Flying in China

Old September 13th 05, 06:09 PM
Guy Byars

Kind of off topic, but I read China recently placed an order for 30+ nuclear
power plants. Hopefully that will let them retire some of their dirty coal
plants, though the new plants might only keep up with the projected increase
in demand.

I wish the US would get back on track with safe clean Nuclear energy and
stop killing the enviornment by burning coal.

GB

"M" wrote in message
ups.com...

I can definitely attest to that. I travel to China yearly in the last
five years visiting many cities along its coast. The haze caused by
pollution renders any low altitude flying IFR even on cloudless days,
and that's everywhere along its coast. I very rarely see blue sky
there. The sky is almost always brown-ish white on a clear day.

It'll take them probably 50 years to clean up their air. The haze in
China even affects Japan due to prevailing wind.

I feel thankful for the environmental laws in US every time I return
home to Seattle.

-M

Hamilton Flyer wrote:
If you are going to the Hong Kong / Shenzen area or Shanghai, you can
expect that the pollution will be so thick as to rarely have VFR

conditions.

Not GA friendly place by a longshot - I'm afraid.

Steve

Old September 13th 05, 08:33 PM
xyzzy

Guy Byars wrote:

I wish the US would get back on track with safe clean Nuclear energy and
stop killing the enviornment by burning coal.

The latest energy bill has about $2billion in subsidies for each of the
first few nuke plants built, and the utilities around here are rushing
to cash in. So I think you'll get your wish.

I live near both a nuke plant and a coal plant. I'd much rather see the
coal plant closed than the nuke plant (though, to bring this back on
topic, the coal plant has never caused a national security TFR that
grounded all traffic at home airport).