USA Glider Experimental Airworthiness Certificate

Old April 15th 06, 12:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default USA Glider Experimental Airworthiness Certificate

Well, now I've done it. I've changed the tail number of my glider, and
I'm in the process of getting a new experimental airworthiness
certificate. My glider currently is certified as: "Experimental:
Exhibition and Air Racing." The DAR (FAA Designated Airworthiness
Representative) says that I am required to submit a "Program Letter" to
the FAA annually detailing where I will the glider will be based, when
and where I will be racing, and every other place I intend to fly it.
Does everybody need to do this?!

To those of you who have an Experimental Certificate, do you have it
liscensed under Exhibition and Air Racing or something else? Do you
need to submit an annual Program Letter to the FAA? Any advice you
have will be a great help!

Thanks, and safe soaring!
Chris 'CF'

Old April 15th 06, 12:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Why did you change your tail number?

The program letter requirement is standard for exp certs issued in the
last 10 or 15 years. Those of us lucky enough to have older certs
don't have this little annoyance.

Old April 15th 06, 01:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

charlie foxtrot wrote:
To those of you who have an Experimental Certificate, do you have it
liscensed under Exhibition and Air Racing or something else? Do you
need to submit an annual Program Letter to the FAA? Any advice you
have will be a great help!

Some FSDOs are known to be a bit more flexible in their interpretation
of the various advisory circulars that determine exactly what is
required of the owner of an aircraft with an experimental aircraft. I
have obtained operating limitations in recent years that only required a
new program letter when I wanted to make changes in my "program". Given
that my program letters explicitly listed just about every soaring site
in California and Nevada as a "home base" for proficiency flying, and
that my limitations also allowed me to practice for, or participate in,
SSA sanctioned contests and FAI badge/diploma flights anywhere in the
continental US, there was never any need for changes.

My suggestion is that you ask around locally, and find out which FSDOs
will deal with you as if you're flying a MiG-21, and which are a bit
more reasonable with gliders. If possible, obtain copies of liberal
operating limitations and program letters that were accepted by a local
FSDO in the recent past, and ask if you can get the same. Also
understand that the DARs apparently have less flexibility in this regard
than the FAA...

Marc
Old April 15th 06, 01:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

When your DAR issues your Special Airworthiness Certificate, it will
have your operating limitations attached. Para 37 will be the
requirement for the annual program letter and amendments. The program
letter only takes effect after Phase I compliance with 91.319(b) and
the appropriate logbook entry. Section 10 of FAA Order 8130.2F w/chg 1
establishes the Experimental Exhibition and Air Racing Special
Airworthiness Certification Operating Limitations. You can read or
download a copy from http://tinyurl.com/8fxtg FWIW, Denver FSDO now
has a 'form' program letter. Just fill in the blanks.

If the glider is not amateur-built, Exhibition and Air Racing is really
the only other useful category. Light Sport Aircraft is too
restrictive for soaring, though a few gliders could fit. Gliders are
Group I and don't fit in a lot of other categories.

Program letters can be amended in writing, including FAX, a minimum of
24 hours before operating. What's not entirely clear regarding program
letters is cancellation of events. Say you include that you are flying
in Region X Sports Class from July 15th - July 25th at ABC airport.
You decide not to go or the competition is cancelled. So, July 20th
you are flying at your home base of opertions. Are you required to
amend your program letter to drop the cancelled comp? Sample program
letters would indicate yes. In practice, I doubt many in the soaring
community actually cancel.

Exhibition and Air Racing also involves flights to gain and maintain
proficiency. That's a lifetime of soaring to most of us.

Frank Whiteley

Old April 15th 06, 05:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Chris:
The program letter is normal. I echo Marc's comments. Also adding
that your local FSDO would prefer that it is registered with them, not
the FSDO near to whoever first registered the aircraft.
Below is my program letter, filed once at the time I got a new EXP
certificate. It included a color photograph and 3-view drawing of the
glider, which the airworthiness officer at my FSDO asked for. The
program letter is of the KISS variety.
My local FSDO has some great people. I understand they're not all as
pilot-friendly elsewhere. And most DARs seem to be more strict with
rule interpretation.
The reason for changing my certificate was that the specified FSDO to
receive an annual program letter no longer existed.
Jim

This aircraft is to be flown for exhibition, racing, and for
accomplishment of FAI and SSA badges, awards, and diplomas.
Flights shall be made throughout the United States.
An estimate (from prior years) of approximately forty flights and one
hundred hours per year shall be flown. This includes proficiency
flights.
Attached is a 3-view drawing from the flight manual.

Canadian PPL transition to USA Jase Vanover Piloting 3 November 27th 05 01:44 AM
Newbie question: staying calmly behind glider tug [email protected] Soaring 21 September 15th 05 08:19 PM
Bad publicity David Starer Soaring 18 March 8th 04 03:57 PM
I wish I'd never got into this... Kevin Neave Soaring 32 September 19th 03 12:18 PM
Airworthiness certification of an experimental Ace Pilot Home Built 0 July 16th 03 03:26 PM