$640.00 to fill the tanks...

Old August 21st 06, 03:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily[_1_]

Default POL $640.00 to fill the tanks...

Jay Honeck wrote:

I'm not a fan of Walmart (they STILL owe me money, from my previous
business). They are absolute *******s to do business with, from the
vendor end -- but I can't argue the fact that their employees are
friendly, outgoing, well-trained, and helpful.

My gosh...I can't think of a place around here with as uneducated, rude,
trashy, and unhelpful employees as Wal-Mart.

Ok, except the DFW parking authority people.
Old August 21st 06, 03:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Noel

In article . com,
"Jay Honeck" wrote:

I'm not a fan of Walmart (they STILL owe me money, from my previous
business). They are absolute *******s to do business with, from the
vendor end -- but I can't argue the fact that their employees are
friendly, outgoing, well-trained, and helpful.

At least they are around here.

Maybe it's just Iowa...

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

Old August 21st 06, 03:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

Sorry Jay, but I see the other side of this. I have been in a four year
battle to save the last full square mile of wetlands in Ridgefield from
being turned into golf courses, condos, business and industrial
development, and other icky things that would destroy our little town.

I've never been to Iowa City, so I don't know what the impact of such a
store would be on the feel of the town, but I can understand those who
don't want such a behemoth in their back yard, and also understand those
who don't want to be shafted by WalMart itself. When the mall went up
by Danbury airport, a lot of the local stores on Main Street were
affected, and at this point it's mostly real estate offices. However, I
also understand the benefits of such megastores, and do shop at the mall.

Incredibly, the SAME THREE PEOPLE from the late 1970s (a group of
former hippies -- Iowa City is chock full of 'em) reconstituted itself
to stop THIS Walmart store.

It is a threat to their way of life. You would too if it were to
replace an airport, and thus threaten your way of life.

The city had allowed a zoning variance on
the land, in order to facilitate Walmart's purchase

Zoning variances are just like printing money. It's one of the ways the
municipality can favor one group over another. The variances that our
developer wanted (for the Bennetts Pond property) would have ultimately
raised its value from $8 million to $30 million, depending on how you
calculate. All windfall to the developer, and on the backs of the taxpayer.

Everything was done to take the maximum amount of time possible

That's our legal system. That's how it works. You would do the same
thing to save an airport, wouldn't you?

They then decided not to allow another variance that
Walmart was seeking to change the land from a "100 year
flood plain" to something less restrictive

My sister lived in a "100 year flood plain". Her house flooded eight
feet deep. We later found out that it flooded the same way several
years before. It turns out that "100 year flood plain" means, if the
land is undisturbed, that on the average it floods once per hundred
years. But once the land around it is developed, floods typically
happen more often, sometimes an order of magnitude more often. The
designation however is rarely changed. Developing the parcel may well
cause it to flood more often. Making it =more= restrictive is what is
called for, not making it =less= restrictive. All of this of course
depends on the specific geology of the site, but I doubt they did a
hundred year study.

It was really a simple wording change, but...)

"It's just a standard contract, you don't need to read it..."

for example, they would not
let us hang a "Grand Opening" banner at the hotel, when we opened in
2002, because of some absurd local ordinance.

It's only absurd to you because you wanted to hang the sign. It may
well be that the tonwspeople didn't want to look at the sign. They have
a right to that, via the legislative process - a process that works so
well we're exporting it at gunpoint to the middle east.

they were able to defeat the building of a
new store that (a) would have provided jobs for hundreds, (b) would
have meant development of restaurants and retail stores on the out-lots
all around, and (c) would have made our airport financially
self-sufficient.

All those are positives, but there are negatives too. It's all a
balance, and other people's rights count too.

The "Stop Walmart" folks are nothing but selfish, pompous asses, who
have harmed more working Americans...

Translation: "Your ox got gored, and you don't like it."

Putting up a Walmart would also harm working Americans. Again, I don't
know the specifics of your town, but I am here to tell you that the
negative impact of development here in Ridgefield CT is quite onerous,
and the steamroller keeps on coming.

