Missing approach in Garmin 530 database

Old April 23rd 06, 02:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Missing approach in Garmin 530 database

Today, I was flying with some friends for lunch at LRN, Lone Rock. The winds
were out of the west, and I had planned on doing the GPS 27 approach, which
was in my Jepp book and also printed out from the FAA chart.

However, when I tried to call it up on my 530 (with a current data card) the
approach was not listed. Has anyone else had a missing approach on a Garmin
data card?

Does anyone out there have this approach on their card?

Old April 23rd 06, 02:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Sorry, it should have been LNR (I had it right during our flight earlier
today)

Old April 23rd 06, 11:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Viperdoc wrote:

Today, I was flying with some friends for lunch at LRN, Lone Rock. The winds
were out of the west, and I had planned on doing the GPS 27 approach, which
was in my Jepp book and also printed out from the FAA chart.

However, when I tried to call it up on my 530 (with a current data card) the
approach was not listed. Has anyone else had a missing approach on a Garmin
data card?

Does anyone out there have this approach on their card?

When all else fails, check the NOTAMS:

FDC 5/1485 - FI/T TRI-COUNTY REGIONAL, LONE ROCK, WI. VOR/DME RNAV OR
GPS RWY 27, AMDT 6... PROCEDURE NA. WIE UNTIL UFN

Old April 23rd 06, 02:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Thanks for the info. I admit I didnt pay too close attention to the NOTAMS
since the weather was VFR and forecast to remain that way during our stay. I
only tried to punch it in the 530 when the controller asked me which
approach I wanted to do, even though it was 3800 broken on the ASOS.

I wonder why the FAA paper chart was still issued (it's still early in the
cycle to get a change notice)- it may be that the Garmin database is
actually more up to date than the FAA printed materials.

Anyway, thanks again.

Old April 24th 06, 03:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Deleting an approach is a real governmental red-tape exercise, so some
approaches that are no longer in use show up in chart subscriptions for
years....because it takes just as much time, effort, and money to
re-establish an approach. IOW, they can't just turn them on and off at a
whim.

Bob Gardner

Old April 24th 06, 11:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

I've noticed this a couple of times. Check the NOTAMS.

Jepp is pretty good about removing such plates... they stay
in the Govt book a long time.

If it isn't in the database, it should send up a very red flag.

Bill Hale

Old April 26th 06, 03:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

I wonder why the FAA paper chart was still issued

Because that's just how the FAA does it. One of the quirks of the NAS
is that an approach will quite often go totally NA, for years, and the
(NACO) paper chart will not reflect that in any way. You would think
they would print Proc NA somewhere on the chart, but they don't. The
ONLY way to find out is by checking the published (Class II) NOTAM's.
Note that this is not true of any other change in the approach -
changes in mins, procedures, frequencies, etc. will all get reflected
in the next printing cycle or CN. But not a total cancellation. It's
one of those quirks that every IFR pilot should know, but because it's
not on the written many don't.

It can throw a real monkey wrench into your alternate planning, and
leave you in a real ugly situation if the weather forecast busts. BTDT
got the brown underwear.

Michael

Old April 26th 06, 05:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Barney Rubble wrote:
Well, I agree with the sentiment, but they did just 'switch it off'. They
just forgot or decided not to remove it from the chart. Once they have
surveyed the approach and established minimums, it really should not be too
difficult to re-enable it once the issue has gone. But again red tape would
probably make this sensible option a non-starter.

Sometimes they don't cancel the procedure if they plan to eventually
reinstate it. That way they don't release the airspace for cell towers
and possible tall buildings.
Old April 27th 06, 09:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Note that this is not true of any other change in the approach -
changes in mins, procedures, frequencies, etc. will all get reflected
in the next printing cycle or CN.

Is this really true? If so, when did this policy come into effect? I'm
pretty sure that 10-15 years ago I encountered some procedure changes
(different missed approach, addition of "DME required") that remained as
published NOTAMs for many months.

Old April 27th 06, 10:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Note that this is not true of any other change in the approach -
changes in mins, procedures, frequencies, etc. will all get reflected
in the next printing cycle or CN.

Is this really true?

Mostly. Oh, sure, sometimes it will take an extra cycle or two to get
around to it. After all, NACO moves at the speed of government.

If so, when did this policy come into effect? I'm
pretty sure that 10-15 years ago I encountered some procedure changes
(different missed approach, addition of "DME required") that remained as
published NOTAMs for many months.

But not years. It's policy to incorporate changes to an approach into
the next revision of the plate. As with everything else, sometimes
this doesn't happen on time, but they do make an effort.

The point is that when an approach is NOTAM'd out completely, the
policy is not to remove the plate or make any notation to that effect.

In other words - it's the difference between good policy that sometimes
doesn't happen quite on time, and bad policy.

Michael