Cobra trailer trim.

Old July 18th 06, 03:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob

Default Cobra trailer trim.

Does anyone have any experience or comments on replacing the vinyl trim
that runs the length on both sides of the trailer. (Mine has faded over
the years but otherwise good.)

What's involved and how difficult?

Thanks,

Bob

Old July 18th 06, 04:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Greg Arnold

T o d d P a t t i s t wrote:
"Bob" wrote:

Does anyone have any experience or comments on replacing the vinyl trim
that runs the length on both sides of the trailer. (Mine has faded over
the years but otherwise good.)

I can't answer this (mine has faded too), but I've got a
related question - where can I get brake shoes for a Cobra
trailer?

Try Williams Soaring in N. California.
Old July 18th 06, 05:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gary Evans[_1_]

Yes, unfortunately I do. My original red strips faded
to black within 2 years and then started cracking.
Just received a set of replacement strips directly
from Cobra for $216 US delivered (not cheap). They
slide onto channels on the frame. Looks easy enough
for a couple of people to install. You have to trim
the ends and refasten with pop rivets included.

Old July 18th 06, 05:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bela Szalai

You are lucky. My red trim turned black in just one summer. Colorado UV.
Once it became uniformly black I learned to accept it.
I also learned to replace O-ring in the hydraulic ramp jack in 30 minutes,
an annual chore.
It looks like I need to replace the right tire about every 12-15 K miles,
since wheel toe is not adjustable, replacements easily beats cost of new
axle.
- Béla

- Does anyone have any experience or comments on replacing the vinyl
- trim that runs the length on both sides of the trailer. (Mine has
- faded over the years but otherwise good.)
-
-

Old July 18th 06, 06:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Greg Arnold

Bela Szalai wrote:
You are lucky. My red trim turned black in just one summer. Colorado UV.
Once it became uniformly black I learned to accept it.
I also learned to replace O-ring in the hydraulic ramp jack in 30 minutes,
an annual chore.

Do you make your own O-ring, or do you have a source for one that fits?

Old July 18th 06, 08:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
chipsoars

Anyone know where I can get the weatherstripping seal on the bottom
half of the trailer. This is what the clamshell closes against.

Also, has anyone replace lights with LED's and mounted a high center
stop light? What bulbs are in the tail lens?

Chip F.

Old July 18th 06, 09:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob

Thanks for the info.
Are the 'new' weather strips UV resistant or will they too fade with
time?
Bob

Old July 18th 06, 11:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bubba

First, purchase from Williams Soaring (best price).
Second, The new stuff is difficult to slide into the channel. The
secret is to have 3 people. One person pulling, one pushing and one
feeding makes all the difference.
One person impossible
Two people, all day task
Three have it done in 30 minutes.

Old July 19th 06, 01:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

--

Make sure you get the right shoes for your trailer. When I called Rex
he didn't have the vintage-1987-type so I ordered a set from Cobra.

I took my old shoes to a brake shop in Pomona Ca and had them relined it can be done as long as you haven't let them get into the steel and have the drums turned at the same time. Price for 4 shoes & 2 drums turned $40.

LED lights can be bought at any big truck trailer supply such as
Utility or Trailmobile. Tail , brake & turn on my glass top cobra work
and look great, but I had to take a flapper wheel on a die grinder and
enlarge the holes out to 4". Side marker lights I used are (and tails)
Maxima brand didn't even have to drill new screw holes bolted right on
and took 30 min to do all 4.

Help - Cobra Trailer Trim? WDM Soaring 2 January 12th 05 07:47 PM
Cobra Trailer Hookup [email protected] Soaring 12 January 12th 05 03:08 PM
COBRA Skin Trailer Protector - Commercial John Seaborn Soaring 0 July 20th 04 04:38 PM
Cobra Trailer Axel Replacement Carter Soaring 7 July 7th 04 02:06 PM
Cobra trailer fittings for different glider makes & models John W Soaring 4 September 24th 03 03:21 PM