2-stroke diesel is the (near) future?

Old May 14th 05, 03:59 AM
Rich S.

"LCT Paintball" wrote in message
news:M2dhe.77611$NU4.15647@attbi_s22...
Usenet Rule #5: "All posts complaining about spelling must themselves
contain at least one misspeeling".

Rich

Sorry, I missed that memo.
For the record, I disagree with you. I cannot spell, but I'm no idiot.
Some people are good at math, others are athletic, and others can spell.
Just because it's easy for you doesn't mean it is for others.

Easy is not a factor. All things worth doing require effort. What is
"cannot"?

Rich S.

Old May 14th 05, 04:35 AM
Morgans

"LCT Paintball" wrote

For the record, I disagree with you. I cannot spell, but I'm no idiot.

Some
people are good at math, others are athletic, and others can spell. Just
because it's easy for you doesn't mean it is for others.

True, but _everyone_ can take the time to re-read their post, and everyone
can learn basic rules, like their-there, to-too-two. By not doing that,
people that can't spell _do_ look like morons.

They should run spell check if'in they know they have a speeling problem,
also.
--
Jim in NC

Old May 14th 05, 04:59 AM
LCT Paintball

Easy is not a factor. All things worth doing require effort. What is
"cannot"?

Rich S.

Very good argument.

Old May 14th 05, 09:53 AM
ower

"MJC" skrev i meddelandet

Snip

1. Desiel injection timing is differant than on an Otto engine. The
fuel is injected during the intake cycle on the Otto engine and the
fuel is injected during the ignition cycle on the Desiel. On the
Desiel the fuel injection cycle starts just before TDC and ends well
after TDC. The fuel ignites as soon as it hits the hot air.

etc., etc. --- SNIP ---

It's Diesel, not "Desiel".

--
Andrew P.

Well if you're going to get picky, it's "Auto" engine, not "Otto" engine.

MJC

It is NOT auto engine it IS Otto engine, dont belive?
Google for Otto engine and see for yourself.
And pardon me for bad spelling I am not fluent in
your language.

Old May 14th 05, 10:08 AM
ower

"Morgans" skrev i meddelandet

True, but _everyone_ can take the time to re-read their post, and everyone
can learn basic rules, like their-there, to-too-two. By not doing that,
people that can't spell _do_ look like morons.

They should run spell check if'in they know they have a speeling problem,
also.
--
Jim in NC

So I am a moron if my spelling isnt correct? Bet I know more about your
language
(english) than you know of mine (swedish), and I will not call you any bad
names
if you are not correct when trying to use mine.

With bad or good spelling. Have a nice day Owe R

Old May 14th 05, 11:04 AM
Morgans

"ower" wrote

Bet I know more about your
language
(english) than you know of mine (swedish),

Well, I have to give you a break, considering you are a non English speaker.
I (and others) should have caught that fact.

Do as well as you can, and re-read your posts, and all is forgiven. g
--
Jim in NC

Old May 14th 05, 03:46 PM
Don Stauffer

Steve wrote:

I pretty much agree, although today's high-speed diesels are doing a lot
better at approchin the constant-enthalpy cycle than they used to,
thanks to being able to divorce the injection profile from crankshaft
position via electronically-controlled injection systems.

Before I retired there was a group at work doing applications research
on micromachining. One of the things they were looking at was fuel
injector controls (one for each injector). They would have had a VERY
high frequency response. We knew others were working on this (Ohio
State was one, I believe). I have heard of nothing on this since I
retired in '00, and have lost contact with the group that was doing it.
Anyone aware of current work on this? At the time it was aimed at SI
engines, but I don't see anything that would prevent it being used on
Diesels.
Old May 14th 05, 03:52 PM
Don Stauffer

Sport Pilot wrote:

The Diesel is not an Otto cycle it is a completly differant cycle. The
Diesel is a constant pressure cycle where the presure is constant
through the expansion phase.

I wouldn't say the ENTIRE expansion phase. That would not be that great
for efficiency- sort of like a steam engine running with no cutoff. And
if one injects fuel into the cylinder at the instant just before BDC,
that fuel would be pretty much wasted. I was under the impression that
the cycle would look something like the steam (Rankine) cycle in that
the way Diesel envisoned it it would be either constant enthalpy or
constant pressure of part of the expansion phase, adiabatic during the
rest. The point where it changed would correspond to what would be the
throttle opening on a steam or SI engine. At full "throttle" the
changeover would be late in stroke, light load early in stroke.
Old May 14th 05, 03:54 PM
Don Stauffer

Sport Pilot wrote:

You can only get so much speed when you inject the fuel through the
combustion or expansion cycle. High speed diesels get more speed by
injecting more of the fuel early. But an aircraft engine doesn't need
to turn more than 2500 RPM so we should be able to get the benifit of
the longer burn time.

True, but even 2500 rpm is a high speed Diesel. When we speak of low
speed Diesels, those are like the big ship and stationary engines that
run maybe 800 rpm max.
Old May 14th 05, 04:21 PM
Rich S.

Easy is not a factor. All things worth doing require effort. What is
"cannot"?

Rich S.

Very good argument.

Thanks. Age is a mitigating factor, though. I will no longer play poker for
real money. :-=

Rich S.