BD-18

Old August 18th 06, 04:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
planenuts

Default BD-18

Anyone know the status of BD-18?
http://www.jimbede.com/
Is it really a joke or what?

Old August 18th 06, 06:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Bret Ludwig

planenuts wrote:
Anyone know the status of BD-18?
http://www.jimbede.com/
Is it really a joke or what?

No, but if past results are any guarantee of future performance, it
will be a disaster. Jim Bede has never had a truly successful business
venture. All have imploded with dead people, crashed airplanes and
builders left with nothing to show.

Homebuilders are a gullible bunch.

Old August 18th 06, 07:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Bret Ludwig

Still interested?

1. Jabiru is a worst-of-breed scenario. A LyCon has parts availability
through the normal aviation channels, which are at airports. A general
purpose engine installation has parts support through car, boat, or
industrial places within easy access of most any airport. Jabiru? One
guy in the US, and he has a reputation already. (Or his predecessor
sure did.)

2. Spins anyone? That was a BIG debacle for Grumman American if you
recall. From the look of it Jim has not learned a damn thing in almost
40 years.

3. Since the MOST successful BD homebuilt has few builders today and
was at best a mixed success and almost every other Jim Bede homebuilt
was an unmitigated disaster-the 5 and 10 stand way out there-I would
have to conclude that despite my dislike of them and /or their products
Richard Van Grunsven's RV, or even the arrogant prick Alfred Scott's
mutated production Falco, would be better choices.

Old August 19th 06, 01:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Kyle Boatright

"planenuts" wrote in message
ps.com...
Anyone know the status of BD-18?
http://www.jimbede.com/
Is it really a joke or what?

According to the website:

"The BD-18 has outstanding flying characteristics. A relatively high
cruising speed is belied by a modest landing speed. New pilots and pros
alike will enjoy its sweet and docile flying qualities."

Very interesting, since the "pictures" page only has computer generated
images, which makes me doubt that one has even been built, much less flown.

Next, I bet he'll be selling a kit for a single seater that gets 50 mpg,
goes 200 mph, and is fully aerobatic...

KB

Old August 19th 06, 02:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_3_]

"Kyle Boatright" wrote

Very interesting, since the "pictures" page only has computer generated
images, which makes me doubt that one has even been built, much less

flown.

Next, I bet he'll be selling a kit for a single seater that gets 50 mpg,
goes 200 mph, and is fully aerobatic...

Nah, they already offer one of those...
Jim in NC

Old August 19th 06, 02:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "Kyle Boatright" said:
Next, I bet he'll be selling a kit for a single seater that gets 50 mpg,
goes 200 mph, and is fully aerobatic...

Wasn't that the BD-5?

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
Consistently separating words by spaces became a general custom about
Old August 19th 06, 03:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_3_]

"Paul Tomblin" wrote in message
In a previous article, "Kyle Boatright" said:
Next, I bet he'll be selling a kit for a single seater that gets 50 mpg,
goes 200 mph, and is fully aerobatic...

Wasn't that the BD-5?

Nah! He never found a motor to work in that one.

Try again! g
--
Jim in NC

Old August 19th 06, 04:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "Morgans" said:
"Paul Tomblin" wrote in message
In a previous article, "Kyle Boatright" said:
Next, I bet he'll be selling a kit for a single seater that gets 50 mpg,
goes 200 mph, and is fully aerobatic...

Wasn't that the BD-5?

Nah! He never found a motor to work in that one.

Oh, sorry, I thought Kyle said he'll be selling a kit that he *claims*
gets 50mpg, goes 200mph, and is fully aerobatic.

I love the fact that the web site claims that the BD-10 is out of
production because the jet engine used too much fuel, not because it
killed everybody who flew it.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
I'd sooner volunteer to admin every Windows box at $ORKPLACE (and it's a
Old August 20th 06, 01:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Bret Ludwig

Paul Tomblin wrote:
In a previous article, "Morgans" said:
"Paul Tomblin" wrote in message
In a previous article, "Kyle Boatright" said:
Next, I bet he'll be selling a kit for a single seater that gets 50 mpg,
goes 200 mph, and is fully aerobatic...

Wasn't that the BD-5?

Nah! He never found a motor to work in that one.

Oh, sorry, I thought Kyle said he'll be selling a kit that he *claims*
gets 50mpg, goes 200mph, and is fully aerobatic.

I love the fact that the web site claims that the BD-10 is out of
production because the jet engine used too much fuel, not because it
killed everybody who flew it.

I believe there are a couple of BD-10 surviving pilots, but I don't
think any still fly. I was told that none ever exceeded 400 KIAS
(without disintegrating) and that was thought to be the true VNE for
the aircraft.

Jim Bede is Exhibit A for the sort of person the civil tort system is
SUPPOSED to keep deterred from doing business. Doesn't work, does it?
He has no liability insurance and all his property is in some other
name. He's judgmentproof. No one will sue him because they won't get
any assets and he probably won't even give you the satisfaction of a
trial-he'll just default, as the judgment isn't worth toilet paper.

Old August 20th 06, 02:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Bret Ludwig

Morgans wrote:
"Paul Tomblin" wrote in message
In a previous article, "Kyle Boatright" said:
Next, I bet he'll be selling a kit for a single seater that gets 50 mpg,
goes 200 mph, and is fully aerobatic...

Wasn't that the BD-5?

Nah! He never found a motor to work in that one.

Others did, but by then the damage was done. Homebuilders are
trendies, and the 5 was out of favor. It's as well: it took more
skills to fly than the demographic afforded.