Round Engines

Old February 13th 07, 02:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dave[_5_]

Default Round Engines

On Feb 12, 4:07 pm, "Jim Macklin"
wrote:
The Merlin is the best sounding engine of all time.

My office used to be under the final approach path for runway 15 at
SBA. One day I heard the unmistakable sound of a Merlin pass overhead.
But wait - that sounded like two merlins! What could that be - a
Mosquito?. I had to go look. Sure enough, it was a pair of Merlins -
on a Spanish-built JU-88. How's that for a rare bird? I read somehere
that it had been Franco's personal plane - and also that it later
crashed.

David Johnson

Old February 13th 07, 04:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Orval Fairbairn

In article . com,
"Dave" wrote:

On Feb 12, 4:07 pm, "Jim Macklin"
wrote:
The Merlin is the best sounding engine of all time.

My office used to be under the final approach path for runway 15 at
SBA. One day I heard the unmistakable sound of a Merlin pass overhead.
But wait - that sounded like two merlins! What could that be - a
Mosquito?. I had to go look. Sure enough, it was a pair of Merlins -
on a Spanish-built JU-88. How's that for a rare bird? I read somehere
that it had been Franco's personal plane - and also that it later
crashed.

David Johnson

Are you sure that it wasn't a Heinkel? IIRC, the Spanish didn't have
JU-88s.
Old February 13th 07, 02:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kingfish

On Feb 12, 11:33 pm, Orval Fairbairn
wrote:
In article . com,

"Dave" wrote:
On Feb 12, 4:07 pm, "Jim Macklin"
wrote:
The Merlin is the best sounding engine of all time.

My office used to be under the final approach path for runway 15 at
SBA. One day I heard the unmistakable sound of a Merlin pass overhead.
But wait - that sounded like two merlins! What could that be - a
Mosquito?. I had to go look. Sure enough, it was a pair of Merlins -
on a Spanish-built JU-88. How's that for a rare bird? I read somehere
that it had been Franco's personal plane - and also that it later
crashed.

David Johnson

Are you sure that it wasn't a Heinkel? IIRC, the Spanish didn't have
JU-88s.

What a coinky-dink. I saw that plane out in Mesa at the AZ wing of the
CAF back in 2000. Assuming this is the same plane, it's a Spanish
(CASA) built He-111 that was lost in 2003. Some of those postwar
planes were retrofitted with Merlins in place of the original Jumo
engines.

Old February 13th 07, 08:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Orval Fairbairn

In article . com,
"Kingfish" wrote:

On Feb 12, 11:33 pm, Orval Fairbairn
wrote:
In article . com,

"Dave" wrote:
On Feb 12, 4:07 pm, "Jim Macklin"
wrote:
[...]

Heinkels, IIRC, had DB engines, not Junkers. Yes -- the Spanish
converted their Heinkels and Messerschmitts to Merlins, from DB engines.
Old February 13th 07, 08:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kingfish

On Feb 13, 3:16 pm, Orval Fairbairn wrote:
Are you sure that it wasn't a Heinkel? IIRC, the Spanish didn't have
JU-88s.

What a coinky-dink. I saw that plane out in Mesa at the AZ wing of the
CAF back in 2000. Assuming this is the same plane, it's a Spanish
(CASA) built He-111 that was lost in 2003. Some of those postwar
planes were retrofitted with Merlins in place of the original Jumo
engines.

Heinkels, IIRC, had DB engines, not Junkers. Yes -- the Spanish
converted their Heinkels and Messerschmitts to Merlins, from DB engines.- Hide quoted text -

According to the source I found (Wiki), they had both. The He-111 H
models had Jumo 211's. IIRC most 111's did have the DB 600/601
engines like you said.

Old February 14th 07, 02:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dave[_5_]

On Feb 12, 11:33 pm, Orval Fairbairn
wrote:
In article . com,

"Dave" wrote:
On Feb 12, 4:07 pm, "Jim Macklin"
wrote:
The Merlin is the best sounding engine of all time.

