Existing training is grandfathered out of the TSA rule

Old October 19th 04, 05:21 PM
David Brooks

Default Existing training is grandfathered out of the TSA rule

http://dmses.dot.gov/docimages/pdf90/300465_web.pdf

Central paragraph: "The regulation's requirements for flight training on
aircraft with an MTOW of 12,500 pounds or less do not take effect until
October 20, 2004. Flight students who are enrolled in such flight training
prior to October 20, 2004, are not subject to the regulation."

That's the only comment so far from the TSA on the docket. As written, it
leaves open some questions. For example, it seems to allow you to switch
instructors during training, depending on whether you read the letter in the
narrow context of the rule. At a stretch, you could even say you are in
perpetual training from the day of your first lesson.

-- David Brooks

Old October 19th 04, 05:50 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "David Brooks" said:
That's the only comment so far from the TSA on the docket. As written, it
leaves open some questions. For example, it seems to allow you to switch
instructors during training, depending on whether you read the letter in the
narrow context of the rule. At a stretch, you could even say you are in
perpetual training from the day of your first lesson.

My biggest question remains if BFRs count as training.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
"Our documented process says that I must now laugh in your face and double our

Old October 20th 04, 03:13 AM
Andrew Sarangan

(Paul Tomblin) wrote in
:

said:
That's the only comment so far from the TSA on the docket. As written,
it leaves open some questions. For example, it seems to allow you to
switch instructors during training, depending on whether you read the
letter in the narrow context of the rule. At a stretch, you could even
say you are in perpetual training from the day of your first lesson.

My biggest question remains if BFRs count as training.

EAA seems to think that recurrent training is not considered flight
training. http://www.eaa.org/communications/ea...ienupdate.html

http://www.usenet.com
Old October 20th 04, 04:31 PM
Robert M. Gary

Andrew Sarangan wrote in message .4...
EAA seems to think that recurrent training is not considered flight

training. http://www.eaa.org/communications/ea...ienupdate.html

AOPA disagrees. They also say this is NOT an FBO requirement but a CFI
requirement. The CFI is personally responsible for keeping this info.
If someone comes to you from another CFI they would need to reprove
citizenship.
I'm sure this will change daily.

-Robert, CFI
Old October 20th 04, 05:35 PM
David Brooks

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
om...
Andrew Sarangan wrote in message

.4...
EAA seems to think that recurrent training is not considered flight

training.

http://www.eaa.org/communications/ea...ienupdate.html

AOPA disagrees. They also say this is NOT an FBO requirement but a CFI
requirement. The CFI is personally responsible for keeping this info.
If someone comes to you from another CFI they would need to reprove
citizenship.
I'm sure this will change daily.

It has :-)

-- David Brooks

Old October 20th 04, 10:27 PM
David Brooks

"David Brooks" wrote in message
2) The rulings are complex, apparently arbitrary, contain wording for a
brand new logbook endorsement that they apparently dreamed up last night,
and are only a few hours old. AOPA can't shoot from the hip like I can -
give them a few hours.

They've shot from the hip:
http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/newsite...041020tsa.html

In which they claim there has been a 60-day exemption for both citizen and
alien pilots who already hold certificates. Is it my tired old eyes, or does
the TSA's own letter say that the 60-day exemption applies to aliens,
specifically? I've already asked AOPA to look again.

Along with many others who have been posting in the past month, I'm very
gratified that AOPA is making such a big deal of the impact on us resident
aliens in this message. And, if you're a member, is
another place to write.

"Roger Long" wrote in message
What happened to AOPA? There web site has gone silent on all this. Are
they all too busy celebrating out in CA? Last I heard, they were going

fight this tooth and nail as well.

--

Roger Long

"paul k. sanchez" wrote in message
And IPC's.

-jav

And night proficiency, avionics software, weather training, crosswind
techniques, line-oriented cross country, mountainous areas, insurance
qualification courses for aircraft, etc. Anything that is not required

for
recurrency of a type rating is considered "normal" training and

therefor
the
non-US citizen must apply to the TSA for the training course. And of
course
fork over $130 for each application, and let's not forget that the
instructor
has to take a picture of the non-US citizen pilot as he shows up for

the
appointment.

I will fight this tooth and nail. My plan is otherwise known as civil
inconvenience.

paul k. sanchez, cfii-mei
on eagles' wings
10643 shore drive
boca raton, florida 33428-5645
305-389-1742 wireless
561-852-6779 home/fax

Old October 21st 04, 08:57 PM
David Brooks

And thanks, Paul, for posting #292, and having the courage to call out by
name what those TSA operatives told you.

-- David Brooks
Believe!!!!!