2-stroke diesel is the (near) future?

Old May 12th 05, 11:06 PM
Andrew P.

Wandering aimlessly about the Web, I heard Sport Pilot say:
You have most of it right. Some things you have wrong,

1. Desiel injection timing is differant than on an Otto engine. The
fuel is injected during the intake cycle on the Otto engine and the
fuel is injected during the ignition cycle on the Desiel. On the
Desiel the fuel injection cycle starts just before TDC and ends well
after TDC. The fuel ignites as soon as it hits the hot air.

etc., etc. --- SNIP ---

It's Diesel, not "Desiel".

--
Andrew P.

[Post replies to this message on forum only]

Old May 13th 05, 01:26 AM
wingsnaprop

Guess why?
*Duh* Pollution laws, and no need for the power to weight
requirements of Aviation! Duh... whats that got to do with this topic?
Other than to show that 2 stroke Compression ignition engines are a
proven concept?

Old May 13th 05, 02:52 PM
MJC

"Andrew P." wrote in message
ink.net...
Wandering aimlessly about the Web, I heard Sport Pilot say:
You have most of it right. Some things you have wrong,

1. Desiel injection timing is differant than on an Otto engine. The
fuel is injected during the intake cycle on the Otto engine and the
fuel is injected during the ignition cycle on the Desiel. On the
Desiel the fuel injection cycle starts just before TDC and ends well
after TDC. The fuel ignites as soon as it hits the hot air.

etc., etc. --- SNIP ---

It's Diesel, not "Desiel".

--
Andrew P.

Well if you're going to get picky, it's "Auto" engine, not "Otto" engine.

MJC

Old May 13th 05, 03:03 PM
Sport Pilot

So what I often transpose letters. I don't spend time proofreading
something as trivial as a usenet messsage.

Old May 13th 05, 03:04 PM
Sport Pilot

Sooo. I oftern transpose letters, I don't proofread something as
triavil as usenet messages.

Old May 13th 05, 03:06 PM
N8N

MJC wrote:
"Andrew P." wrote in message
ink.net...
Wandering aimlessly about the Web, I heard Sport Pilot say:
You have most of it right. Some things you have wrong,

1. Desiel injection timing is differant than on an Otto engine.

The
fuel is injected during the intake cycle on the Otto engine and

the
fuel is injected during the ignition cycle on the Desiel. On the
Desiel the fuel injection cycle starts just before TDC and ends

well
after TDC. The fuel ignites as soon as it hits the hot air.

etc., etc. --- SNIP ---

It's Diesel, not "Desiel".

--
Andrew P.

Well if you're going to get picky, it's "Auto" engine, not "Otto"

engine.

MJC

Actually, it is Otto, as in 4-stroke spark ignition.

nate

Old May 13th 05, 03:47 PM
Don Stauffer

N8N wrote:
MJC wrote:

"Andrew P." wrote in message
hlink.net...

[...]

A 4-stroke diesel is still an Otto engine. An Otto cycle engine is one
with four strokes, intake, compression, power, and exhaust. Doesn't
care whether SI or CI.
Old May 13th 05, 04:31 PM
Don Stauffer

Don Stauffer wrote:

A 4-stroke diesel is still an Otto engine. An Otto cycle engine is one
with four strokes, intake, compression, power, and exhaust. Doesn't
care whether SI or CI.

Whoops

Before everyone jumps on me, I left off an important qualification. I
was specifically talking about cars, airplanes and highway trucks.
Large Diesels, (stationary, large ship, etc) do run a different cycle-
the true Diesel cycle.

However, even the true Diesel cycle of larger engines is not the true
cycle Diesel really wanted. He couldn't develop the true cycle he
wanted (constant enthalpy), and a large Diesel comes somewhat close. A
high speed (vehicle) engine doesn't even come close with even today's
technology. It is pretty close to an Otto cycle, though still not
exactly. Otto cycle has infinitesmal fraction of cycle for ignition and
burn, while even a high speed Diesel (and even the SI engine) still
ignites and burns over a finite angle of crank rotation. Still, the
result, as I say is MUCH closer to Otto than the cycle Rudy had
intended. Still makes a good engine, however :-)
Old May 13th 05, 04:45 PM
Steve

wingsnaprop wrote:

Guess why?
*Duh* Pollution laws, and no need for the power to weight
requirements of Aviation! Duh... whats that got to do with this topic?
Other than to show that 2 stroke Compression ignition engines are a
proven concept?

As already stated, 2-stroke diesels really don't have a power-to-weight
advantage over 4-strokes. They still have to have a camshaft and
exhaust valves (they aren't like weed whacker engines, you know), so
they don't save that weight. Plus they have to have a blower for
scavenge air. The only area where they save weight is in that the
connecting rod and crank can be lighter, and that only helps offset the
added weight of the blower.