barrel roll in 172

Old July 21st 06, 03:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Stefan

Default barrel roll in 172

Jim Macklin schrieb:

I've always used rudder and elevator to hold the nose on a
point when rolling, the roll being done with aileron and the
nose held on the point with sometime uncoordinated use of
the controls.

Hopefully your use of the controls in a roll are well coordinated. Which
doesn't mean the ball stays in the middle.

Stefan
Old July 21st 06, 03:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_1_]

Ron;
I think what might be happening here is that some folks are defining the
roll from the set point rather than from level flight. It's true that any
raising of the nose from level flight will require more than 1 g, but once
at the set point and initiating the roll (aileron roll) you can unload the
airplane all the way down to 0 g if you like right up to the backside
recovery to level flight, where the g of course has to be returned.
Dudley Henriques

"Ron Natalie" wrote in message
m...
Big John wrote:
Andrey

As has been said in all the posts, the short answer is NO. 172 is not
certified to do barrel rolls.

However I can barrel roll a 172 only pulling 1 G which puts no more
load on airframe than straight and level flight. I have thousands of
hours to back up my statement.

No you can not.

It's not possible to even start the roll without going greater
than 1G.

Old July 21st 06, 04:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
RST Engineering

That would be, "Hey, y'all, hold my beer and watch this."

Jim

The most dangerous incidents in aviation are often proceded
by "Watch this."

Old July 21st 06, 04:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_3_]

"Jim Macklin" wrote in message
I've always used rudder and elevator to hold the nose on a
point when rolling, the roll being done with aileron and the
nose held on the point with sometime uncoordinated use of
the controls. I've never flown in competition. Never done
slow or hesitation rolls. If I had my way, I'd do a hundred
hammerheads for every roll.

I had called that an aileron roll, but from the site, that is a slow roll,
even if it is done fast! g

Which acro site, give a link and I'll check it out.

http://www.iac.org/begin/figures.html#Aileron%20Rolls

Good site.
--
Jim in NC

Old July 21st 06, 05:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

[...]

Dudley, they are not paying attention. They are thinking every maneuver
has to start and be flown from the straight and level. They don't think
in terms of up/down-lines at any angle.
ie.... Reverse half-Cuban with a barrel roll on the down 45.
Old July 21st 06, 05:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Big John

Stefan

Have done many in real life.

Go to Google and research Barrel Rolls. You will find links that show
you can do them between 0.5 G's and max G's bird is certified for.

Beside these 'experts' who posted, all I can say is fly the airplane.
If you want 1 G then fly it that way. If you can't fly it that way
then don't get in bird as you are an accident waiting to happen.

Big John
``````````````````````````````````

On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 11:10:53 +0200, Stefan
wrote:

Big John schrieb:

I'm glad your the expert.

I'm far from being an expert, but I have an idea, yes.

I used to do half of a barrel roll at one G and give to student under

If you can actually do a barrel roll without exceeding 1g at any point,
then you should immediately inform your local university. Or, better
yet, directly the nobel commitee. Because you've just proved that some
very basic physical laws are wrong.

Stefan

Old July 21st 06, 05:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Big John

Jim

You explained what has been known as a 'slow roll' since I started
flying heavy iron in the 40's. Have heard them called point rolls also
but only on rare occasions.

I thinK Stephen may be a Troll from his postings. I'm going to stop
trying to feed him (

Big John
`````````````````````````````````````````````````` ```````

Old July 21st 06, 05:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Moore

T o d d P a t t i s t wrote

Starting the BR with the aircraft track at 90 degrees to the
barrel produces a loop (no roll portion to the BR).
Starting it parallel to the barrel (and reducing the
diameter of the barrel to zero) makes it into an aileron
roll (no loop portion to the BR). Everything in between is
possible, and at some point on either side as you get closer
to the loop or aileron roll, you've got to stop calling it a
BR.

You might not have his thousands of hours, but you certainly
understand a lot more about barrel rolls than does Big John.
:-) :-) Of course, what can you expect from a person who flys
"birds" instead of "airplanes". :-)

May be some definitions...:-)

Barrel Roll....................45 degrees off axis
Aileron roll...................00 degrees off axis
Loop...........................90 degrees off axis
Sloppy barrel roll......22.5-67.5 degrees off axis
Sloppy aileron roll.......01-22.5 degrees off axis
Sloppy loop...............67.5-89 degrees off axis

Bob Moore
Old July 21st 06, 06:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 16:49:49 GMT, Bob Moore
wrote in ::

May be some definitions...:-)

Barrel Roll....................45 degrees off axis
Aileron roll...................00 degrees off axis
Loop...........................90 degrees off axis
Sloppy barrel roll......22.5-67.5 degrees off axis
Sloppy aileron roll.......01-22.5 degrees off axis
Sloppy loop...............67.5-89 degrees off axis

This refers to the direction of flight relative to the longitudinal
axis of the aircraft?

Old July 21st 06, 06:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Big John

Ron

Wrong choice of words.

Straight and level your G meter reads one G,(force of gravity) if
calabrated correctly. You roll into a turn and pull one G (2 G's on
meter) to make a one G turn. Please correct my posts to show this.

I should have said two G's on meter and things would work out. Sorry
about that (

Big John