Starduster Too, first flight, busted prop

Old June 1st 06, 04:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Starduster Too, first flight, busted prop

Al wrote:
"cavelamb" wrote in message
nk.net...

Al wrote:

Pavement, KRBG, and about 10" I think.

Al

Ok, another WAG?

Stardusters sometimes have rather long looking noses.

If that was 10" in level attitude - obviously not a prob.
If that's 10" clearance in 3 point? Maybe?

It was a good 10" in a level attitude. Far enough to strike the prop would
be scary indeed.

LAST WAG?

You found an old prop on the resturant wall?

He, He, It WILL end up on a wall somewhere. Perhaps with a clock. The
strange part to me is that he didn't notice a thing until shutdown.

I finally got some pictures up, (alt.binaries.pictures.aviation). I tried
earlier, but hit some kind of size limitation.

Al

Will go take a (morbidly curious) look.

Most likely scenerio is that this prop is (well, WAS) too long for this engine.
At operating speeds, the tip sheething let go (oh, say at about 4000 to 5000
G's?), and the prop "re-balanced" itself (rather quickly) sheding the dammaged wood.

Those OLD props (say from an OX-5?) turned something like 1200 to 1500 RPM max.

What do you think, Al?

RIchard
Old June 1st 06, 04:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"cavelamb" wrote in message
ink.net...
Al wrote:
"cavelamb" wrote in message
nk.net...

Al wrote:

[...]

It has been suggested that what he really needed was a shorter prop, and now
he has one.

At operating speeds, the tip sheething let go

This is the only scenario that fits all of the observations. I don't
understand it, exactly, but there you have it. The radial Continental only
turns 2500 or so doesn't it ? And wooden props are used on old radials all
the time aren't they? So what went wrong?

If we, for the moment, ignore witness reports, The other most likely
scenario was voiced by Capt Thorpe, "That prop had to hit SOMETHING." My
reply follows:

That prop had to hit SOMETHING.

You know, Capt., I couldn't agree more. The NTSB guy inside of me concludes
that "The prop came into contact with a stationary surface, long enough to
strike both blades". But I sure can't back it up with a single observation
and the witnesses don't support it. We did a "FOD walk down" on the runway,
and saw no splinters or strike marks. The taxi way signs apparently have no
damage, again, no splinters. The pilot didn't observe anything. He was as
shocked as we were upon shutdown. Of course it was his first flight in a
plane he built. He may be excused for not being the perfect observer. He is,
however, an ex marine, very quick wit, even somewhat humble; if he saw
something he would tell us. There were witnesses(Pilots) out on the side of
the runway during departure, and they all report no unusual noises or
events. Even the landing was reported as normal.
There has been a theory advanced that the prop tips(metal), departed in
flight causing the damage. I think the length of the cracks and splinters on
the remaining prop blades argues against this. Even a lightweight taxi sign
shouldn't cause damage like this.
I haven't given up. I think the odds of that kind of symmetrical and
extensive damage occurring in flight are slim. I will feel better when I
find a piece of prop, somewhere on the airport.

Al

Old June 1st 06, 06:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"Al" wrote in message

"Cy Galley" wrote in message
Any BLOOD? Might have hit a bird!

I didn't see any blood, (see new photos alt.binaries.pictures.aviation)
and it seems unlikely you'd trash both ends with one bird.

Al,

I have see something simmilar on an autogyro, a banson. Using a VW type
engine with tow stromberg carbs. The plastic top and attached damper piston
cam adrift and the prop struck it while running up to full power for a take
off, the prop broke two out of three blades, they just shattered. When you
look at the small size of the part that did the damage you could well
understand the damage a stone could do or even a bird.
--
..
..

Al

Old June 1st 06, 06:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Al wrote:

"cavelamb" wrote in message
ink.net...

Al wrote:

"cavelamb" wrote in message
hlink.net...

[...]

FOD walk the run up area...
Old June 1st 06, 10:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"Modelflyer" wrote in message

"Al" wrote in message

"Cy Galley" wrote in message
Any BLOOD? Might have hit a bird!

I didn't see any blood, (see new photos alt.binaries.pictures.aviation)
and it seems unlikely you'd trash both ends with one bird.

Al,

I have see something simmilar on an autogyro, a banson. Using a VW type
engine with tow stromberg carbs. The plastic top and attached damper
piston cam adrift and the prop struck it while running up to full power
for a take off, the prop broke two out of three blades, they just
shattered. When you look at the small size of the part that did the damage
you could well understand the damage a stone could do or even a bird.
--
.
.

Thanks, I'll tell him about it.

Al

Old June 2nd 06, 12:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"cavelamb" wrote in message
k.net...
snip
FOD walk the run up area...

Given the damage to the prop, I have to believe that it came apart after the
landing since the pilot didn't notice anything at flight rpm...

Any chance he could have sucked up a tie down rope? The prop ends could
have made it over the next hanger row and be pretty darn hard to find...

BTW - That's one nice looking airplane (I don't think anyone has mentioned
that yet).

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

Old June 2nd 06, 02:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Modelflyer wrote:
"Al" wrote in message

"Cy Galley" wrote in message

Any BLOOD? Might have hit a bird!

I didn't see any blood, (see new photos alt.binaries.pictures.aviation)
and it seems unlikely you'd trash both ends with one bird.

Al,

I have see something simmilar on an autogyro, a banson. Using a VW type
engine with tow stromberg carbs. The plastic top and attached damper piston
cam adrift and the prop struck it while running up to full power for a take
off, the prop broke two out of three blades, they just shattered. When you
look at the small size of the part that did the damage you could well
understand the damage a stone could do or even a bird.

or even too tall grass...