Airports Around Columbia SC

Old December 21st 03, 12:57 PM
S Ramirez

Default Airports Around Columbia SC

Hi there, does anyone have any comments on airports around the Columbia, SC
area? My wife and I are thinking of making a trip to Columbia this coming
Friday, and we need some comments and advice on where to land and park the
airplane overnight. We have friends and local transportation already
available.

Thanks.

Simon Ramirez, Orlando, FL

Old December 21st 03, 07:27 PM
smackey

"S Ramirez" wrote in message . com...
Hi there, does anyone have any comments on airports around the Columbia, SC
area? My wife and I are thinking of making a trip to Columbia this coming
Friday, and we need some comments and advice on where to land and park the
airplane overnight. We have friends and local transportation already
available.

Thanks.

Simon Ramirez, Orlando, FL

Simon,

I flew into Columbia Metropolitan (CAE), the main airport, in my C172
last summer. Parked at Eagle Aviation for a week. I was treated very
well, and can highly recommend that FBO. The airport seems to be very
GA friendly. The departure controller was very nice when I decided I
needed a popup clearance about ten minutes after I took off.
Old December 21st 03, 09:08 PM
S Ramirez

"smackey" wrote in message
I flew into Columbia Metropolitan (CAE), the main airport, in my C172
last summer. Parked at Eagle Aviation for a week. I was treated very
well, and can highly recommend that FBO. The airport seems to be very
GA friendly. The departure controller was very nice when I decided I
needed a popup clearance about ten minutes after I took off.

Smackey,

What is a popup clearance?

Simon

Old December 21st 03, 09:57 PM
Ron Natalie

"S Ramirez" wrote in message news:sZnFb.60969
What is a popup clearance?

An abbreviated IFR plan and the resulting clearance filed directly with
the controller.

Old December 21st 03, 10:11 PM
S Ramirez

"Ron Natalie" wrote in message
m...

"S Ramirez" wrote in message

What is a popup clearance?

An abbreviated IFR plan and the resulting clearance filed directly with
the controller.

Is this the same thing as directly filing an IFR flight plan in air or are
there several types of IFR clearances filed with the controller while in the
air, the popup clearance being one of them?

Simon

Old December 21st 03, 10:59 PM
Ron Natalie

"S Ramirez" wrote in message

What is a popup clearance?

An abbreviated IFR plan and the resulting clearance filed directly with
the controller.

Is this the same thing as directly filing an IFR flight plan in air or are
there several types of IFR clearances filed with the controller while in the
air, the popup clearance being one of them?

It's the same thing. Usually the controller doesn't take the entire 15 blocks
or whatever it is of the IFR plan, just the essential information. The alternative
is to pop over to a FSS frequency and air file the plan with them and then open
it like you'd had filed it on the ground (albeit starting at some point in the air).

Old December 22nd 03, 12:55 AM
Bill J

I have used both often. I Like CAE better than CUB, except the location
of CUB happened to be very close to destination. I would choose based on
shortest ground travel.

Old December 22nd 03, 01:22 AM
Robert Coffey

I don't know about any other airports around Columbia, but I would NOT
recommend Saluda (6j4). I went there to pick up a friend who had been on
a golf outing. At 2pm on a Sunday the place was deserted i.e. no fuel.
Tall weeds had grown up in the runway. Needless to say the pavement
wasn't in very good condition. I stopped by Greenwood Co. (GRD) on the
way back to get fuel. Nice, very nice.

Old December 22nd 03, 04:32 PM
Jim Fisher

"S Ramirez" wrote in message
om...
Hi there, does anyone have any comments on airports around the Columbia,

SC
area? My wife and I are thinking of making a trip to Columbia this coming
Friday, and we need some comments and advice on where to land and park the
airplane overnight. We have friends and local transportation already
available.

Howdy Simon,

I grew up in Columbia. Let me know if you need suggestions on what to do
and see there. Cool town.

As for airports, your choices are limited to either Columbia Metropolitan
(CAE) or Owens Field (CUB). CAE is a fair distance west of downtown but
closer to the interstates. CUB is on the east side of town - far form the
interstates but closer to downtown. Your choice really depends on what side
of town your friend reside . . or perhaps the price of fuel. Tell me what
neighborhood or part of town they live in and I'll tell you what airport is
most convenient.

CAE is the "big" (but GA friendly) airport with two huge runways. Eagle
Aviation has been around a long time and have cute chicks at the counter. I
used to go "parking" on roof of their facility. One of their ex-employees
used to be the park-ee that turned me on to the secret rooftop accessway.
Makin' love 30 feet from the runway with the smell of avgas in the air is
probably what really motivated me to eventually become a pilot. . . but I
digress.

Very good "ass-kissin'" service last time I was there (golf cart to carry
you 30 feet from your plane and all that).

CUB is a small, well equipped GA airport. Don't know about the
counter-chicks or the service but Airnav seems to have favorable comments
about them.

--
Jim Fisher