ClearNav II

Old December 19th 14, 08:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

Default ClearNav II

There's a new ClearNav, shipping around end of January. It's fast (new processor)! It's bright (LED back light)! And most importantly it provides the hardware performance we need to expand our feature set. Existing CN flight computers can be upgraded. Case and mounting options have not changed.

Details he http://clearnav.net/simplemachinesfo...hp?topic=292.0

Please join us on the CNi Forum for discussion of all things ClearNav:
http://clearnav.net/simplemachinesforum/index.php

Good Soaring in 2015!

Evan Ludeman for CNi
http://www.clearnav.net

Old December 19th 14, 08:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

So if a new ClearNav II is only $500 more than the old ClearNav, why is the upgrade of an existing ClearNav $1000?
Old December 19th 14, 09:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, December 19, 2014 8:19:50 PM UTC, wrote:
So if a new ClearNav II is only $500 more than the old ClearNav, why is the upgrade of an existing ClearNav $1000?

Assembly of new hardware is a comparatively orderly and predictable batch process. Upgrading equipment that has been out in the field is a much less time efficient process even before technical issues arise.
Old December 20th 14, 03:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

On Friday, December 19, 2014 4:32:59 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Friday, December 19, 2014 8:19:50 PM UTC, wrote:
So if a new ClearNav II is only $500 more than the old ClearNav, why is the upgrade of an existing ClearNav $1000?

Assembly of new hardware is a comparatively orderly and predictable batch process. Upgrading equipment that has been out in the field is a much less time efficient process even before technical issues arise.

I agree. That's like asking, "Hey, this car is only $500 more with the big V8 in it, why will it cost me $5000 to convert my small V6 to the same V8?"
Simplistic, I know, (also, the costs in my example are likely a lot higher).

Curious to see what else new is coming from CNi along with the hardware change.
Old December 20th 14, 07:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

Somewhere, I am guessing, there are one or two guys thinking "Excellent, I don't have to replace my entire flight computer and do a whole new panel installation to stay cutting edge." You know: guys that read r.a.s. but don't post as much :-).

In the specific case of doing the CN = CNII conversion, large fraction of internals get changed out. Even if the retail price of CNII was unchanged from CNI, the cost of the parts change out and software development is significant.

As well: what would be the value of your used CN if there was no upgrade path? What is the value given that it can be upgraded to CNII for $1000?

Merry Christmas and good soaring in '15!

Evan Ludeman for CNi
Old December 20th 14, 07:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ron Gleason

Come on Evan, we are glider pilots. We spend too much $$ on gliders and want everything else for free or next to nothing. The manufacturers are there to serve and worship us pilots right? Damn with making money just keep the glider pilots happy and supplied with free equipment and software updates 8-)
Old December 20th 14, 08:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

On Saturday, December 20, 2014 2:51:52 PM UTC-5, Ron Gleason wrote:
Come on Evan, we are glider pilots. We spend too much $$ on gliders and want everything else for free or next to nothing. The manufacturers are there to serve and worship us pilots right? Damn with making money just keep the glider pilots happy and supplied with free equipment and software updates 8-)

Ron,

As a frequent soaring event organizer, I'm certain you appreciate the necessity of snark resistant skin in certain endeavors :-). Doing the equipment gig is not completely dissimilar.

best,
Evan

ClearNav forum? [email protected] Soaring 3 May 30th 13 05:51 PM
ClearNav Vario Paul Remde Soaring 5 January 8th 11 11:34 PM
$1500 ClearNav... sisu1a Soaring 1 January 8th 11 04:01 AM
ClearNav too big? brianDG303 Soaring 9 June 13th 08 07:15 PM
NK ClearNav Update Paul Remde Soaring 4 February 4th 08 01:31 PM