3rd Class Medical in Florida Question…

Old October 27th 03, 01:54 PM
Bob

Default 3rd Class Medical in Florida Question…

I recently started by Private Pilot training in Daytona Beach and love
it. I actually never thought I would do as well as I'm doing and my
instructor is hounding me about getting my medical as he things I
should be read to solo very soon.

First I'll admit it, I HATE DOCTORS!… What all is involved in a 3rd
class medical? Do they do anything as advanced as any blood tests?
Sorry I can't do needles and if that means not flying then that is
it….

Next if there is no need for needles then how does one find a doctor
who "does as little as possible". I've heard stories where some
doctors really don't like pilots and put them through hell while other
doctors pretty much fill out the paperwork, do a sight and ear test
and that's about it…how do I go about finding one of these?

Bob
Old October 27th 03, 01:59 PM
Ron Natalie

"Bob" wrote in message om...

First I'll admit it, I HATE DOCTORS!. What all is involved in a 3rd
class medical? Do they do anything as advanced as any blood tests?
Sorry I can't do needles and if that means not flying then that is
it..

The most invasive thing they do is dip your urine for protein/sugar.
The bulk of the physical is filling out the medical history form (you can find
copies on AOPA's web site if you are a member as well as other places).
The rest of the test involves the eye test (near and distant vision, color
blindnes), a rudimentary hearing test (the doctor will speak to you from a
position where you can't read his lips), and the general pokes and prods
that they do to justify calling it an examination.

Next if there is no need for needles then how does one find a doctor
who "does as little as possible".

Ask around local pilots. I'm not so much worried about how much the
doc examines me, I'm more concerned about his attitude. I've had some
that are absolute slugs when it comes to bedside manner. I actually had
to argue with one over just want the vision requirements were for the third
class at the time.

Old October 27th 03, 02:11 PM
Robert Borucki

First of all, CALM DOWN. I am an AME and do this because I love aviation.
We don't make much $$ doing these... I just do it so I can interact with
more pilots... your experience, if you allow it, will be pleasant and very
non-invasive. There are no blood tests required... simply a urinalysis and
an examination.

Bob Borucki

Old October 27th 03, 04:39 PM
Dave

Grow up - if you aim to be a pilot then you are going to have to things you
wont like.

Dave

Old October 27th 03, 05:17 PM
GeorgeF

Dave wrote:
Grow up - if you aim to be a pilot then you are going to have to things you
wont like.

Dave

Dave, you must be a hell of person to live with, I feel sorry for your
wife. Bob asked a question which I hear everyday at the airport, in
fact if you talk to students there are many with the same fear of
doctors as Bob has. But to tell him to "grow up" was uncalled for.
Dave, keep your big mouth shut if you don't have something to offer.

Bob, don't feel back you're not alone. However you are more worried
than you need to be. As others kindly pointed out there really isn't
much to a 3rd class medical. Fill out a form, pee in a jar, look at an
eye chart, and listen for a sound (hearing test). Then the final step
is to fork over $50-$100 depending on the doctor...

I just hate it when someone asks a simple question but gets a smartassed
answer. Dave, if you were speaking person to person with someone asking
the same question would you tell them to "grow up"? Probably not, if
you did you would have no teeth left.

George
http://www.MilAirComms.com

Old October 27th 03, 05:22 PM
Katherine Rawlins

I once believed there was no chance I could ever wear contact lenses,
because the very thought of sticking my finger in my own eye made me
squeamish to the point of abject terror.

Then one day I got offered the opportunity to do something I really
wanted to do: a job for a year in Antarctica. "Glasses will fog up in
seconds," they told me. "You'll want contacts."

So what happened? Well, I learned how to stick my finger in my own eye.
It was simply a matter of wanting something badly enough to go through
with it.

I'm sure your medical will go just fine. But remember that people CAN
do things they might think they CAN'T, when they need to, or when it's
for something that is truly worth it.

--Kath

Old October 27th 03, 06:03 PM
Gig Giacona

"Bob" wrote in message
om...

First I'll admit it, I HATE DOCTORS!. What all is involved in a 3rd
class medical? Do they do anything as advanced as any blood tests?
Sorry I can't do needles and if that means not flying then that is
it..

What is it about needles that scares you enough that you would give up
flying?

Is it the sight of blood? If so what would you do if while flying along
after you've gotten you certificate and you cut yourself on a exposed piece
of metal in the aircraft?

Old October 27th 03, 06:32 PM
Pat

Dave, you must be a hell of person to live with, I feel sorry for your
wife. Bob asked a question which I hear everyday at the airport, in
fact if you talk to students there are many with the same fear of
doctors as Bob has. But to tell him to "grow up" was uncalled for.
Dave, keep your big mouth shut if you don't have something to offer.

Dave's answer was right on. If the OP is such a pussy about little things
like going to see a doctor or getting a shot in the arm, he ought to find
another sport. Whether a 3rd class medical needs a shot isn't the point,
pun intended. He would rather not fly that deal with a needle ? Oh please.

Old October 27th 03, 07:12 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Bob wrote:

First I'll admit it, I HATE DOCTORS!… What all is involved in a 3rd
class medical?

They ask a bunch of questions, most starting with "have you ever...". If the
answer to one of these is "yes" and there's any chance at all that the FAA will
find that out, answer "yes". Then they test your eyes (vision chart & color
blindness graphics), test reflexes, test hearing ("can you hear me now?"), test
blood pressure and ask you to pee in a cup.

Do they do anything as advanced as any blood tests?

Nope.

Sorry I can't do needles ....

I'm the same way. At least, I was until I developed some nasty allergies to some
things that are common in New Jersey. I finally decided that the shots were less
painful than my sinuses. Anyway, don't worry about it; they won't come at you
with any needles.

As for finding a doctor, you might ask the people at your flight school for
recommendations. They have a vested interest in finding you a doc who will pass
you!

George Patterson
You can dress a hog in a tuxedo, but he still wants to roll in the mud.
Old October 27th 03, 07:45 PM
Brad Z

Go easy on him, folks. I've met quite a few instrument students who were
afraid of needles...