let me change that to "I'm a bit unhappy
that") the SSA hasn't done something like this, as opposed to charging
fairly high prices for their soaring DVDs.

Martin

Old March 31st 05, 01:24 AM

Hi Bruno, Nyal and everbody
Wonderful!
I have just downloaded the movie n° 3 and I found exactly what I
hoped: full air noise, with vario and actual pilot voice.
A wonderful movie! I almost couldn’t breath, for this deep feeling of
beeing really there meeting dynamic slope air and manouvering to gain
height.
I shall download all. One of my very best findings.
Thankyou and happy thermals!

Roberto Ciuffoletti

Old March 31st 05, 08:06 AM
M B

Freebird. Definitely freebird.

At 21:30 30 March 2005, Malcolm Austin wrote:
Hi Nyal,
I would personally add Enya to the
list of music makes who
fit in well with
soaring flight. Others I note mention John Williams
& Morricone and I
cannot disagreee
with this.

My only preference is that if back ground music is
used, enough of the main
audio remains
to understand what the pilot is going through.

Am I the only one who gets a thrill when I hear the
audio vario chirping
away in the 'up' mode,
I wonder?

Malcolm...

At 14:00 30 March 2005, wrote:

[...]

Mark J. Boyd

Old March 31st 05, 07:55 PM
Nyal Williams

At 19:30 30 March 2005, Bruce wrote:
Nyal Williams wrote:
At 14:00 30 March 2005, wrote:

[...]

Hey Nyal

Personal vote would go the way of Handel or Purcel
or Telleman but there's space
for all of us.

My tastes are eclectic, but I have to say there appears
to be relatively little
musical merit in much of the currently popular auditory
drivel.

One bright spot - Enio Morricone and John Williams
(probably others too-but
these two stand out) are introducing a new generation
to some music that is not
composed by someone who died before your parents were
born - that has musical
merit.

I don't know Morricone, but John Williams doesn't stand
out as a giant in my book. I want a balance of intellectual
and emotional involvement. Something about half-way
between Schoenberg and Little Richard.

But the main thing about these videos with music underlay
is that the music doesn't fit - regardless of style.
It ought to be like a ballet or movie music. Just
laying down a piece of music under a video is a little
bit like putting pickles in icecream just because you
like both, or like putting a 42 long jacket on a short
38size man. Doesn't fit and doesn't support the video.
It is multi-tasking at best; at worst, one gets in
the way of the other.

Old March 31st 05, 09:42 PM
Bruce

Nyal Williams wrote:
At 19:30 30 March 2005, Bruce wrote:

Nyal Williams wrote:

SNIP
But the main thing about these videos with music underlay
is that the music doesn't fit - regardless of style.
It ought to be like a ballet or movie music. Just
laying down a piece of music under a video is a little
bit like putting pickles in icecream just because you
like both, or like putting a 42 long jacket on a short
38size man. Doesn't fit and doesn't support the video.
It is multi-tasking at best; at worst, one gets in
the way of the other.

Indeed - The music has to sort of fit the action. Personally I prefer to listen
to my music when not flying gliders, and visa vrsa.

Mr Morricone composed the music for numerous films (mainly westerns like "The
Good the bad ad the ugly")but also the score for "The Mission" featuring a
rather beautiful piece called "Gabreil's Oboe"

Would go well with some parts of soaring. But better on the big screen...

You probably would recognise it - if not the composer.
Old March 31st 05, 10:54 PM
Malcolm Austin

Hi Bruce,
we are lucky here in the UK with one radio station (Classic
FM) who during the 1200 to 1400 stint have listeners requests. They not
only give the names (people ask for the Mission theme, not knowing the real
name) but later on you can pick it up on their web page.

My knowledge of classic music has come on greatly since they arrived on the
scene. The are also happy to play less "high brow" music so even more of the
film stuff makes it through. (can' beat Michael Kamen's theme to the Band
of Brothers for a sad bit)

They have a web presence and often get lunch time requests from our old
"colony" !!!

Cheers, Malcolm...

"Bruce" wrote in message
Nyal Williams wrote:
At 19:30 30 March 2005, Bruce wrote:

SNIP

Old March 31st 05, 11:19 PM

Having skied the Wasatch range may times, I can appreciate the
scenery. I always wondered what it would look like from a glider. Now I
know, sort of. Awesome video. Were these exceptional conditions or more
routine? Between the snow and that kind of soaring its enough to make
one seriously think about re-locating.

Mike F

Old April 1st 05, 02:53 PM
Ronald

More video's may be found at:

http://www.alpenstreckenflug.de/text...dingvideos.htm

http://www.wavecamp.no

http://irene.vanderzwan.org is currently looking for a host for the video's
-wavecamp 2003
-heroes
-elevator
-longmynd bungee camp
-dutch nationals and
-dune-running

Ronald
Old April 1st 05, 04:20 PM
Bruce

"Bruce" wrote in message

Nyal Williams wrote:

At 19:30 30 March 2005, Bruce wrote:

Nyal Williams wrote:

SNIP

[...]

Hi Malcolm

Classic FM gets requests from the "old colony" because they are based in
Johannesburg - Braamfontein on the corner of Jan Smuts and Jorissen streets.

Great improvement in the selection of stations to listen to since they came
along. One of our members used to do an investment talk show which has now moved
to other stations because of ownership changes at Classic FM. On one notable
occasion we had to remind him that he was supposed to be on air 100km away and
5,000" lower in half an hour.... The interview was conduced over a mobile phone
in the end.

Cheers
Bruce