Newbie Question, really: That first flight

Old September 16th 04, 05:48 PM
Cecil Chapman

Default Newbie Question, really: That first flight

A question I've always wanted to ask homebuilders is based on how I can see
one could go through the process of building through lots of hard work and
dedication - but how do you get yourself to do that first flight? I would
think a thousand questions would fill one's mind (ex: did I tighten or
overtighten that blank, are the rivets going to hold,,,, etc.).

How does one safely test an 'unknown'..... just curious.....

=-----
Good Flights!

Cecil
PP-ASEL-IA
Student - CP-ASEL

Check out my personal flying adventures from my first flight to the
checkride AND the continuing adventures beyond!
Complete with pictures and text at: www.bayareapilot.com

- Antoine de Saint-Exupery -

"We who fly, do so for the love of flying. We are alive in the air with
this miracle that lies in our hands and beneath our feet"
- Cecil Day Lewis -

Old September 16th 04, 07:45 PM
Corky Scott

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 16:48:24 GMT, "Cecil Chapman"
wrote:

A question I've always wanted to ask homebuilders is based on how I can see
one could go through the process of building through lots of hard work and
dedication - but how do you get yourself to do that first flight? I would
think a thousand questions would fill one's mind (ex: did I tighten or
overtighten that blank, are the rivets going to hold,,,, etc.).

How does one safely test an 'unknown'..... just curious.....

The answer is really quite simple, you don't.

Really, if you think you are going to be all a-quiver with emotions
and questions while attempting to pilot the airplane during the
momentous first flight, maybe you should hire someone who doesn't have
so much emotion and time invested in the airplane.

You should be aware, if you aren't already, that the first flight is
deadly, statistically speaking. It's the single most deadly flight
you'll ever take. There are many reasons for this: The pilot may not
have current skills (because he's been building and not flying), the
pilot may be low time, the pilot may not have any flight training in
type, the airplane may have a performance greater than the pilot is
used to, the engine may not have run for a long time, the engine
installation may include non aviation type fasteners and tubing, the
engine installation may be a non certified type, the engine may not
have been tested at full power for a time equal to takeoff and climb,
the airplane may not have been built to plans, the airplane may not
have an improper center of gravity. Or the situation may include ALL
of the above.

If your situation includes one or two of the above, or more, you might
ask youself what it is you are trying to prove by being the one to
take that first flight.

Corky (as you can see I've thought about this a lot) Scott

Old September 16th 04, 07:55 PM
Corky Scott

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 14:45:56 -0400, Corky Scott
wrote:

the airplane may not
have an improper center of gravity.

Sorry, this of course was supposed to read: The airplane my have an
improper center of gravity.

Corky Scott
Old September 16th 04, 08:39 PM
James M. Knox

"Cecil Chapman" wrote in
. com:

A question I've always wanted to ask homebuilders is based on how I
can see one could go through the process of building through lots of
hard work and dedication - but how do you get yourself to do that
first flight? I would think a thousand questions would fill one's
mind (ex: did I tighten or overtighten that blank, are the rivets
going to hold,,,, etc.).

How does one safely test an 'unknown'..... just curious.....

Sounds like a wedding night. G

Seriously, remember that you don't just "take to the sky" the minute the
last rivet is set. By the time you have the thing built a lot of pieces
have been assembled and disassembled and reassembled, and you are
probably (certainly should be) VERY familiar with pretty much every
piece of that plane.

There are test runs of the engine. Even taxi tests. Leak checks are
performed. And everything SHOULD be rechecked for proper torque.

Rules vary from country to country (some require stage checks), but in
the US there is a final exam that must be passed. An examiner goes over
the plane (hopefully with a fine tooth comb) for anything that does not
look save and conform to safety standards. Only then do you get a
certificate to go flying.

The first flight itself is interesting. There are books and tapes (and
not all agree) on how to do it. Test hops (just a couple of feet in the
air) can be made. But usually once you do commit to flight, you go fly.
The plane is climbed to a safe altitude (about as high as practical) and
a series of test maneuvers is made to verify things like stall speed and
wing drop -- things you probably need to know before trying to land. G

Yes, mistakes do happen, but considering the number of safe "first
flights" taken by experimental aircraft every year, aircraft built often
by first-time builders, the success rate is IMHO amazing.

jmk
Old September 16th 04, 10:41 PM
W P Dixon

Well I wonder if someone has to question there own ability as a mechanic
should even attempt to build something that their life will depend on being
right.
I think it is always a great idea to have some "inspectors" that know
aircraft very well to check your work from time to time. Sometimes we ALL
can miss something. But you really need self confidence in your work ability
to even start.
"James M. Knox" wrote in message
2...
"Cecil Chapman" wrote in
. com:

Old September 16th 04, 11:32 PM
Rich S.

