B-29 Question

Old January 9th 04, 05:35 AM

Default B-29 Question

I recently acquired a photo of a B-29 named "Georgia Peach." Does
anyone know what is the little camels painted below the pilot's window
on the B-29 signify? Obviously a mission accomplished, but from where
and by what group? I notice on TV that one of the B-29s that wound up
in Russia also had these camels.
Old January 9th 04, 05:50 AM
Kevin Brooks

wrote in message
I recently acquired a photo of a B-29 named "Georgia Peach." Does
anyone know what is the little camels painted below the pilot's window
on the B-29 signify? Obviously a mission accomplished, but from where
and by what group? I notice on TV that one of the B-29s that wound up
in Russia also had these camels.

I believe it may refer to resupply missions flown "over the hump", when the
original B-29 force in theater (58th BW, IIRC) was trying to conduct
effective operations from bases in China. Due to shortages in transport
aircraft, B-29's were stripped of armament and pressed into temporary
service ferrying bombs and (IIRC again) fuel to the forward bases, to allow
the remainder of the force to execute offensive missions. The logistics
situation was pretty tough for those guys, and as soon as possible they were
relocated to the Mariannas (Tinian and/or Saipan).

Brooks

Old January 9th 04, 05:51 AM
C.D.Damron

http://www.kennesaw.edu/history/Bell3photos.htm

There is a pic of the plane on this site.

Old January 9th 04, 05:51 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

wrote in message

I recently acquired a photo of a B-29 named "Georgia Peach." Does
anyone know what is the little camels painted below the pilot's window
on the B-29 signify? Obviously a mission accomplished, but from where
and by what group? I notice on TV that one of the B-29s that wound up
in Russia also had these camels.

It signifies a flight over the Hump.

Old January 9th 04, 05:57 AM
Tex Houston

wrote in message
I recently acquired a photo of a B-29 named "Georgia Peach." Does
anyone know what is the little camels painted below the pilot's window
on the B-29 signify? Obviously a mission accomplished, but from where
and by what group? I notice on TV that one of the B-29s that wound up
in Russia also had these camels.

I vaguely recall those as flights over the Hump from India to forward bases
in China to deliver gasoline to CBI forward operating bases. You drained
everything except your required return fuel. Not very efficient supply
procedure but war is not a profit making exercise. Best place to ask these
questions is probably the heavy bomber forums at
http://www.armyairforces.com/default.asp where you have experts on these
subjects.

Regards,

Tex Houston

Old January 9th 04, 11:08 AM
Cub Driver

what is the little camels painted below the pilot's window
on the B-29 signify?

Yes, they mean flights over the Hump of the Himalayas. The Peach
presumably was part of Matterhorn, in which the 20th Wing was based at
Chengdu, China, and was tasked with hauling most of its ordnance and
fuel from China.

There's a plane at the SAC Museum in Omaha with the camel markings.
Forget the type of aircraft.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email:

see the Warbird's Forum at
www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com
Old January 9th 04, 11:23 AM
Mark and Kim Smith

Cub Driver wrote:

what is the little camels painted below the pilot's window
on the B-29 signify?

Yes, they mean flights over the Hump of the Himalayas. The Peach
presumably was part of Matterhorn, in which the 20th Wing was based at
Chengdu, China, and was tasked with hauling most of its ordnance and
fuel from China.

There's a plane at the SAC Museum in Omaha with the camel markings.
Forget the type of aircraft.

B29, Man O War.
http://www.warbirdsresourcegroup.org...9-4484076.html

all the best -- Dan Ford
email:

see the Warbird's Forum at
www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com

Old January 10th 04, 08:19 AM
John Keeney

"Cub Driver" wrote in message
news

what is the little camels painted below the pilot's window
on the B-29 signify?

Yes, they mean flights over the Hump of the Himalayas. The Peach
presumably was part of Matterhorn, in which the 20th Wing was based at
Chengdu, China, and was tasked with hauling most of its ordnance and
fuel from China.

There's a plane at the SAC Museum in Omaha with the camel markings.
Forget the type of aircraft.

I was there last summer but don't remember that plane.
Oh well, a lot of C-46s got Humps.

Old January 19th 04, 06:03 PM
sddso

The Strategic Air and Space Museum (formerly the SAC Museum, now
combined with the Society of SAC) is no longer at either Omaha nor
Offutt AFB.

It relocated in 1998 to a site north of Interstate 80 Exit 426, near
Schramm State Park. For those unfamiliar with the map of Nebraska, that
is where I-80 crosses the Platte River, between Omaha and Lincoln.

http://www.strategicairandspace.com/General/general.htm
Strategic Air and Space Museum

The warbirdresourcegroup.org photo of Man - O - War does show it as
displayed inside SASM's new indoor facility.

and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com

A question on Airworthiness Inspection Dave S Home Built 1 August 10th 04 05:07 AM
Question Charles S Home Built 4 April 5th 04 09:10 PM
Question about Question 4488 [email protected] Instrument Flight Rules 3 October 27th 03 02:26 AM
T Tail question Paul Austin Military Aviation 7 September 23rd 03 06:05 PM