Jose
--
The monkey turns the crank and thinks he's making the music.
Old August 21st 06, 03:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Noel

In article ,
Jose wrote:

for example, they would not
let us hang a "Grand Opening" banner at the hotel, when we opened in
2002, because of some absurd local ordinance.

It's only absurd to you because you wanted to hang the sign. It may
well be that the tonwspeople didn't want to look at the sign. They have
a right to that, via the legislative process - a process that works so
well we're exporting it at gunpoint to the middle east.

Have you seen the area of town around Jay's hotel? Hanging a banner, ANY
banner would be improvement - cripes, it's nothing but store after store after
ugly store... Don't think farms, and corn, etc when thinking of Iowa City.

(Sorry Jay - the beautiful part is the airport)

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

Old August 21st 06, 04:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

Have you seen the area of town around Jay's hotel?

No. I said that up top.

Hanging a banner, ANY
banner would be improvement - cripes, it's nothing but store after store after
ugly store... Don't think farms, and corn, etc when thinking of Iowa City.

Then maybe it's too late for Iowa City residents. We're trying to
prevent that from happening where I live.

I don't say the rules are appropriate for that town (although the
residents, through their government proxies, think so). What I do say
is that if the town thinks it's an appropriate restriction, Jay is in
the minority with his opinion that it is "absurd".

I wonder how "store after store after ugly store" gets by with no signage.

Jose
--
The monkey turns the crank and thinks he's making the music.
Old August 21st 06, 05:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Montblack[_1_]

("Jose" wrote)
How is this =really= different from WalMart jumping in and crushing all
the local stores? Think for a moment.

Wall-Mart doesn't invest $60 million to get back $4 million, or even $4
million ...per year. The city plays by different marketplace rules - a
little like Al Capone.

Montblack

Old August 21st 06, 07:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Noel

In article ,
Jose wrote:

I wonder how "store after store after ugly store" gets by with no signage.

signs are everywhere.

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

Old August 21st 06, 01:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

I wonder how "store after store after ugly store" gets by with no signage.
signs are everywhere.

Are they in compliance? What was so eggregious about Jay's sign?

Jose
--
The monkey turns the crank and thinks he's making the music.
Old August 21st 06, 03:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

"Michelle Settle" wrote in message

"Gig 601XL Builder" wrDOTgiaconaATcox.net wrote in message

Those stores must adapt or die. It is not that hard to compete with
Wal-Mart as a specialty store. All you have to do is provide something
that Wal-Mart cannot. That something is usually service or expertise.
There is a reason that the most expensive retail real estate in any given
town is next to a Wal-Mart.

I find it amazing that you need explained this to an adult.

Michelle

So do I Michelle, so do I.

Old August 21st 06, 03:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

"Don Tuite" wrote in message
On Sat, 19 Aug 2006 12:24:43 -0600, Newps wrote:

Jose wrote:
A lumberyard? Have you ever been to a Wal Mart?

Sorry. I was thinking Home Depot. Other examples would apply though.

No they don't. Wal Mart does not put well run, efficient businesses out
of business.

I've heard that they overbuy from small suppliers, squeeze the margins
out of them with promises of large volumes,thereby limiting those
suppliers to a single customer, bankrupt them and take over the
assets. I don't have any first-hand verification, though. Fifty years
ago, the same stories were told about Sears Roebuck.

There is the potential to do that. The little guy wouldn't be able to
compete because he couldn't get the stock.

Don

Actually it is a story that was told about Sears that evolved into a story
about Wal-Mart. While Wal-Mart may be at times a little slow paying vendors
I can find no case where Wal-Mart has taken over a vendor that they put into
financial problems. For that mater I can't find a case of WM taking over a
vendor.

They did take over a bank only after they realized that 85% of the money in
that bank was Walton family money.

Wal-Mart does have one interesting policy though. If you are vendor you must
have an office in the Northwest area. It doesn't mater if you supply 1 item
or 1000. The population in NWA metro area has just about doubled in the last
10 years.