Arrogant-bordering on belligerent-owners (was:GAMIjectors)

Old September 11th 07, 12:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Arrogant-bordering on belligerent-owners (was:GAMIjectors)

On Sep 9, 10:16 pm, Jay Honeck wrote:
I have met too many A&Ps that I don't want anywhere near my airplane. How
about you? And some arrogant ones too. Just because they they know
how to work on them, they think they are engineers. Never opened a
genuine engineering textbook in their lives, but they'll make big fun of you
for stating even the most basic of facts that any undergraduate
enginneering student would easily know. And you can't even give them
references where they can check it out for themselves. They just
ignore you and go on arguing. They have their intuitions and don't
need you telling them anything.

This is very true. Even my A&P, who is a great friend and mentor to
me, occasionally betrays this trait. I suppose it comes from decades
of experience working with owners who think they know everything?

I'm no engineer, but my A&P used to go absolutely nuts when I would
research a problem on-line before taking it to him. I innocently
figured it was best to get some good input from you guys (and others)
for him to work with BEFORE ripping into the plane, but he would just
go on and on about "Getting your information from those internet
people" -- as if it was like hanging out with unwashed homeless people
or sumpin'...

;-)

Now, after many years (and seeing that, on occasion, I was able to
point him in the right direction with an aircraft problem) he is much
more accepting of this sort of input -- but I suspect he still
privately makes fun of it...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

I have had similar dealings with some of my mechanics. Often they have
experience that you can't get in a textbook. Knowledge isn't found
only from a book. I certainly don;t mean to imply that mechanics and
owners are the only arrogant people you find. Some of the most
arrogant people I have met have been engineers. You know, the ones
that think they know everything because they've been to college.
Toecutter and Dan have always seemed to share good experience with
other owners here. I have always valued their inputs to the group. Sad
to see the occasional fight over really a difference of opinion.
Matt has used LOP for a while with excellent results so he believes
strongly in it.

Regards,
Bud

Old September 11th 07, 01:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
RST Engineering

So where do you rank the A&Ps who are also engineers?

{;-)

Jim
VP Engineering, RST
A&P/IA

--
"If you think you can, or think you can't, you're right."
--Henry Ford

ps.com...

Old September 11th 07, 05:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Matt Barrow[_4_]

wrote in message
ps.com...
On Sep 9, 10:16 pm, Jay Honeck wrote:
Matt has used LOP for a while with excellent results so he believes
strongly in it.

And I believe in it because I read a book (okay, a series of articles They
even had charts!!!) that documented the physics and engineering involved
before I tried it. The, I took a weekend seminar about it.

Some people, though, can't get over that the old way is not the BEST way.

As Tolstoy put it:

"I know that most men, including those at ease with problems of the greatest
complexity, can seldom accept even the simplest and most obvious truth if it
be such as would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions which they
delighted in explaining to colleagues, which they have proudly taught to
others, and which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabric of
their lives." - Tolstoy

Jay (and others) might recognize that I'm about the most (healthily, IMO)
skeptical about claims, particularly those based on anecdote or, even worse,
faith.

--
Matt Barrow
Performance Homes, LLC.

Old September 11th 07, 06:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

On Sep 10, 7:02 pm, "RST Engineering" wrote:
So where do you rank the A&Ps who are also engineers?

{;-)

Jim
VP Engineering, RST
A&P/IA

--
"If you think you can, or think you can't, you're right."
--Henry Ford

wrote in message

ps.com...
I certainly don;t mean to imply that mechanics and

owners are the only arrogant people you find. Some of the most
arrogant people I have met have been engineers.- Hide quoted text -

Oh, I guess they can either be the best of the best, or the worst of
the worst, depending on their attitude.

Regards,
Bud

Old September 11th 07, 03:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck

I suppose those snotballs would have taken issue with the authors of The
Federalist papers.

In my business I literally meet all kinds of people, from every walk
of life. Most are fine folks, and are easy to get along with, so
long as you treat them with respect.

Others, however, are just friggin' nuts.

This is to be expected in a society that unilaterally emptied the
asylums without providing an alternative -- all in the name of
"personal freedom".

From where I sit, however, the reasons for the problem don't matter.

The fact is that these people exist, and -- whatever the reason for
their attitudes and oddities -- the only viable course of action is to
give them the bum's rush down the road.

It's no different here in rec.aviation than it is anywhere else.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old September 11th 07, 08:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Matt Barrow[_4_]

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
oups.com...
I suppose those snotballs would have taken issue with the authors of The
Federalist papers.

In my business I literally meet all kinds of people, from every walk
of life. Most are fine folks, and are easy to get along with, so
long as you treat them with respect.

So?

Others, however, are just friggin' nuts.

This is to be expected in a society that unilaterally emptied the
asylums without providing an alternative -- all in the name of
"personal freedom".

From where I sit, however, the reasons for the problem don't matter.

The fact is that these people exist, and -- whatever the reason for
their attitudes and oddities -- the only viable course of action is to
give them the bum's rush down the road.

It's no different here in rec.aviation than it is anywhere else.

(Great example going off on a tangent...if one could even call it
tangential)

And that has...what, to do with their using their real name, an alias, or a
pseudonym?

Again, you're conflating the message with the messenger.

Beech Duke Owners/ex-Owners ple help... Stanley Owning 12 June 10th 16 12:36 AM
GAMIjectors Dan Luke[_2_] Owning 25 September 9th 07 02:37 PM
SHK Owners [email protected] Soaring 1 February 7th 06 06:37 PM
Arrogant judges making law... Denny Piloting 27 March 23rd 05 06:11 PM
Any UH-1 owners in here? Jim Rotorcraft 7 October 6th 03 02:33 AM