"Del Rawlins" wrote in message

Why then, must the aircraft be placarded with a passenger warning that
states that it does NOT conform to federal safety standards? Yeah,
I'm playing devil's advocate to an extent, but it was my understanding
that if you are bound and determined to ignore standard practices,
that they still have to give you an experimental amateur built C of A
if you meet the requirements for it (paperwork, markings, 51%, etc).
They may cripple you with lousy operating limitations, but they have
to give you the certicate of airworthiness.

Comments?

Have to go along with you 100% on that one, Del. The inspector that checked
out my Emeraude couldn't find his ass with both hands. The *only* things he
was interested in - or knew how to check were those that you mentioned. As
far as airplane expertise? He failed to notice (for example) that none of my
control cable turnbuckles were safetied. I knew that I was going to
disassemble and reassemble it again before going flying - but he didn't. He
did even ask. All he wanted to see were the numbers for his record.

Rich "You get what you pay for - excluding your taxes" S.

Old September 17th 04, 12:40 AM
Del Rawlins

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 14:39:22 -0500, "James M. Knox"

[...]

Del Rawlins--
Unofficial Bearhawk FAQ website:
http://www.rawlinsbrothers.org/bhfaq/
Remove _kills_spammers_ to reply
Old September 17th 04, 12:56 AM
W P Dixon

Yep!
That's another reason to have a good group of aircraft related friends,
though not the rule or necessary by the FAA's standards always having those
extra eyes from others can help alot.
As for the inspector ..so true! I know alot of aeronautical engineers
that only know how to read something out of a book too! HAHAHA All goes bad
to what I was saying, you have to have confidence in your own ability.
Hopefully have those "extra eyes"....and if it feels good ...let's fly!

Old September 17th 04, 01:18 AM
Richard Lamb

Cecil Chapman wrote:

A question I've always wanted to ask homebuilders is based on how I can see
one could go through the process of building through lots of hard work and
dedication - but how do you get yourself to do that first flight? I would
think a thousand questions would fill one's mind (ex: did I tighten or
overtighten that blank, are the rivets going to hold,,,, etc.).

How does one safely test an 'unknown'..... just curious.....

=-----
Good Flights!

Cecil
PP-ASEL-IA
Student - CP-ASEL

Reduce the number of unknowns to a bare minimum.

First on the list is a valid weight and balance.

It's arguably THE most important question of the lot,
and is too often glossed over with a guess.

After that, it's mostly, "Is the engine going to run?"
Will it run at a high pitch angle (as when climbing)

Are the controls hooked up correctly - for certain?

And, if you are going to fly it yourself, get some
current time in a similar type of aircraft.
Old September 17th 04, 01:39 AM
RobertR237

A question I've always wanted to ask homebuilders is based on how I can see
one could go through the process of building through lots of hard work and
dedication - but how do you get yourself to do that first flight? I would
think a thousand questions would fill one's mind (ex: did I tighten or
overtighten that blank, are the rivets going to hold,,,, etc.).

How does one safely test an 'unknown'..... just curious.....

=-----
Good Flights!

Cecil
PP-ASEL-IA
Student - CP-ASEL

A wise builder will have check, re-checked, and checked it all again but will
then hire a professional test pilot for the first flight. The logical reasons
for doing this are many. The professional test pilot is going to be very
logical and methodical in the flight test program. They will be less excited,
more tuned into how the aircraft flies, more qualified to handle the
unexpected, and last but not least they will be less likely to sacrifice their
life trying to save the plane.

After that first flight, you have a plan that allows you, the pilot, to become
accustomed to the aircraft as you methodically expand the flight envelope and
test the aircraft. The flight test plan should be written and plan each flight
and what the flight should test and what results should be expected. Those
first 25-40 hours are not pleasure flights, they are work and should be planned
as such. Enjoy the flight but understand their purpose.

Bob Reed

"Ladies and Gentlemen, take my advice,
(M.A.S.H. Sidney Freedman)