Schweizer visit to the desert

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old October 14th 07, 11:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Schweizer visit to the desert

Our family family recently enjoyed a special one-day's visit to our
home and the gliderport from Les Schweizer. Kinda rare out here in the
Southwest.

Thrilled to hear from him the second and third (Kyle Schweizer)
generation Schweizers are upholding and continuing the over 70 year
family tradition of soaring. Even building an airstrip now in Cayuta,
New York.

One telling comment Les made that "most" of the SGS fleet is still
flying in 2007, with a review of serial numbers, revealed that is
ineed true. Taking inventory of our own little field; Schweizers are
certainly no longer the majority craft in US soaring, but most newbies
are still introduced to our sport either with a friend in the back
seat of the world's only three-seat Schweizer sailplane or a first
lesson in one of the very eaiest to fly, the 2-33 primary trainer.

I flew my first glider, an SGS 2-33, in 1971, soloing nine flights
later and have had a certain affection for, "Tin Birds" ever since.
But never realized just how much foresight and dedication it must have
required three brothers back then before the days of composites and
"See-you" software to make the tradition of an American glider a
reality lasting now into the next century.

Recommend, "Born to Fly", "Wings like eagles" and "Soaring with the
Schweizers" by Paul and Bill. Some unabashed tooting their own horns,
maybe, but even more facinating than the two bicycle building brothers
in Ohio in some ways.

Michael