My office used to be under the final approach path for runway 15 at
SBA. One day I heard the unmistakable sound of a Merlin pass overhead.
But wait - that sounded like two merlins! What could that be - a
Mosquito?. I had to go look. Sure enough, it was a pair of Merlins -
on a Spanish-built JU-88. How's that for a rare bird? I read somehere
that it had been Franco's personal plane - and also that it later
crashed.

David Johnson

Are you sure that it wasn't a Heinkel? IIRC, the Spanish didn't have
JU-88s.

You are right - my memory failed. I have also seen a Spanish ME-109
with a Merlin.
I read that the Spanish continued building them after WWII, when the
German engines were no longer available.

Old February 14th 07, 07:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Brian[_1_]

On Feb 12, 2:07 pm, "Jim Macklin"
wrote:
The Merlin is the best sounding engine of all time.

Followed by the P&W R2800

I agree the only thing I have found that sounds better than a Merlin
as 2 of them in sync on DeHavilland Mosquito.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

Old February 14th 07, 07:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Feb 11, 11:30 pm, john smith wrote:
DEDICATED TO ALL THOSE WHO FLEW BEHIND ROUND ENGINES

We gotta get rid of those turbines, they're ruining aviation and our
hearing...

A turbine is too simple minded, it has no mystery. The air travels
through it in a straight line and doesn't pick up any of the pungent
fragrance of engine oil or pilot sweat.

Anybody can start a turbine. You just need to move a switch from "OFF"
to "START" and then remember to move it back to "ON" after a while. My
PC is harder to start.

Cranking a round engine requires skill, finesse and style. You have to
seduce it into starting. It's like waking up a beautiful and classy
mistress. Treat her right and you're in for a thrill. Abuse her and
you'll regret it!!!!

On some turbine planes, the pilots aren't even allowed to start the
engine...
Turbines start by whining for a while, and then give a lady-like poof
and start whining a little louder.

Round engines give a satisfying rattle-rattle, click-click, BANG, more
rattles, another BANG, a big macho explosion or two, more clicks, a lot
more smoke and finally a serious low pitched roar. We like that. It's a
GUY thing...

When you start a round engine, your mind is engaged and you can
concentrate on the flight ahead. Starting a turbine is like flicking on
a ceiling fan: Useful, but hardly exciting.

When you have started his round engine successfully your Crew Chief
looks up at you like he'd let you kiss his girl, too!

Turbines don't break or catch fire often enough, which leads to aircrew
boredom, complacency and inattention. A round engine at speed looks and
sounds like it's going to blow any minute. This helps concentrate the
mind!

Turbines don't have enough control levers or gauges to keep a pilot's
attention. There's nothing to fiddle with during long flights.

Turbines smell like a Boy Scout camp full of Coleman Lamps. Round
engines smell like God intended machines to smell.

Yeah, I prefer square engines myself...

Old February 14th 07, 09:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

Or the Twin Mustang P82
ups.com...

Old February 15th 07, 02:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Orval Fairbairn

In article ,
"Jim Macklin" wrote:

Or the Twin Mustang P82
"Brian" wrote in message

The P82 (at least the production versions) had Allisons.

ups.com...
| On Feb 12, 2:07 pm, "Jim Macklin"
| wrote:
| The Merlin is the best sounding engine of all time.
|
| Followed by the P&W R2800
|

| I agree the only thing I have found that sounds better
than a Merlin
| as 2 of them in sync on DeHavilland Mosquito.
|
| Brian
| CFIIG/ASEL

Speakin' of Round Engines... Grumpy AuContraire Aviation Photos 20 November 19th 06 02:50 AM
Round Engines Big John Piloting 80 January 27th 06 03:29 AM
Round Engines Voxpopuli Naval Aviation 16 May 31st 05 06:48 PM